Discuss What the hell is this main fuse? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is a special level of Fail here.
  1. Not only did they use a different brand of replacement switch, but they managed to chose MK which (I think) are one of the few CU makers that have the switch on the left.
  2. Then to compound it, instead of just swapping L & N designators on the switch they have fudged the neutral bar wire and busbar in some way to fit it in.
  3. And let us not forget the burned live cable that has sufficient slack lower down to at least have had the worst 2cm or so removed and stripped back.
A photo showing the busbar at the incomer switch would be interesting!

There is a special level of Fail here.
  1. Not only did they use a different brand of replacement switch, but they managed to chose MK which (I think) are one of the few CU makers that have the switch on the left.
  2. Then to compound it, instead of just swapping L & N designators on the switch they have fudged the neutral bar wire and busbar in some way to fit it in.
  3. And let us not forget the burned live cable that has sufficient slack lower down to at least have had the worst 2cm or so removed and stripped back.
A photo showing the busbar at the incomer switch would be interesting!
Unfortunately no pic of busbar PC. If upgraded tails to double insulated and swapped terminations over at main switch do you think this would bring installation upto satisfactory?

Unfortunately no pic of busbar PC. If upgraded tails to double insulated and swapped terminations over at main switch do you think this would bring installation upto satisfactory?
As freddo says you can get the correct switch fairly cheaply so best to replace it and fit new double insulated tails (assuming no butchery of the busbar to make the MK one fit). The 19-strand flexible ones make life a who lot easier!

On checking main fuse I come across what you can see in photo. A hollow round tube in fuse link terminals. This surely isn't legit? The fuse was sealed so I assume it was supplier that put it in

Red cutouts are disconnect links, not fuses.
They are also sealed and should not be removed by anyone other than a person authorised by the DNO or meter operator, the seal on that one has this clearly written on it!

One thing that surprised me was no isolator for shower hardwired in. What's your take on that?
My initial reaction is that is wrong, there ought to be an accessible means of isolation, but off-hand I don't know if that is actually required.

Any idea why? Was there an old wall or pull switch that had been bypassed to save upgrading it to match current rating, or simply none ever fitted at all?

One thing that surprised me was no isolator for shower hardwired in. What's your take on that?

What is your take on that? Do you think this is non-compliant with BS7671 and if so do you think it is something which affects safety and therfore needs to be coded?

As a person carrying out EICRs you obviously have a greater than average knowledge of the regulations.

You are carrying out the EICR and should know what needs be done to bring the installation up to a condition to comply with when the regulations when installed

My initial reaction is that is wrong, there ought to be an accessible means of isolation, but off-hand I don't know if that is actually required.

Any idea why? Was there an old wall or pull switch that had been bypassed to save upgrading it to match current rating, or simply none ever fitted at all?

No, no signs of any pc. Think it was just initially hardwired without an isolator

Agreed but only test and inspect to when installed
Partly, but judgement needs to be applied. There are still plenty of (1970's) installations wired at a time when no RCD protection was installed even to external socket outlets. Lack of RCD protection to an external socket would now be a code 2.

What is your take on that? Do you think this is non-compliant with BS7671 and if so do you think it is something which affects safety and therfore needs to be coded?

As a person carrying out EICRs you obviously have a greater than average knowledge of the regulations.

My understanding of regs is that there is no actual regulation that specifies need for local isolation? The mcb is adequate to provide the isolation. Although that said shower should be installed to manufacturers instruction but as cannot gain access to this at the most I should note this on report but in terms of a regulation to back up a coding I am not aware of this. I may be wrong and hear others takes on it that is why I ask to be sure.

My understanding of regs is that there is no actual regulation that specifies need for local isolation? The mcb is adequate to provide the isolation. Although that said shower should be installed to manufacturers instruction but as cannot gain access to this at the most I should note this on report but in terms of a regulation to back up a coding I am not aware of this. I may be wrong and hear others takes on it that is why I ask to be sure.
Note that not all MCB's are deemed adequate as a means of safe isolation for maintenance and repair, 3871's for example.

Agreed but only test and inspect to when installed

No you don't, EICRs are carried out to the current edition of BS7671, as is made plainly clear in BS7671.

It is also made plainly clear that compliance with a previous edition of BS7671 does not necessarily mean that something should be recorded as an observation or altered. A lot of people misread or misunderstand the statement made, it clearly says 'not necessarily' but a lot of people incorrectly read it as 'does not'.
'not necessarily' means that it may or may not be non compliant, but that it cannot be judged as non compliant on the sole grounds of a change having been made to BS7671, it means that the item in question must affect safety or be of provable benefit to the installation to be recorded as an observation.

A good example is the change of conductor colours, red and black conductors do not comply with the current edition of BS7671 but this does not affect safety so there is nothing to report on.
[automerge]1591126904[/automerge]

That's my understanding too Regards local Isolators for a shower.

The installation must take account of manufacturers instructions, this was changed from 'must comply with' a few years ago as a lot of manufacturers instructions do not correctly reflect the requirements of bs7671 or were written based on older versions of it.

Last edited:

Reply to What the hell is this main fuse? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net