Discuss What the eye's can't see? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ipf

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Heard one on Wednesday....from someone involved.
An 85 years old almost totally BLIND lady, whilst not requesting it, had a Test and Inspection carried out by someone representing the housing association who own her property.
Later she entered her bathroom and attempted to switch on the shower, only to receive a quite nasty electric shock. Luckily, she wasn't badly injured and recovered quickly.
She called her daughter, who arrived shortly afterwards. Her daughter found the shower control unit open, the lid separated in the room. She took photos and got onto the association.
The situation is ongoing.
As far as I'm concerned, things are getting beyond belief.
By the way, the lady expressed concern that the bloke responsible might loose his job......old school, thinking of others, eh!

The person that failed at their job should be taken through every action available.
At least it would put in place a plan to prevent further mistakes or even put them on what is generally an personal improvement plan where further training is given.
Personally they left the installation in a worse condition and should not be doing testing at all

If she had died from that oversight because they were busy, could be looking at jail time.

We all work in an industry where negligence and poor workmanship can put peoples lives at risk.

I do not accept the comment that we all make mistakes when we are busy.

We can all make mistakes, we are human after all. However a quick walk round at the end of a job is hardly going to make the difference between hitting target and failing.
You might even find the odd screwdriver that you forgot about.

It is our job to be thorough and it is down to us to ensure the safety of the people in the buildings we work on. Don’t forget that if there is a fatal shock, the buck might stop at YOU.

Edit, that was not meant to offend you buzz. But have a think about it?

I wrote it honestly, then Back read it and re read buzz post and just thought I would add the note. As it was not my intention to offend or start an argument.
P.s. you can’t put a lid on a shower, best you can do is use an umbrella!!!

I wrote it honestly, then Back read it and re read buzz post and just thought I would add the note. As it was not my intention to offend or start an argument.
P.s. you can’t put a lid on a shower, best you can do is use an umbrella!!!
Read his previous post #2 :)

This could run and run....
If the electrician was negligent, then he’ll be at fault.
If the “electrician” was not suitably qualified, then his boss will be in trouble too for sending him to do the job in the first place.
If his boss was under pressure to get things done whatever cost then his boss could be in trouble...

Can we blame it on Boris now and save a bit of time.;)

I can see the scenario. Cover off shower, loop test we then automatically isolate and refit shower. Maybe in this case, loop test and phone rings or text comes through. What's most important, get side tracked and attend to phone, cover happily stays laying about and forgotten.

I can see the scenario. Cover off shower, loop test we then automatically isolate and refit shower. Maybe in this case, loop test and phone rings or text comes through. What's most important, get side tracked and attend to phone, cover happily stays laying about and forgotten.
Yep, most likely the case, but no excuse. It could have been a whole lot worse than "a nasty shock" in this particular scenario.

That’s not a near miss. She received a shock so it’s an incident.

I could be rusty but RIDDOR 2013 doesn't list electric shock as reportable?

"Accidents to members of the public or others who are not at work must be reported if they result in an injury and the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury. Examinations and diagnostic tests do not constitute ‘treatment’ in such circumstances"

I work in the oil industry and an electrocution would be a serious incident and the contractor responsible hauled over the coals big time. It would be labelled a HIPO - unplanned HSE incident or near-miss that has the potential severity to cause permanent disability or death

Heard one on Wednesday....from someone involved.
An 85 years old almost totally BLIND lady, whilst not requesting it, had a Test and Inspection carried out by someone representing the housing association who own her property.
Later she entered her bathroom and attempted to switch on the shower, only to receive a quite nasty electric shock. Luckily, she wasn't badly injured and recovered quickly.
She called her daughter, who arrived shortly afterwards. Her daughter found the shower control unit open, the lid separated in the room. She took photos and got onto the association.
The situation is ongoing.
As far as I'm concerned, things are getting beyond belief.
By the way, the lady expressed concern that the bloke responsible might loose his job......old school, thinking of others, eh!
The sod should be fined not just lose his job!!

Reply to What the eye's can't see? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock