CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss What type of bulb is this? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have this bulb that needs replacing. Markings on it are: 2817, 240V 150W, C2b8, Germany. What type is this please? Also, can I replace it with 150W LED equivalent?

Attachments

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Is that from a high bay warehouse light?

B

Bobster

Looks like a standard edison screw.

Direct replacement with LED however they are far more energy efficient than fillament type lamps. So 5 - 7 watt would be a good replacement.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Looks like a standard edison screw.

Direct replacement with LED however they are far more energy efficient than fillament type lamps. So 5 - 7 watt would be a good replacement.
I originally thought that but the shape of it is getting me thinking maybe it’s a metal haylide or similar.

It is almost certainly discharge so maybe mercury. What colour is it OP when alight?

B

Bobster

I originally thought that but the shape of it is getting me thinking maybe it’s a metal haylide or similar.
I at first thought that, however I'm finding it difficult to judge the size of it. Going off the wood grain and the fact there are is no symbol for internal or external igniter on it swayed me to thinking standard Ellison.

I suspect the end maybe concave or dented in to support an internal structure.

B

Bobster

C2b8 is the lamp shape designation, but google isn't throwing up any results.

Just looks too small for an ignition type lamp, need something else as a size reference.

Ok, I have exactly that lamp, except the markings are:
240V 150W
C168 this is the only difference and it may be that the OPs lamp is actually this one but the markings are not clear.

Overall length about 11.5cm, max diameter about 4.5cm, if that helps.

I have this in my Ikea uplighter, which is no longer available, nor is the glass shade which the removers broke, nor is the bulb/lamp.

It is a standard ES fitting, so any equivalent will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
240V 150W
C168 this is the only difference and it may be that the OPs lamp is actually this one but the markings are not clear.

I have this in my Ikea uplighter, which is no longer available, nor is the glass shade which the removers broke, nor is the bulb/lamp.

It is C2b8 marking. You are right - got it on an uplighter from Ikea. Strange but my glass sed on it broke and I have a replacement shed different to before.

What confuses me is the 150W mark. Surely this cannot be Incandescent 150W in an uplighter? Hence the question on LED of 150W

T

Toneyz

240V 150W

So what type of lamp is it? discharge, LED, halogen?

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If it's an Ikea fitting and it 150 watts then it will almost certainly be incandescant or at least some type of filament like halogen.

In the interests of reducing the number of dead dolphins and assuming it's not running on a dimmer, replace it with a 15 watt LED lamp (bulb) that is a recognised make has a standard ES base and looks like it will generally fit.

I believe it is an incandescent lamp. It's the top, uplighter part, of a dual=purpose lamp, with a swivel, lower level reading lamp which is a 40W screw -in reflector. Yes, the top lamp is on a sliding dimmer.

Times change, eh?

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If it's got a dimmer then you just need to find a 15w dimmable LED as a replacement. There is however a possibility that the dimmer may be unstable with the smaller load.... it will be trial and error.

Yes Marvo...but of course the dimmer was built long ago, so for a dimmable LED trial and error will be the way...
or, contrary to current thinking, a simple incandescent or halogen will be fine. The world will not end...

Marvo

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Can you still get incandescants? Not a problem in my neck of the woods but I thought they'd been phased out already where you are.

(taps nose with forefinger...)
yes, of course you can get incandescents...
I have 100 standard 60W ones in my garage.
I also have 40 GU10 halogens, 35/50W, free to a good home.
Sorry...I have about 35 of them, cos i supply all the old dears in my block with the odd one when they have a failure...
Seems fair, to use up the stock, no?

T

Toneyz

(taps nose with forefinger...)
yes, of course you can get incandescents...
I have 100 standard 60W ones in my garage.
I also have 40 GU10 halogens, 35/50W, free to a good home.
Sorry...I have about 35 of them, cos i supply all the old dears in my block with the odd one when they have a failure...
Seems fair, to use up the stock, no?
I thought you lived on a pirate ship you are deluding the image.

I live only part-time aboard...the candle-lights for navigation give off such smoke that i have to stay ashore for some time...
Still, they are better than burning tallow, which we used to do in years gone by...
Happy daze!

It's a quartz halogen bulb. That shape was common 20 years ago and they came in both clear and white class in various standard wattages, 60, 100, 150w. They claimed to be 25% more efficient than standard lamps. So probable equivalent to 180w incandescent.

Look for LED equivalent of 180w. But the dimmer probably won't work.

Looks like lamps sold as 'Halogena' but cant remember the manufacturer (although others copied). Unlikely to be still available even in the lower wattages as sure to be a LED equivalent/replacement out there.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
OP, remember the rule that whenever you take a photograph, you should always place a 50p piece next to the object as a size reference. I'm sure that's in the regs actually.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
OP, remember the rule that whenever you take a photograph, you should always place a 50p piece next to the object as a size reference. I'm sure that's in the regs actually.
and what happens when they change the 50p piece, like they done with most other coins?

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
They already changed the 50p. It used to be a little bigger than it is now.
Kept an old one just for photograph size comparisons. Confuses some people no end.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i've got a few florins. good solid coins. now they're just penny washers without the holes.

I had a Son bulb Edison screw which had come out of a lamp after converting to metal halide, my wife wanted a bulb and found it in garage so fitted it to a up lighter, there was a rather loud bang as the fuse ruptured.

As said likely it is a tungsten from Ikea, but I would want to inspect the fitting to be sure.

Reply to What type of bulb is this? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom