Discuss What size is this supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Am I right in saying that some meters are only rated to 80A, so can’t have a 100A fuse.
Can’t tell from your photo.
Yes, although I think most if not all "smart" ones are 100A
My home "traditional" meter is 80A.

I looked at that and it looks like it is from the E470 series, which is 100A, but it isn't clear enough to see properly.

Ultimately the DNO is the only one to indicate what the max rating is, the size of the fuse carrier, cable, meter etc only gives a possible upper limit.

The capacity of the network, could also be a limit.

DNOs and suppliers/meter fitters standardise on ratings of kit, they stock only 100A carriers (to reduce stock levels), many now only use 25mm^2 so the meter fitters don't have to learn to size cables.

That intake has a limit of 60A due to the fuse, changing the fuse doesn't necessarily mean the capacity can be increased, it may be, but it may be it means something is unprotected against overload.

Last edited:
They may well have put a label on to identify the fuse. They probably didn't change the fuse though.
I think the newish looking seal is the give away. It would have been put there when the meter was changed. Nevertheless we do not know, until the fuse is looked at, and the incoming cable assessed of being capable of supplying 100A.

I think the newish looking seal is the give away. It would have been put there when the meter was changed. Nevertheless we do not know, until the fuse is looked at, and the incoming cable assessed of being capable of supplying 100A.

Absolutely. No way of knowing. Has your friend contacted the supplier yet?

It doesn't matter if the incoming cable is capable of 100A, it still doesn't mean that supply has a capacity of 100A.

DNOs apply diversity just as electricians do, the capacity of the distribution transformer determines how many supplies may be connected at 60A, upping some customers to 100A may well mean a larger transformer is required.

One cannot assume that because a certain size cable, fuse carrier, meter etc has been fitted that there is capacity.

I doubt the fuse has been changed, the meter fitter is likely to have removed the fuse, fitted meter, refited the fuse, applied new seals, and applied a label showing the fuse size.

Last edited:
Absolutely. No way of knowing. Has your friend contacted the supplier yet?
Not yet, he is assessing what appliances he needs. He wanted a high kW five ring induction hob which draws a lot of amps. I told him to go for an Induction hob that runs off a 13A plug if he can only have 60A. He may have to use a Garo priority box to cut out the heating and/or EV charger while a shower is being used, etc. If he had 100A he would have no worries, now he may have to prepare to work around the limits of a 60A supply.

Not yet, he is assessing what appliances he needs. He wanted a high kW five ring induction hob which draws a lot of amps. I told him to go for an Induction hob that runs off a 13A plug if he can only have 60A. He may have to use a Garo priority box to cut out the heating and/or EV charger while a shower is being used, etc. If he had 100A he would have no worries, now he may have to prepare to work around the limits of a 60A supply.

What about contacting the DNO? Has he not done that yet?

It doesn't matter if the incoming cable is capable of 100A, it still doesn't mean that supply has a capacity of 100A.

DNOs apply diversity just as electricians do, the capacity of the distribution transformer determines how many supplies may be connected at 60A, upping some customers to 100A may well mean a larger transformer is required.

One cannot assume that because a certain size cable, fuse carrier, meter etc has been fitted that there is capacity.

I doubt the fuse has been changed, the meter fitter is likely to have removed the fuse, fitted meter, refited the fuse, applied new seals, and applied a label showing the fuse size.
Something tells me he was downgraded - just a hunch. If he was dowgarded to a 60A fuse, which does happen, you will find the DNO would have marked out streets or an area then put 60A in the lot. Or ensured 60A was inserted when a smart meter was fitted, as take up may be enough to make a difference in downgrading in an area. They do it by stealth. This maybe in preparartion for the EV charger onslaught, followed by elimination of gas. Hopefully in the interim they put in enough electrical capacity.

An all electric house they would have left alone, as the odd 100A draw off makes no difference here or there. Few houses with gas supplies are all electric. Especially those built with heating systems from new.

He needs to look in houses around to see if they still have 100A supplies. All those adjacent foolishly took up the big brother smart meter, so they all may have 60A fuses.

I had the DNO out once to pull a old fuse, tails were 16mm between cutout and meter, from meter to CU 25mm, it had a 100A fuse, due to tails being 16mm he said he would have to down rate to 80 or 60. I said no thanks wait there and got some 25mm off the van, then changed the tails and said we will keep the 100A if you dont mind, he phoned the depot and begrudgingly put it back in... i thought it was a matter of principle

I’ve never known of a smart meter installer change a fuse rating, ever. I don’t think they are allowed to.
In fact they have a form for if the tails are undersized and tell the customer to contact a sparks. I’ve seen this a few times. In my area they kindly fit 25mm tails to an isolator too.

It seems rather pointless speculating about what might have been the case once, and which bunch of capitalists are to blame, the bottom line is it has a 60amp supply and if he really needs more then he needs to phone the DNO.

I’ve never known of a smart meter installer change a fuse rating, ever. I don’t think they are allowed to.
In fact they have a form for if the tails are undersized and tell the customer to contact a sparks. I’ve seen this a few times. In my area they kindly fit 25mm tails to an isolator too.

It seems rather pointless speculating about what might have been the case once, and which bunch of capitalists are to blame, the bottom line is it has a 60amp supply and if he really needs more then he needs to phone the DNO.
I can only speak as a former energy provider MOP, we were not allowed to down grade or up grade cutout fuses, cant speak for other providers.

I had the DNO out once to pull a old fuse, tails were 16mm between cutout and meter, from meter to CU 25mm, it had a 100A fuse, due to tails being 16mm he said he would have to down rate to 80 or 60. I said no thanks wait there and got some 25mm off the van, then changed the tails and said we will keep the 100A if you dont mind, he phoned the depot and begrudgingly put it back in... i thought it was a matter of principle
I have the impression they told him to downgrade whenever he could. It would be fun if hubby had high current drawing equipment in his rear workshop the DNO man never knew about.

Why did he make a phone call to the depot? That makes no sese. Maybe he was told to drop the rating before going - a matter of policy.

Reply to What size is this supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock