Discuss What's gone wrong here in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Will9607

DIY
Reaction score
Ok, I admit this stuff should be left to electricians now!

I was fitting a new ceiling light and it's caused some issues. I got the ceiling light to work fine but now it's knocked out (but not tripped) the rest of that circuit and I don't know why. It looks like some lights still go on but only very very faintly. I have removed the light and tried just to re-connect everything but the circuit is still out - grateful for any ideas or advice.

IMG_5993.JPG

What colour is the sleeve on the blue wire, brown?
Is there also a fan which switches on.

What colour is the sleeve on the blue wire, brown?
Is there also a fan which switches on.
Sorry I should have explained that. Neither of the blue wires had sleeves on initially. What you can see is a black piece of insulation tape I put on one of the blue wires as there was a break in the rubber and I thought it might short on something. The only sleeve I can see is a blue sleeve on top of a grey wire - which I presumed was marking it as neutral.

In this configuration the new filament lamp light fitting works but everything else is dim. With or without the light actually fitted

Can you show a pic of the wiring at the switch but ensure the power is isolated.

Thanks - I massively appreciate this btw.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5997.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5995.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5994.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 21
Was hoping to see the black at the switch but it isn't there. You have managed to connect a looped neutral into the live but whether it is the blue or black is not clear. Connect the wrong one back to neutral from the left side of the connector will result in a dead short.

Ok, so I just switched the two blue wires around to see if I have got the 'live' blue and the 'neutral' blue mixed up. Weirdly it had no effect on the circuit at all - the other lights still come on very faintly...

Put the blues with the grey and just have black as the live.

Thank you so much! Managed to get the circuit to work, unfortunately the force of getting the connectors into the ceiling and getting the fitting on is proving tricky with the now knackered connector block. Need an alternative - is this what I want?

NoLinkingToThis/p/wago-32a-3-way-lever-connector-50-pack/2803R?tc=KA8&ds_kid=92700055281954475&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=CjwKCAiAksyNBhAPEiwAlDBeLOJC_s4tPvpA3RnY_xu-Qn2eQRbsCN2qDXfQlu0YrsnM0NzteFqzLhoCQ-UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If connections outside the fitting, they need to be enclosed in something like this:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wago-light-junction-box/8423f

And the whole box pushed into the ceiling… not just individual connectors.

Is there access from above or is it floored?

Reply to What's gone wrong here in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net