Discuss What sort of prices should I be charging? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Surely your rate needs to reflect where you are and how much others are charging?

£20 is nonsense either way. People call a spark as they want to sleep safe at night knowing the work was carried out by a pro, so being that cheap is as likely to lose business as win it. And then when you do win it you're hardly making any money.

I suppose the first move is to check out the rates of other local sparks. If you want to be busy in a hurry, go for a mall but worthwhile undercut on their rates until you're established in the area.

At least the feedback you're getting is positive though, you're about to start earning way more than you apparently thought you would ;)

Surely your rate needs to reflect where you are and how much others are charging?

£20 is nonsense either way. People call a spark as they want to sleep safe at night knowing the work was carried out by a pro, so being that cheap is as likely to lose business as win it. And then when you do win it you're hardly making any money.

I suppose the first move is to check out the rates of other local sparks. If you want to be busy in a hurry, go for a mall but worthwhile undercut on their rates until you're established in the area.

At least the feedback you're getting is positive though, you're about to start earning way more than you apparently thought you would ;)

Sparks are of different abilities. Some can achieve a lot of install or if there is an issue figure out a lot in an hour. Another may achieve no where near as much. Some are a bargain at £40 an hour and some would be terrible value at £10 an hour lol.
In the employed world the not so good ones get it better than they should as they are on hourly the same as the more productive ones.

In the case of self employed it is a much better system. A job is worth what it is worth. A more effective and efficient spark will have a higher rate. That's why price work is so much better for the self employed.

Sparks are of different abilities. Some can achieve a lot of install or if there is an issue figure out a lot in an hour. Another may achieve no where near as much.
In the employed world the not so good ones get it better than they should as they are on hourly the same as the more productive ones.

In the case of self employed it is a much better system. A job is worth what it is worth. A more effective and efficient spark will have a higher rate. That's why price work is so much better for the self employed.

I understand your point. But from a customers point of view, many will compare hourly rates. Unless they know how good you are because of recommendation - but then you pretty much have the job anyway.

This guy has to base his rates on something, and figuring out what others charge in the same area is a big part of that puzzle. If it were me, and I were getting going (which I once was), I would certainly make sure I was at the cheaper end of the range until I had a firmer grasp of what I could justify vs others.

I recently (a few months ago) went from £25/Hour to £30/Hour with a minimum of £50.

I have not noticed any difference, i am still winning around 80-90% of work.

I am thinking of going to £35/hour next year.

Location will make a difference, south Wales to London will vary massivly.
I am in North Bristol which i would imagine is somewhere in the middle of the price brackets.

Remember an extra £30 a day for each customer is peanuts to the customer, but thats an extra £6K to you.

as others have said location makes a big difference, im in Suffolk (obviously) charge £28 per hour, I know 3 other electricians and 3 plumbers who also all charge the same so its kinda what I've settled for to be on par with the others, if you want a few £ more its easier to put it on material and still look cheap on paper hourly ;)

I charge £45 per hour. I'm not telling where I am, as I don't want you lot moving hear diluting the rate.

I used to charge £25 per hour until I met a fellow spark who was charging £40 an hour.
I couldn't believe how busy he was. We did a few jobs together and he said people didn't bat an eye at the price.
Over night I increased my price from £25 to £40 per hour. I nervously did a few quotes not thinking I would get the and amazingly every one accepted the quotes. I went from about £22,000 per year to £30,000 per year over night.
Yes I lost a few customers but do I really want or need customers who are only paying me £25 per hour.
Last year I went up to £45 per hour and will soon be going to £50 per hour.

People will pay.

I live not far from you Pete and quoted a job Bovey, when the customer of the 5 bedroom house asked for my hourly rate he nigh on choked on his Waitrose Parma ham and artichoke bagel.
I said if you want cheap and cheerful go elsewhere, I use quality kit with a modest markup and charge a reasonable (£30p/h) rate.
The next job I did win that was 5 miles down the road. I agreed to do the work for what the previous electrician quoted which I worked out to be about £45p/h. I am putting my rate up from Jan to a more comfortable £37.50 and charging more for materials, cost plus 10% seems fair.

Reply to What sort of prices should I be charging? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock