Discuss What trunking would I need? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Hi All.
Hope you've had a great weekend! :)

I am gonna be repositioning a consumer unit (as some of you may well have read in previous posts :D ) and as such the meter tails will be travelling about one and a half - two metres along a wall in the house (actually in a large cupboard) from their point of entry to the consumer unit.

My question is this:
To be 7671 compliant, do I need steel trunking to house the tails or can I use PVC? :confused:

Cheers again in advance

Matt

What ? ah- I take it as the tails are likely to go outside to a meter box etc,the 2.5 swa will be using the same route to go to a shed or similar .

What ? ah- I take it as the tails are likely to go outside to a meter box etc,the 2.5 swa will be using the same route to go to a shed or similar .

Yep! You got it Jason. Meter is outside the house and the swa that feeds my shed goes out the same hole. Only putting the swa in the trunking for asthetics.....sort of ironic that a steel armoured cable would go inside plastic trunking, but there you go! :D

ok bud, early learning for me was that if swa, then didnt ned to go in ducting, if hi tuff,did need to go in ducting . next similar job i do i will have to a cost comparison to see whats best.

jst to add, i mean when you go outside with it underground. i

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget the switchfuse if the supply tails are longer than 3 meters.

Hi Jason.S
Tails will be just under 2m so switchfuse won't be needed.

To the first Jason: As far as the swa is concerned. It runs at high level along the side and back of the house so i guess swa would be required for that. Also I'm not installing any cables (at this point) only changing / moving the CU.

Cheers again guys.

Matt

Could conduit be considerd for this? surely 50x50 tunking will be to big and a bit of an eyesore?. I am just a novice so any explination on what where when and how always appreciated.

Could conduit be considerd for this? surely 50x50 tunking will be to big and a bit of an eyesore?. I am just a novice so any explination on what where when and how always appreciated.

Hey Grannysmiff,
I did toy with the idea of conduit but it's a no no in this case! The main reason being that the route the caves gave to take contains a 90 degree internal angle and I can't imagine the swa will want to make that turn in conduit. Also due to the size of the three cables together and their prospective bending capacities (or lack of lol) i'd either need 3 separate conduits or a blooming waste pipe!! Lol!
I'm gonna use the white PVC maxi trunking. 50x50 is as cheap as chips and looks pretty neat when up. Also bear in mind that all of this trunking is gonna be fitted in a cupboard so once it's fitted probably only the mice are gonna see it! Lol!

Thanks for your input anyway. It's great just to shoot ideas around in the forum as there's always something we miss.
Matt

why SWA if its at high level? Hi tuff, tough coat etc, will do. Swa if going underground, other wire if going on a catenary across to a shed, etc

Ok bud !!! if its in already then its already paid for in it !!! was just trying to shave a few quid offf your expenses, in case you didnt need swa. Careing for your wallett see !!!

Reply to What trunking would I need? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net