Discuss What would you have charged ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
West Mids (coventry) large 2 bed bungalow complete rewire. effectively new build except chasing walls for 50% of accessories. RCBO board and gas bond, 35 down lights, utility room, kitchen with 2x cooker circuits (6mm each) lounge, 2x beds, bathroom with mirror and shaver point, en -suite, garage and loft lighting/sockets/ led battens and 4 o/s light in total 100points(sockets, switches, lights, fans,smokes,spurs etc) Supply all accessories (white decent quality) xpelair fans x3 aico heat/smoke, Ball park what would you have charged ? Recently back on tools finding my way with pricing. (Niceic Registered so all testing, certification and notification included of course )

Attachments

• What would you have charged ? 792A87FF-4A4F-4E8C-ADD5-805FDC731753 - EletriciansForums.net
    792A87FF-4A4F-4E8C-ADD5-805FDC731753.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 111
If that pic is your work, then I think you have done this before.
Nice looking board.
Did you agree a price before hand?

100 points x £50.00 = £5000.00 plus materials as a ball park figure, but then I have been retired for nigh on ten years.

If that pic is your work, then I think you have done this before.
Nice looking board.
Did you agree a price before hand?
Thanks. Yep it’s the board for this job. I did on a day rate of 200 for some builders I know. About 5 days 1st and 6 days 2nd fix (on my own) so far so 2200 labour and 1300 materials total. Thought about quoting per point but it was all too vague no kitchen or lighting plans etc it just evolved kind of.

I did say it was ten years ago, so what would you charge, as a general rule?

Not forgetting the OP got £2200/100 = £22.00/point.

Last edited:
I did say it was ten years ago, so what would you charge, as a general rule?

Not forgetting the OP got £2200/100 = £22.00/point.
I think the 50 per point figure people talk about is supply and fit. I saw a competitor schedule for a new build 5 bed house (8k + vat) it was supply & fit 40 per socket, 20 switch, 30 downlight , 80 fan, 60 smoke, etc the average was 50 per point. Around here 200 is about what the going day rate is/ some command more some less of course

If you're counting the light switches in that I'd probably quote between £5000 and £5500 depending on the number of fans and smokes
Thanks for that. Yes switches included lots of two way and intermediate also with three banks of spots in a big vaulted ceilng. 3 fans no core drilling though. one heat one ion smoke. Seems I’m on the cheaper side of things but was happy to work on a day rate risk free

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Yes switches included lots of two way and intermediate also with three banks of spots in a big vaulted ceding. 3 fans no core drilling though. one heat one ion smoke. Seems I’m on the cheaper side of things but was happy to work on a day rate risk free
Your day rate seems a bit low (I charge significantly more and I'm in Manchester) - if you're not short of work you could consider putting it up a bit and seeing what happens.

I was asking what you would charge now.
That very much depends on the installation. Obviously I haven't seen the installation in question, but at a random guess probably around £6k.

EDIT: Actually just noticed the bit about approximately 100 points. So I'd say add another grand on top.

West Mids (coventry) large 2 bed bungalow complete rewire. effectively new build except chasing walls for 50% of accessories. RCBO board and gas bond, 35 down lights, utility room, kitchen with 2x cooker circuits (6mm each) lounge, 2x beds, bathroom with mirror and shaver point, en -suite, garage and loft lighting/sockets/ led battens and 4 o/s light in total 100points(sockets, switches, lights, fans,smokes,spurs etc) Supply all accessories (white decent quality) xpelair fans x3 aico heat/smoke, Ball park what would you have charged ? Recently back on tools finding my way with pricing. (Niceic Registered so all testing, certification and notification included of course )
£5575.27.

Words.
Words

Thanks. Yep it’s the board for this job. I did on a day rate of 200 for some builders I know. About 5 days 1st and 6 days 2nd fix (on my own) so far so 2200 labour and 1300 materials total. Thought about quoting per point but it was all too vague no kitchen or lighting plans etc it just evolved kind of.

Nice that you can do some early jobs on day rate to find out what sort of timescales you are looking at for future jobs on total price.

I do think your rates are a bit low. You've come out at £3500 overall but that was on a conservative day rate and with no allowance for profit. Personally I start my rewire prices at £3500. That would generally only cover a void 2-3 bed house with basic spec and white plastic accessories.

That is a very wide variance, from £7000 including materials to £3500 including materials, it can't all be because of the country divide.

Discuss.

That is a very wide variance, from £7000 including materials to £3500 including materials, it can't all be because of the country divide.

Discuss.

My quoted price of £3500 was my minimum starting point for easy basic spec jobs completed quickly. It was also the actual price quoted by the OP for their completed job running at time and materials only.

Personally I'd have been around £5500 for the quoted job spec but my day rate is higher, I'd have included for profit, and my materials bill would have been slightly higher.

Reply to What would you have charged ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock