Discuss What would you do - dodgy builder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

highspark

Had a phone call from a regular customer telling me the builder who's doing her extension said there is no grommets on the existing sockets (which we fitted re wiring the place 18 months ago).

At first I thought there's no way we hadn't put grommets on but further through the day I started to question the lads work and thought maybe one of them had just forgot to put them in. I always check the lads work but with it being months and months ago slight doubts started to creep in.... She's a regular customer, why would she lie???

Anyhow I went to the property last night to inspect all backboxes. I was there for two hours walking around with customer. EVERY single back box was grommeted through the entire property except (conveniently) 2 sockets and a light switch on the existing part of her kitchen which they are adding to.

It gets worse..... The builder had told her that she wouldn't be able to sell her house if there was no grommets in!

Long story short the builders price was inclusive of the first fix only (he's not part p registered) however he's an "electrical engineer and he's really good". He was going to get his mate to sign it off. But home owner said she would ask me to second fix. I've gave her a price.

Basically I think he's tried to shaft me to get the work. How convenient that those sockets that he opened up didn't have grommets on? He also plastered the sockets in the wall yesterday without putting any on. Making my life difficult to put them back in!

I can't see any routes he's ran his cables etc. I like the lady we've done lots of work for her but on this occasion I might just say thanks but no thanks. The phone call I received was of a frightened woman making accusations. I questioned the standard of my employees workmanship etc etc

in this position what would you do?

I don't do 2nd fixes and test FOR ANYONE - especially when LABC will want it signed off.

Why do you quote on this basis?

Send her an email saying how concerned you are that she might be taken for a ride and you feel her builder is using scare tactics. Explain there's no way you can sign off somebody elses installation work and if they can't sign off their own work they shouldn't be doing it. As for the two missing grommets, unless you took photos of your first/second fix I guess you'll have to give her the benefit of the doubt and offer to put them in.

strange how your lads managed to miss just the grommets where the builder would find it. i'd not put it past the shifty sod to have cut them out to make himself look good.

Grommets are only used really for 1st fix to prevent to cable from scraping on the box, once fitted there's little point in them being there. If you are carefully feeding the cables in to the back boxes and not pulling them down some capping or something then I wouldn't bother with them every time.

Grommets are only used really for 1st fix to prevent to cable from scraping on the box, once fitted there's little point in them being there. If you are carefully feeding the cables in to the back boxes and not pulling them down some capping or something then I wouldn't bother with them every time.

Here you go mate you can borrow mine! Lol

Attachments

• What would you do - dodgy builder image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 244

Can I be present when you discuss with your NICEIC assessor?

Is this really worthy of posting, a few missing grommets

Is work quiet, why would you even get involved with this?

its really surprised me that a builder knows what a grommet is as ive never come accross one yet that has used them

I cant believe there is thread about grommets lol

Maybe it should be about 'no grommets'. Came across this today. The earth sleeving had melted and was solid on the wire...which just dropped off. Shows just how important they are.
What would you do - dodgy builder IMG_0489.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhat would you do - dodgy builder IMG_0490.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhat would you do - dodgy builder IMG_0491.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhat would you do - dodgy builder IMG_0492.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Look carefully and you can see some red pvc near the end of the earth wire.

One bleedin' good reason to totally dismiss the comments in #7

Only ever had one nuisance trip due to cable being worn through and catching the edge of a back box.. So maybe we don't need them!!!

Wallace wouldn't be happy.

I cant believe there is thread about grommets lol

Would you prefer wiring sheds, garages, PIR floodlights, tripping RCDS / MCBs / RCBOs, shower isolators, showers glowing green like flying saucers >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMD7ZzRxWmk >> torque screwdrivers etc etc ......

Personally, I find a thread about grommets to be a refreshing change. :sleeping:

A high percentage of neutral earth faults I find are caused by cables in sockets etc being squashed against the box entry with no grommets in sight.
to say you don't need them is a bit wrong as they have been about in their current form since at least the 70s.
i prefer grommet strip as its a better fit and doesn't fall out unlike the ****e grommets you get these days.
stay away from niglon strip though .it is terrible

What would you do - dodgy builder {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

A high percentage of neutral earth faults I find are caused by cables in sockets etc being squashed against the box entry with no grommets in sight.
to say you don't need them is a bit wrong as they have been about in their current form since at least the 70s.
i prefer grommet strip as its a better fit and doesn't fall out unlike the ****e grommets you get these days.
stay away from niglon strip though .it is terrible

Have you tried the tapered super grommets. I find they are easiest to fit and don't easily dislodge when you are fannying on getting cables through. Much better then the standard ones.

Personally, I find a thread about grommets to be a refreshing change. :sleeping:

Aye Geordie, it was nylon machine screws a few days ago and pin plugs a few months ago. Reckon grommets deserve a post too!!

What's next I wander; staples, best shotgun clips, catenary wires....

Reply to What would you do - dodgy builder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock