Discuss What would you say to DNO about the following...if anything? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

So asked to attend tripping RCD whenever cooker is plugged in. That bit was very simple, gas cooker with igniter plugged into extension. Soaked extension lead (fridge defrosted all over it and condensation from pots and pans etc.) removed it and plugged direct in to socket problem solved.
I was also there to advise on the safety of their current electrics and suggest improvements. Now what I am interested in, apart from the obvious items is in the pictures you will see there are two supplies taken from the cut-out. The coloured tails are the supply for the house, the shadowy grey tails are the ones that go through the wall into next doors house and that is their supply. This is a TN-S system and the earth is taken of the usual three strands from the supply cable and attached with a terminal block, then off to the MET you see with earths attached. With me so far?
The earth (light green) as in the one that goes through the wall is next doors' earth(4mm² I guess), and attached to the MET of the house I am in. In my view any earth fault next door will therefore find a path through or on to this house's earth, and vice versa, which is not satisfactory. Next door should have their own earth imo.
So...What would you say to the DNO to convince them to change this situation? I am trying to form some invincible reasoning which will force them to either remove that earth or make it good to their own supply earth. There is more to this but that is the potted version so as not to make it too wordy.

What would you say to DNO about the following...if anything? IMG_3264.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

What would you say to DNO about the following...if anything? IMG_3266.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

What would you say to DNO about the following...if anything? IMG_3267.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Probably a supply to next door fed from U/G cable prior to the meter connections, at least that's all I can see from your pictures, may be a short course on photography is in order:p:D

Dealing with western power who are the dno in this area is a lottery. Some offices are okay though.
I have come across similar before but not known the outcome.
Its a bit like a poor mans looped supply that you have there.
Are you sure next door even have a meter? And not piggy backing of this sides feed?
I would ring dno and tell them you are intending to disconnect these extra tails and think ot might leave next door with no supply. They will be round in QuickTime. Its down to the dno to fix in My opinion.

In my view any earth fault next door will therefore find a path through or on to this house's earth, and vice versa, which is not satisfactory.

If it is TN-S, then both houses are earthed to the supply, electrically it is no different to running each house's main earthing conductor out to the main, except that within the common part of the fault loop the resistance of the shared servicce cable is added to that of the main. The problem I see is that the termination isn't satisfactory, that looks like the earth bar from an old fuseboard, and you can't do anything about it because another consumer's installation runs on it. If it were made by the DNO with a proper ISCO-style block or MF joint, and the earthing conductor from next door were proven adequate for the purpose, I would think it's acceptable.

Had very similar recently. Response was that next door should be tt (ESQCR regs, shared supply?) but what could they do about it. Answer is probably to ask dno to remove next doors supply from your customers property

short course on photography
Yes there is that but don't think that is going to happen, forgot to put this picture in. If you look carefully at the tails coming out you can see the tails for next door coming out. Especially next to the N. tail, yes? There is no underground cable the supply is from the cut-out and is routed along behind the consumer unit and through the wall as in the other picture.What would you say to DNO about the following...if anything? IMG_3265.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

0845 6012989. You are Bristol based so WPD? Your enquiry is removal of a neighbours supply from your customer's property. They will forward the enquiry to the local depot and a system / network planner will contact you to arrange to meet at the property to discuss the options. Your main questions are is this compliant under ESQCR regs and is your customer able (under ESQCR regs) to request / demand removal of the neighbours supply from their property

Interesting thread @Vortigern keep us informed as you usually would do.
I think your photography is adequate for the box brownie that you carry with you!
I'm more worried about you catching your head on the MET and leaving a little bit of your silver mane behind!

removal of the neighbours supply
I don't think they will remove the supply as there is no cut-out next door the tails go straight into the DNO fuse from what I recall. It is more the earth I am concerned about.
except that within the common part of the fault loop the resistance of the shared servicce cable is added to that of the main
Pertinent to which, could you elucidate on that statement? Are you suggesting that next doors system would someway be measured into EFLI or what are you saying?

I don't think they will remove the supply as there is no cut-out next door the tails go straight into the DNO fuse from what I recall. It is more the earth I am concerned about.

That is their problem and not relevant. They have to provide a supply compliant with ESQCR regs. Their new supply to the neighbours is likely to be pme and foc

Inform them, they come out and have a look and it is then on their records as a non compliance. Bonuses depend on situations like this being rectified, costs (below a few thousand) are not a factor.

I have a similar situation booked in for a couple of months time where they are providing a new supply (existing looped from neighbours and sharing same fuse) and I have to be on site to provide new tails to the new meter cabinet and connect into the cu, at their expense.

And there's a red sheathed meter tail connected to the mains neutral block ? Just thought I'd add that to the mix. :)

Yeh there is a host of problems to sort there. Circuits tacked on over the years, spurs off of spurs, cables in loft abraded by stored paraphernalia, lights all on one MCB, 100ma RCD (wylex) The energy provider is coming to remove the economy 7 as I asked them to enquire as to the best tariff. They were shocked when they compared costs! They are not using any storage heaters and are below certainly BG's recommendation of using at least 4kw to justify the daytime tarrif as they use nothing on eco 7. When that is done and the DNO have sorted their part and next door, I will take it from there. Ho hum...

Reply to What would you say to DNO about the following...if anything? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock