Discuss What we are doing ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toneyz

I have been on here for a few years now and have enjoyed the banter along the way I get an idea what a few of you do day to day and what some of you professional backgrounds eg maintenance, commercial, domestic (new build /rewires/additional works.
As we approach the end of the year has it been a good one and what do you see the new year bringing. I wish all fellow forum members regular and those who just dip their toe it a happy and very prosperous new year.

I'll kick it off I used to do new houses made my way up to NICEIC Duty Holder/Q.S. Set up Ltd company with mate/old apprentice and we work for a main electrical contractor labour only doing commercial mainly schools new and refurbishments.Currently doing new county council offices until Feb then school sports hall and/or new church & community centre.

I have been on here for a few years now and have enjoyed the banter along the way I get an idea what a few of you do day to day and what some of you professional backgrounds eg maintenance, commercial, domestic (new build /rewires/additional works.
As we approach the end of the year has it been a good one and what do you see the new year bringing. I wish all fellow forum members regular and those who just dip their toe it a happy and very prosperous new year.
Thanks Ant I see a curry night rearing it's ugly head very soon, if I can get another third party interested, happy new year to you as well.

I am going to be installing electric car points, I had to turn down a few jobs recently as i wasnt olev approved, so the companies couldn't get the grants, also 1 domestic job, so will be dipping my toes in and getting up to speed on it, as now is the time to learn the ins and outs, its only going to grow as an area of the trade as more and more things change. So it will be about getting both domestic and workplace olev approval sorted in next few weeks.

I am going to be installing electric car points, I had to turn down a few jobs recently as i wasnt olev approved, so the companies couldn't get the grants, also 1 domestic job, so will be dipping my toes in and getting up to speed on it, as now is the time to learn the ins and outs, its only going to grow as an area of the trade as more and more things change. So it will be about getting both domestic and workplace olev approval sorted in next few weeks.
What sort of work do you mostly do ?

What sort of work do you mostly do ?
Domestic 90% of the time and the rest offices and small shops.
I started out doing commercial refurbs on shops, cafes, pubs etc when i left the forces and learned the trade from there. but due to family circumstances went out on my own doing domestics last year, its pretty much run of mill house domestic works, not much in way of full rewires but alterations such as new lights, extra sockets etc, repairs and fault finding, extensions, garages/sheds. Done 12 CU changes in last 7 months!!, plenty need doing around here, Have a couple of decent landlords who have me do the electrics on their HMO's. It keep a nice steady stream of work coming in, but gets bit hectic between academic years with all the students moving out and then back in.

Thanks for posting Gavin hope you have a good year,I did the OP as when members contribute you get to know what the main line if electrical work they come from.

Mainly new build and big refurbs here. The new builds range from blocks of flats, rows of houses or what the builders call prestige works like million + pound houses. Have 7 years work doing 500 light commercial units, they are basic fitouts and mainly used as a hospital type job for filling in weeks in the diary. I take on rewires for the right money but won't compete with the bottom end. First job back is a 6 bed newbuild. Had a lot of fire alarm enquiries lately and won 2 jobs the week before christmas.

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

Mainly new build and big refurbs here. The new builds range from blocks of flats, rows of houses or what the builders call prestige works like million + pound houses. Have 7 years work doing 500 light commercial units, they are basic fitouts and mainly used as a hospital type job for filling in weeks in the diary. I take on rewires for the right money but won't compete with the bottom end. First job back is a 6 bed newbuild. Had a lot of fire alarm enquiries lately and won 2 jobs the week before christmas.

View attachment 40018

View attachment 40019
These prestige new builds were enjoyable when I did a few after years of standard house bashing for the likes of Barratt's etc.

Around these parts £1m dont buy a lot , a 1950s semi will set you back upwards of £300k now, Something like in your pictures with that size garden would be £2m+ property has gone crazy around here with london folk selling up and moving down to Bath. I know one family who sold a townhouse in london for £4.5 million and hes now moved to the firms bristol office as some sort of regional finance director, they bought a similar townhouse for £1.75m in Bath and have the rest of the money to live off. I did the garage lights for them. Its a different world

Around these parts £1m dont buy a lot , a 1950s semi will set you back upwards of £300k now, Something like in your pictures with that size garden would be £2m+ property has gone crazy around here with london folk selling up and moving down to Bath. I know one family who sold a townhouse in london for £4.5 million and hes now moved to the firms bristol office as some sort of regional finance director, they bought a similar townhouse for £1.75m in Bath and have the rest of the money to live off. I did the garage lights for them. Its a different world
That house will prob just scrape over the million mark 1.1-1.2 maybe.

...I get an idea what a few of you do day to day and what some of you professional backgrounds eg maintenance, commercial, domestic (new build /rewires/additional works.

What about us Industrial people.... Do we not deserve love as well....
:disrelieved::disrelieved::disrelieved:

Reply to What we are doing ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net