Discuss What steps should I take to become an apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jacob119

Hi

I am 20 years old and have finally found the career that I want to follow but I am having trouble finding an apprenticeship. I have no electrical experience and no qualifications but I am wondering what steps I should take to get myself an apprenticeship. As I am in full time work and can no longer afford to give up working Is there a beginner course I can take at the weekend that is desirable to employers?

Thanks

Jacob

you could start with college evening classes. think the course is now 2365 ( used to be 2330 ).

Hi

I am 20 years old and have finally found the career that I want to follow but I am having trouble finding an apprenticeship. I have no electrical experience and no qualifications but I am wondering what steps I should take to get myself an apprenticeship. As I am in full time work and can no longer afford to give up working Is there a beginner course I can take at the weekend that is desirable to employers?

Thanks

Jacob

So because you now want to become an electrician at the age of 20, the industry should shorten/adjust/downgrade etc, the basic training requirements of an electrician to suite your needs?? ...No mate, basically if you can't and/or won't put the required time and effort into becoming a qualified electrician, i suggest you find some other vocation to follow!! There is ''NO Quick Fix'' to becoming an electrician, end of.....

So because you now want to become an electrician at the age of 20, the industry should shorten/adjust/downgrade etc, the basic training requirements of an electrician to suite your needs?? ...No mate, basically if you can't and/or won't put the required time and effort into becoming a qualified electrician, i suggest you find some other vocation to follow!! There is ''NO Quick Fix'' to becoming an electrician, end of.....

Eng54 they have shorted the training havnt they Electrical Trainee lol.

DON'T WE KNOW IT!! But then they are anything BUT qualified, and look at the results we've had from that!!

Totally agree, just read a post on micc cables, the amount of Electricians on here that cant work on the stuff or have only worked on it at tech college just beggars believe!!

Totally agree, just read a post on micc cables, the amount of Electricians on here that cant work on the stuff or have only worked on it at tech college just beggars believe!!

Love the stuff myself, and all of our projects the FA systems are generally exclusively MICC!! Believe it or not, the senior Chinese site electricians that are student trained in MICC, are pretty damned good, and seem to be teaching the Junior electricians!! Mind that'll probably be for their own benefit rather than that of the junior electricians ..lol!!

Love the stuff myself, and all of our projects the FA systems are generally exclusively MICC!! Believe it or not, the senior Chinese site electricians that are student trained in MICC, are pretty damned good, and seem to be teaching the Junior electricians!! Mind that'll probably be for their own benefit rather than that of the junior electricians ..lol!!
asI said in another post some colleges don't even teach pyro now quote"as it is all done with fp200 instead" yeah right I've never seen petrol pumps or refineries or chemical plants wired in fp but with all the dumbing down maybe it will come to that,what a worrying thought.

You can work a whole, diversified electrical career, and never touch the stuff as it has been superseded. Myself, i have only done it in college, and one 'on site' repair. There is a reason that it has been dropped from the AM2, and the reason is the one I just quoted - it's rarely touched nowadays.

Pity, as I enjoyed working with it, but there we go. Just because the older sparks used to use massive pyro and rawl plug tools and wooden bending blocks doesn't mean that more recently trained sparks are worth less.

The biggest pity is the GENERAL lack of pride in whatever type of work is being done. This forum has just a FRACTION of pitiful installations done, mostly, by 'probably' qualified sparks 'on the take'.

You can work a whole, diversified electrical career, and never touch the stuff as it has been superseded. Myself, i have only done it in college, and one 'on site' repair. There is a reason that it has been dropped from the AM2, and the reason is the one I just quoted - it's rarely touched nowadays.

Pity, as I enjoyed working with it, but there we go. Just because the older sparks used to use massive pyro and rawl plug tools and wooden bending blocks doesn't mean that more recently trained sparks are worth less.

The biggest pity is the GENERAL lack of pride in whatever type of work is being done. This forum has just a FRACTION of pitiful installations done, mostly, by 'probably' qualified sparks 'on the take'.

That's a shame, side of the times!!!

Well i can't think of another mechanically sound wiring system that can handle 250+ C temperatures with the right pot sealing material!! Which is exactly what was used in HK's MTR metro system....

Most of the let's just say, Large petrochem project installations i've seen in the Middle and Far East have been installed in MICC cable. literary hundreds of miles of the stuff, all neatly dressed and installed on cable tray. Mostly installed by Indian, Pakistani, Filipino electricians too!!

MICC hasn't been superseded, far from it, there is nothing on the market that can come close to touching it, please don't quote FP200 and it's derivatives, these are poor substitutes for MICC cable!!
You'll also find that many insurance companies insist on any ancient church/cathedral buildings and the like, use MICC cable installations throughout.

I did some petrol pumps on a station refurb years ago.
the potting compound was a 2 pack item that set brick hard if I remember rightly along with earth tail pots.
is it still the same stuff that's used?
you would need compex certs I would imagine these days to do them.
It was quite an interesting job really

I have the same problem, i have passed C&G 2330, cscs test, maths and english at c plus many functional skills,driving license and emergency aid. Just keep trying and don't be too picky i have had multiple employers of apprenticeships say its because of funding, I can't even find any labouring work because i have no on-site experience. It's a tough job market but i'm just going to keep trying and someone will find this diamond in the dirt. good luck

Hi

Thanks

Jacob
hmm....

- - - Updated - - -

what shall we call this?
Jacob`s ladder?

Reply to What steps should I take to become an apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net