Discuss What would you code this as. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
Doing an inspection and came across this.

Feeds are as follows:

Cutout to Meter - 25mm
Meter to connector blocks - 25mm
Connector blocks to CU’s (2 in the house) 16mm.

So far so good as the cutout is 80A not the 100A it’s labelled as.

My query is the 6mm 3 core XPLE that’s going to an outbuilding.

At the outbuilding end is 2 way CU with a 40 RCD switch and a 16a socket & 6a light circuit.

Now I know the RCD will stop the cable ever pulling more than 40A. But as it’s wired into those connectors it has the potential to pull 80a (in theory).

I’ve coded it as a C2 as to me it’s potentially dangerous given there’s no OCPD protecting the cable from the connector until it reaches the RCD in CU in the outbuilding. It’s been there approx 8yrs according to the owner and there are no signs of thermal issues anywhere at either end. But thought I’d garner opinion from the more experienced/knowledgeable folk on here.

What would you code it as? Or would you deem it safe given the RCD at the other end?

What would you code this as. C17B896D-037E-4DA4-8744-ABBFA2C78B65 - EletriciansForums.net

RCDs don't provide overcurrent protection. There is also exposed single insulation. There is no way this type of installation could be deemed safe. If there were sheathed tails feeding a switchfuse mounted by the meter fitted with suitable overcurrent protection for the distribution circuit, which then fed the (properly glanded SWA) that would be fine.

Gotta love it when someone asks about one issue, and the photograph they supply shows a number of others.

Apart from what was mentioned about an rcd not being an over current protection device….. how do you know that the fuse in the cutout is only 80A without pulling it?

Think my concern is in the Ops post and asking the question to start
Is the Op actually a electrician ?
If he is then he certainly shouldn’t be undertaking test and inspection.
Sorry @Raptor0014 but you’ve a huge hole in your knowledge.

I understand the difference between MCB's and RCD's and what they are supposed to do, but this has raised a question for me.

If RCD's only detect earth leakage what is the amp rating for? If you've got a 40a RCD and for argument's sake no MCB's and just connected something pulling 50a on the load side of the RCD, what would happen?

If RCD's only detect earth leakage what is the amp rating for? If you've got a 40a RCD and for argument's sake no MCB's and just connected something pulling 50a on the load side of the RCD, what would happen?
The 40A is thd maximum current that the RCD contacts have been tested to handle reliably. If you put 50amps through it then the contacts could burn out or (worse) weld together. Then the supply will not cut should an earth fault trips the RCD.
The circuit needs current limiting at the source to protect the cable itself and anything else downstream.

I'm also very confused by the thread.

Why would you C2 a circuit for having the potential to pull higher amperage? Wouldn't we then just condemn every installation with 100a cutout since the lights and sockets the tails feed are wired in 1.5 and 2.5mm and so could 'potentially pull 100a'?

Lost.

The 40A is thd maximum current that the RCD contacts have been tested to handle reliably. If you put 50smps through it then the contacts could burn out or (worse) weld together. Then the supply will not cut should an earth fault trips the RCD.
The circuit needs current limiting at the source to protect the cable itself and anything else downstream.
Thanks for the explanation, i suspected as much but wanted to ask to be sure.

I'm also very confused by the thread.

Why would you C2 a circuit for having the potential to pull higher amperage? Wouldn't we then just condemn every installation with 100a cutout since the lights and sockets the tails feed are wired in 1.5 and 2.5mm and so could 'potentially pull 100a'?

Lost.
But they are fused/ mcb rated

It's an interesting question, and here are my thoughts. I'm interested to hear what other forum members make of them.

The downstream breakers at the outbuilding CU total 22A, so I do not believe overload of the 6mm cable is possible as it is. I think 433.3.1 would apply here, which would allow omission of overload protection if fault current protection is provided upstream.

So does the cable have fault protection? The regs say no, we're not supposed to rely on the DNO's device, so it needs coding.

However, the DNO's device is there, upstream of the 6mm cable, we can all see it. I would say if the cable met adiabatic requirements for the DNO's 100A fuse , then I would give it a C3. If it didn't meet adiabatic requirements, then C2.

@Raptor0014 , read 433 through to 436 in BS7671, and see what you make of it. I've attached fault curve for BS1361 fuses. As other members have pointed out, there seem to be gaps in your knowledge which really should be filled before you carry on with EICRs.

Attachments

• What would you code this as. Curve-BS1361 - EletriciansForums.net
    Curve-BS1361.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 13
But they are fused/ mcb rated
I know that's why it doesn't make sense to me. Why be worried about the fact that the main incomer is 80a when the swa will never pull that because it's feeding lights and sockets? Basically no matter the rating on the main incomer that cable load side can never pull enough to be dangerous since the shed end has MCB protection no?

Basically won't the light/sockets 6a/16a MCB's simply trip before that 6mm SWA possibly has a chance to overheat?

The 6mm SWA goes downstream to RCD/MCB protection. Why is this different from main 100a breaker in a board feeding a 40a RCD? Shouldn't we also, according to OP, be concerned about the wires from breaker to RCD in that case? Is that what he's saying?

Like as we stand on a normal installation we have:

100a main fuse ----> 100a main breaker ----> 63a RCD

Here we have:

100a main fuse ----> 40a RCD

I don't see the difference....is there one?

Last edited:
The 6mm cable is basically a sub main feeding the 2way CU in the out building, therefor a suitably sized s/fuse should be fitted at the supply end to protect the cable , at present its relying on the DNO fuse.
To add not terminated correctly/ no glands/ single insulation exposed / poor install to say the least.

Reply to What would you code this as. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock