Discuss what was your most dangerous job peeps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was actually long ways in the MEWP and it was fully extended out. So when I walked out to the edge it was sort of bouncing.

The forks were not fully under the MEWP either, there was about 2ft between the mast of the flt and the MEWP

Also the fork lift driver was stoned. He was the only one I could talk into doing it.
thanks guys I dont feel as bad now hahahhaa

Many years back I installed a RJS beam into a roof space. The only problem was the scissor lift was an old knackered one which had no weight limiter on it and it was 2mtrs short of reaching where we needed to go. Our boss at the time was too tight to pay for the correct access and lifting equipment, I was 17 and naive. We strapped a couple of tall sets of step ladders inside the scissors lift carriage at each end, stood on the rungs with the very heavy beam rested on our shoulders as my boss operated the lift from below. It creaked and strained with the weight and only just went up, it was rocking really badly from the loose scissor joints. We then had to lift the beam over our heads into position off as we ascended the steps to the next to top rung, no harness no ropes just luck and good balance.
Crazy when I think back!

half a bottle of Jack Daniels, and i would do that. coz. when you fall, it don't hurt till next day.

Drilling and connecting onto live busbars is pretty straightforward task if you follow a safe system of work with the correct equipment and protections.
It would probably work out cheaper just to plan the shutdown in your particular case though.
Never work live!!!! Not worth your life or anyone elses, get a grip Son

how many of you guys back in the day remember having to walk along purlings dragging cables in without a harness ,it was common practice where I was a pup
you walked the purlins.... lucky sod... we had to swing from them, both arms in use, cables tied to our feet.. had to use teeth to pull cables into place.

how many of you guys back in the day remember having to walk along purlings dragging cables in without a harness ,it was common practice where I was a pup
I've been there.

The glory of a Friday afternoon when the H&S officer is away home.

It's not that bad in fairness.

Never work live!!!! Not worth your life or anyone elses, get a grip Son

Disagree with this Pete, there's a time and a place.

However it is rare, and shouldn't be done by someone who's not had proper training.

I've connected and drilled live bus bars before. With all the procedures in place I wouldn't have said it was dangerous, sure there was still a risk. This is reduced with correct tools, PPE and methodology.

After all, cable jointer's work live most days for the DNO.

As to the thread, I think my most dangerous experience was working on a remote silo, during a thunderstorm. Got down pretty sharpish once I felt the hair on my arms an neck stand up. Was a strange feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree with this Pete, there's a time and a place.

However it is rare, and shouldn't be done by someone who's had proper training.

I've connected and drilled live bus bars before. With all the procedures in place I wouldn't have said it was dangerous, sure there was still a risk. This is reduced with correct tools, PPE and methodology.

After all, cable jointer's work live most days for the DNO.

As to the thread, I think my most dangerous experience was working on a remote silo, during a thunderstorm. Got down pretty sharpish once I felt the hair on my arms an neck stand up. Was a strange feeling.
No worries Rob none at all. You make a valid point

Sometimes is not the most dangerous jobs that catch people out with accidents and injuries. When you are aware of the high risk and danger, you tend to focus and concentrate much more especially if you know the potential risk with one mistake is death.
I've seen many accidents, some very serious where the person wasn't expecting the risk/danger to be that bad so they have been a little more carefree and over confident resulting in less concentration and focus which in turn allowed them to be caught out.
This happened to me 30 years ago and the resulting injury cost me the loss of part of my left thumb.

Many years ago, I worked on large industrial project at a car factory. We used the long arm cherry pickers to access work areas.

As a jolly jape, it was practise to drop the cage/cab suddenly, using the base controls, whilst the user was unawares in the cage. Had it done to me a few times, frightened the life out of me. Decided to do it myself one day, and the fellow sparks came down and berated me for being stupid & very dangerous behaviour. In those days, nobody did any formal training in them, & usually operated them on your own.

Literally a few days later, the same guy was reversing the dame thing on his own, when he got wedged between a large steel beam and the cab. His foot was kept on the dead man switch. He unfortunately died.

Needless to say, things changed after that, as well as my attitude to health & safety. He was only in his early twenties.

... your job is to connect this up , but the problem was you cannot switch it off ...
Someone I was at school with very nearly died through contact with live bars - stories said 11kV, but that doesn't fit with other details. He was very badly burned and nearly died. I don't know the details, but from what I can make out it was supposed to be switched off and had been tested to be dead - then between verifying it was dead and my schoolmate sticking his hands in, a generator fired up. It completely changed his life and his temperament. He's covered in very obvious burn injuries.
I ended up at night in hospital as the blast had give me arc eye and I had to have my eyes scrapped as the film just rolled up on my eyes horrendous experience never again would I work live after that
You were lucky. A while sgo I came across a website setup by a guy that only just survived when his phase rotation meter exploded and caused a flashover. He now campaigns to raise awareness - not least of the need for proper PPE which would have vastly reduced his injuries. Can't find it right now.

A while sgo I came across a website setup by a guy that only just survived when his phase rotation meter exploded and caused a flashover. He now campaigns to raise awareness - not least of the need for proper PPE which would have vastly reduced his injuries. Can't find it right now.

That should be it
View attachment Donnies Accident (ipad veiwable).mp4

Attachments

• Electrical_accident.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes, that's the one. Should be mandatory viewing/reading before anyone is let loose with electrickery.
Note what he found out about the meter AFTER the accident.

Back to bonjovi's incident ...
While it shoukd almost certainly have been a switch off job, he should have been using sutable tools. As an apprentice, I worked briefly in the shore battery room for a well known submarine manufacturer in Cumbria. This was a big battery - we're talking capacity measured in thousands of AHr and hunfreds of volts, so I thinknyou can imagine the sort of arc energy possible.
We had a set of customised spannets/ sockets where the whole tool was encased in Paxolin except for the working faces that fitted the bolt heads. Bonjovi should have been given similar tool for the job if live wirking couldn't be avoided.

Reply to what was your most dangerous job peeps in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock