Discuss What would you advise here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wirdy1

-
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.
Friend has asked me to help him upgrade his garden outhouse wiring to make it safer. Without seeing the job I said that an 18th ed-complaint RCD garage consumer unit should do the trick.
However, I went round to the house tonight and had a quick look at his existing supply/fuse box. Omg, I think I'd want to rip it all out & upgrade everything before I put my name to any work on this system, but I know he won't want to spend money on that. Your thoughts? Would you walk away? Some of this stuff must belong in a museum??

Attachments

• What would you advise here? IMG_20190712_205346 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190712_205346.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 91
  • What would you advise here? IMG_20190712_205121 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190712_205121.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 89
  • What would you advise here? IMG_20190712_205205 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190712_205205.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
  • What would you advise here? IMG_20190712_205346 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190712_205346.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
  • What would you advise here? IMG_20190712_205333 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190712_205333.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 86
2 main fuses? Is this a downstairs flat with a neighbour above?

You don't have to rip out and upgrade everything... Just the circuit you are working on.

Don’t touch anything unless the client wants it all ripping out and replacing

A full eicr would probably be my first port of call before making any alterations

Your pics seem to be centred on the service cable, head and cutouts. There's nothing much wrong with those that I can see, except for the BS951 earth clamp on the lead, which has obviously been there for decades but was never right. If the DNO provided an earth, they should maintain it correctly. If this was attached by someone else, and the DNO never provided a connection, that is a bit of a nuisance to sort out. I don't much like the connection feeding the other property but that's definitely someone else's problem. That could be used as leverage about the earth connection, as the two properties are connected to the same clamp.

On the customer's side I'm not seeing much in the way of MEB, and the Wylex boards should have their covers in place (which means no mixing of MCBs and BS3036s as they need different covers), and other various minor points but it could be worse.

2 main fuses? Is this a downstairs flat with a neighbour above?

It's an old mid-row cottage.

Don’t touch anything unless the client wants it all ripping out and replacing

A full eicr would probably be my first port of call before making any alterations
What I was thinking tbh.

On the customer's side I'm not seeing much in the way of MEB, and the Wylex boards should have their covers in place (which means no mixing of MCBs and BS3036s as they need different covers), and other various minor points but it could be worse.
Thanks for the comprehensive advice.

I have to be honest and say I was expecting to see the nasties (having read the thread tile)however,there seems to be very little that would be overly concerning
There are installations out there that seem to have issues far outweighing what is on view in the pictures provided

Reply to What would you advise here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock