Discuss what size wire do i need for welder in garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

poke

-
Reaction score
Hi garage 37 metres away .From main consumer unit in house to a consumer unit in garage 47 metres .The garage runs off 2.5 swp under ground and operates lights 6 amp and a 32 amp ring everything works ok for what I used it for ,now I am thinking of running a welder .So my question is would you run it in 4mm 6mm or 10mm cable. Welder not bought yet but around the 200amp to 220 mark ,would it cause any problems with next doors supply that they may moan about and how can I check first .

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.
@Murdoch post above is most probably not you want to hear, but it's what you need to do..

No that's fine was going to anyway, just wanted heads up on the cable size .But I can see theres more to it .Voltage drop etc .It would go under a block paving drive what is the regs on that how deep etc

Your best bet is get an electrician to quote and design it first then to save money you could dig the trench and help lay the cable

He is going to do the job himself, Best not to give any advice because the job has not been seen and the advice could be wrong, best if the OP just gets a spark in.

What is your incoming supply to your house mate?
As @Ian1981 has already questioned, are you sure the Welder is 200 amp?

MDJ the only part I would do is lay the cable in the ground your correct ,that's why I was asking the thoughts of people on here what size cable .But if you think it would be better having spark look and advise first ,fair enough. Its no problem .

Reactions: MDJ
Hi Poke
From your post I suspect you have limited experience of electric or welding?
The 200/220 amp will be the welder output. Not the input.
I suggest you determine what you will need to weld and then consult a welder and an electrician.

Good luck.

that's correct devonchris input maybe 16a to 32a depending what I get just wanted to see what sort of size cable you guys would use to supply garage .House is 100a service .But I will seek tec

Not going to comment to much on this but i will say the cable size 2.5 mm from the house consumer unit to the garage board is the weakest link so installing certain size cable from the garage board to the new welder socket will not be the problem here. The work is also notifiable and not the sort of thing a DIYer should undertake. Please consult an electrician who will check the specific requirements and specifications of your new welder and design the circuit to suit. He will also advise on the cable route so you may save some money digging the trench for him.

I recommend 8.36mm cable.

I would recommend 0.8mm or 1.00mm with soft wire rollers,for ally.

The OP has neither stated what type of welder it is MIG/TIG/ARC or ARC/TIG Inverter. All of which will have a different supply requirement.

or buy a gas welder.

Reply to what size wire do i need for welder in garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net