Discuss What Tests to Do Prior To CU Change in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Basically what i do is this,

Visually inspect the lighting to maintain whether or not there is an earth,
Check the main bonding cables for size and condition,
Ask the customer about any alterations electrically to the property they are aware of, extensions etc
Shower cable size (if there is one)
Basic visual inspection of switch and socket faces, lights etc

All this can be done in about 20 minutes and should be part of the initial visit when giving a quote.

Then explain to the customer that the price quoted is based on a pre-test price and due to the age of the installation you cannot be sure of its condition until you change the board and test the circuits, explain that if any circuits are found to be in an unsatisfactory state you will not be able to re-energise them until the faults are corrected, you will re quote for that work.

Explain that most of the time if they are not experiencing problems electrically at the moment then everything is probably ok and any small problems will be corrected free as a matter of course during the test procedure.

I find most customers are happy with this and understand that because the installation is normally quite old then it is not unthinkable to think something might be sub standard.

Hope this helps.;)

If there is no earth on the lighting circuit, as per most of the older properties in the UK, would one continue with the CCU install with a recommendation that the wiring be replaced in the future or would you refuse the replacement until the earthing was addressed?

Hey.

I always do an I/R test on the circuits before changing the DB at least then if there's any faults, you know about them beforehand and can advise the customer of whats needed rather than finding out theres a fault when your trying to switch on:eek:

Cheers

With all due respect kfordhunter, how visually inspecting the lighting tell you if there is an adequate earth there or not, i go with lenny on this one, that I/R test sorts the lot out for me, and gives you a lot better idea straight away, the visuals we do is look at the out going cabling from C/U just 1x piece of old VIR tells you alot again straight away, that to us means there is a very good chance that else where in the premise there is more VIR, and a lokk in the loft usually does it, REWIRE.

With all due respect johnnyb checking to see whether or not there is an earth in the lighting confirms
just that. whether it is continuous throught the circuit is proved on the testing.

If the earth is not continuous that means the circuit cannot be re-energised and i quote for the repair, why would you perform i/r tests for free just in case, if the board needs replacing it needs replacing and they have to pay for the work to be done.

Put a fair price in and leave it at that.

why would you perform i/r tests for free just in case,.

Not sure about free. This, i would have thought, should be done as a matter of course, to confirm integrity of the cables and that no nasty surprises are lurking.

Plus the fact, you need to fill out a full schedule of test results for a cu change.

if a consumer unit needs changing it needs changing, the existing circuits will need to be put on it, so you do the checks i have already stated then give the price and warn about possible problems, then if you get the job change the c/u, in doing this i perform all the relevant checks and tests on all circuits, R1+R2, I/R, Zs, Ze, RCD Tests etc If and only if the circuits meet the criteria as far as the results go i re-energise them, if they fail i quote for repairs.

This hang up about I/R previous to board change what does that prove, you I/R the lights, that doesn't prove continuity of the earth or the circuits Zs, you I/R sockets, again does not prove continuity or Zs, Does not prove rcd disconnection times, these are only found when you fully test everything.

Does this mean you charge for full tests on old fusebox and if the circuits are ok charge to change board, if a circuit is not up to standard it needs correcting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so you steam in and change the C.U. You've swapped the boards over and reconnected everything you're switching on and the RCD wont hold - theres a fault.

Sorry love you've got a problem here your wirings faulty it wont stay on to which she replies "well it was fine before you started messing with it"

"I think your ripping me off, I've heard about guys like you, I'm ringing watchdog"

So if you want to work again you either put the old board back and earn nothing for the day or get paid for the board change but spend a couple of hours fault finding for free!!

The only reason I do an I/R test beforehand is so that I can make the customer aware aof any lurking faults before I start so we can discuss wether I'm still to go ahead and change the board or if they no longer want the job doing due to the extra cost.

After I've completed then the full testing is done.

Not gripping mate, just visually inspecting the lighting, how does that prove the earth is continuous or not, thats the question i was asking, not being funny, cause i cannot see how you can prove it visually speaking.

Reply to What Tests to Do Prior To CU Change in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock