Discuss Whatever happened to weekly pay for subbies ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Butby

Worked in a factory when recession was at its worst, been back subbying this year and cannot believe I'm being asked to work a month in hand on a short term job. Some offers I've had even expect you to also pay your digs too meaning you can be owed thousands before you get paid. A colleague working for another firm was given a van with no fuel card which is to be claimed back in wages therefore owed a grand of fuel! As well as wages.
i feel we are being well and truly used to keep cash flow going in some of these firms. Have been in this game for 30 years and only unpaid on one occasion when I was about £1200 down which I never got. I hate to think what could happen nowadays.
What do others think ?

If you are not happy with rate being paid or the system of payment along with any other payments that could leave you out of pocket, then just walk away!!

At the end of the day, it's up to you to accept or decline a sub contract. I guess it depends how desperately you need the work at the time... This sort of crap is going on world wide, some countries have better workman rules than others. Unfortunately the UK doesn't have that great a record when compared to those of Western Europe....

I think this is becoming the norm now. So many people looking for cards in, that employers and agencies take the pi$$.
The QS at the firm I work for is on 13.50 an hour. Approved sparks 12.50 and mates 9.00.
And this is Manchester! Not even close to jib rates.
And its monthly pay, were all subbys except qs. And we never ever get paid correct.
Transport is provided if you have worked 12months+ for them and they'll give a fuel card. But I've been here for 2months and I'm laying out £100 a week in fuel alone as I'm working 55miles from home. No travel pay. Its a joke I should have been a scaffolder!!! At least they get £15p/h across uk +digs+travel etc

It's easy to say just walk away engineer54, more and more firms are going this way, whilst there's people that'll accept this the tide will not change, that said there's more and more work coming up so hopefully things will change. Amckay seems firms only quote jib and follow their guidelines when it suits them. Ie generally to pay less

Also on current job was told fortnightly pay and 2 weeks in told monthly in hand now. Last job paye seemed a great opportunity, never once paid correctly or on time, final months pay should have been in my bank Friday, still isn't - and I'm an old hand, how are the young uns coping ?

it wants banning. my lad took a monthly paid cards in job . first month OK< 2nd and 3rd he was paid £100 short each month, 4th month laid off with 3 weeks pay owing. company goes into liquidation. bast$rds.

Just avin a moan tony that's all. It would be nice sometimes to not have to worry if you're getting paid or not. Plus I think for short term work you should be weekly paid, there's so many going bump now it's a concern

it wants banning. my lad took a monthly paid cards in job . first month OK< 2nd and 3rd he was paid £100 short each month, 4th month laid off with 3 weeks pay owing. company goes into liquidation. bast$rds. ​More like something that lurks at the top of women's thighs!

Do you want me to come round and hold them down while you give them a good kicking in the nuts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is becoming the norm now. So many people looking for cards in, that employers and agencies take the pi$$.
The QS at the firm I work for is on 13.50 an hour. Approved sparks 12.50 and mates 9.00.
And this is Manchester! Not even close to jib rates.
And its monthly pay, were all subbys except qs. And we never ever get paid correct.
Transport is provided if you have worked 12months+ for them and they'll give a fuel card. But I've been here for 2months and I'm laying out £100 a week in fuel alone as I'm working 55miles from home. No travel pay. Its a joke I should have been a scaffolder!!! At least they get £15p/h across uk +digs+travel etc
a mate of mine at the end of 2330 lvl3 said f it.

he works for £200 a day as a scaffolder and gets a lift to and from the jobs cards in

Not read all the posts the first one infuriated me simple answer don't work a month in hand a week is enough in this horrible game and if you don't get payed after a week down tools till you get your dough simple

Not read all the posts the first one infuriated me simple answer don't work a month in hand a week is enough in this horrible game and if you don't get payed after a week down tools till you get your dough simple
i get paid monthly cards in, if im doing a lot of driving ill be given extra fuel money in cash either that day or within a couple days, boss is great too bad we dont get jib rates but not complaining because of some of the perks

Shankly your very lucky and trust worthy you've obviously not been ripped off by these parsite agencies before I've been done a few times but only for a weeks wages imagine loosing a months money

Farm electrics I'm not sure if you meant to come across so aggressively ?? I just was noting that this seemed to be the new 'norm' and was asking what others thought about it

Shankly your very lucky and trust worthy you've obviously not been ripped off by these parsite agencies before I've been done a few times but only for a weeks wages imagine loosing a months money
trustworthy?

i have all my days logged, we are on day rate.

everywhere i have worked and who with on what site, always sign in etc at the hospitals estates and send a message direct to boss every month with number of days

no1 rule always keep a papertrail, save all emails etc inc sent/received

this company works on trust and by that i mean everyone is trusted

Am not sure why my post infuriated you ?

its ok walking after a week but you are less likely to get paid then in my experience

Reply to Whatever happened to weekly pay for subbies ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock