Discuss Whats happening with youngsters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Firstly hello guys, it's been a while since I posted or did any staffing but work is crazy which is leaving very little time for anything else, which leads nicely into the reason for this thread.
What's happening with the young electricians of today. They either seem to want the earth and its mother or seem really uninterested, I've been trying to get someone to help us out and its bloody hard work . I've been in talks with a young spark who 7 days ago all but said he wanted to come to us and wasn't happy where he was, I know the lad and offered him an immediate start but he's proving hard work to sort a start date.
Then another lad two weeks ago rang me asking for work to essentially finish his nvq portfolio so I offered him some work immediately only for me to chase him 2 days later where he said I've got a job so no thanks.
I'm not going to paint all youngsters the same but the ones I'm encountering lately leave a lot to be desired, the first question seems to be , how much will I earn, what other perks are there, do I get a van etc etc surely the 1st question should be asking about their duties

Well I think we are looking at it with old, out of date attitudes and thoughts.

Times change and so does the social economic situation.

When I started work, my parents couldn’t understand – I was looking for interesting work, with good training, qualifications and experience that would allow me to move successfully between jobs; pensions which could likewise be transferred and so on.

My parents were beside themselves with worry, “the youth of today….” They couldn’t understand why, because the right thing to do in their minds and experience was to get in at one of the big local companies, it would be a job for life, I would stay there until I retire having various positions each getting easier as I get older to retire on a comfortable number! – the picture from their youth not the situation from mine!

Today, the concern is payment, job extras and benefits because if they don’t it’s a zero hours type job and so on, there is no possibility of buying a house unless your car/van is provided for you because the costs are so high and so fluid – Buy a car now, in a years’ time the government will have changed its policy and tax that type of car through the roof so you have to adopt a short-term approach.

It may be nice to get a “trade” but whatever you learn today it’s just to obtain the job as there will be a new course you have to take, or a simple training course and instant qualification, any potential or actual employer would drop you at a moment’s notice when it suits them and have no regard for you as an individual, backed by legislation which supports them entirely.

With such a situation, why would you treat potential employers with anything but the same attitude you are expected to receive today, in a society that’s moved to a dog-eats-dog philosophy, you make yourself the dog that’s doing the eating.

What's happening with youngsters?
1. Lack of initiative
2. Lack of education
3. Poor manners...

this is not an exhaustive list...many (not all) seem to think they are "entitled" to things for which they have expended no effort to attain...

but then, I'm just a grumpy old man...
True and no you aint a grumpy old man, you're just saying like it is Mate

We took on a young lad last year but he has now left, he seemed to have no zest but then maybe I was the same as a youngster. The youth of today will say the same about the youths of the future.
That's the truth . It was the same in my day . We used to get nagged by the old hands - till you were accepted - some never got accepted...

I hear what you say, Julie...but that doesn't mean it's right, in my view.
Yes, employers drop workers at a moment's notice and have legislation to allow such practices, but they also have legislation to follow for protection of workers.

Dog-eat-dog society is just another facet of the "race to the bottom" mentality often discussed on this forum. Yes, i know things have changed, but I am struggling to find where these changes have been for the better. That doesn't mean we should just accept that way of life. Who has to change first, though? The employers? The employees? Is there any will to do so? If not, the downward spiral will continue. Our education system is a joke nowadays. That's not the pupils' fault, but they are given qualifications that are often meaningless, are sent out into the world believing they have knowledge and skills that they do not possess, and, quite rightly, become disillusioned very quickly. However, the teachers are delighted to say that they had a class of 30 where 26 of them achieved a "pass" at 70% or more, they exceeded their targets (don't get me started on "targets"!) and we are led to believe that the education system is performing well...it's not! A university professor I know well told me recently that his latest intake of students would have struggled to pass their O Levels in his day...yes, I am that old!

I will not give you a list, don't worry! However, an inability to perform simple maths without recourse to a calculator is a common problem, and an inability to "estimate" goes hand-in-hand with that failing.

The young geniuses on University Challlenge are certainly the cream of the education crop, but they are a tiny minority, albeit an impressive one. On the other hand, the wannabe contestants on The Apprentice are frankly laughable...but, they actually believe they are special...

Enough! I am reminded of the days when Victor Meldrew used to come to me for "grumpiness training"...

Firstly hello guys, it's been a while since I posted or did any staffing but work is crazy which is leaving very little time for anything else, which leads nicely into the reason for this thread.
What's happening with the young electricians of today. They either seem to want the earth and its mother or seem really uninterested, I've been trying to get someone to help us out and its bloody hard work . I've been in talks with a young spark who 7 days ago all but said he wanted to come to us and wasn't happy where he was, I know the lad and offered him an immediate start but he's proving hard work to sort a start date.
Then another lad two weeks ago rang me asking for work to essentially finish his nvq portfolio so I offered him some work immediately only for me to chase him 2 days later where he said I've got a job so no thanks.
I'm not going to paint all youngsters the same but the ones I'm encountering lately leave a lot to be desired, the first question seems to be , how much will I earn, what other perks are there, do I get a van etc etc surely the 1st question should be asking about their duties
GMES I totally agree, every year when I have to go to continuing education we talk about how the younger generation has no ambition like us and in electrical especially it seems like no young bucks are trying and I guess there just lazy as hell. Some do electrical work but have no desire to get there license. In my opinion in the US they think because they do electrical work that makes them electricians. Wrong if you don’t have a license you are not an electrician you just do electrical work

Something has drastically changed. The 'D.I.Y' attitude that we all grew up with around our parents etc. has now changed into the 'Y.D.I' generation with youngsters. 'You Do it' .

Bring back National Service (God I sound like my old Grandad :tearsofjoy:)
You are right I started working at 15 years old. We was brought up to work and provide for our family. Hell you are lucky if the kids move out and go to work at 30 years old, at least I can say my kids were made to find a job at 18 years old
[automerge]1582989259[/automerge]
You are right I started working at 15 years old. We was brought up to work and provide for our family. Hell you are lucky if the kids move out and go to work at 30 years old, at least I can say my kids were made to find a job at 18 years old

I get my grandson to help me on big jobs

There are some youngsters, as Megawatt inferred who think if they have some nice red and yellow tools, and do a bit of electrical work, then they are Electricians.

I also disagree about the comment regarding we were the same and Old hands would always moan at the younger guys, maybe true in some respects, but if the youngster don't listen and spend all day texting or whatever they do on their devices, they should expect nothing else from the Old hands they are working with.

Maybe I was an exception, although I didn't have a " Device" when I was an Apprentice, and if I handed my Mentor the wrong bit or what ever he wanted, my ears never stopped burning from the clout I got as well as the verbals I received, of course this sort of thing can't happen today.

Personally I think ( there will be doubters I'm sure) the problems is far to many youngsters don't know what they want from life, don't care enough about what they want to do with their life, think Mum and Dad will make it right what ever happens.

I have met may from all walks of life that think they are owed a living, and are rude, obnoxious little so and sos, one Lad I had as an Apprentice ( he was an Asian Lad) not that this should make should make any difference, listened, took an interest, was polite, switched his phone OFF at starting time, if I was still working it was quite evident that He would have been my supervisor.
Rant over sorry to all the good keen youngsters out there, good luck to you all.

There are some youngsters, as Megawatt inferred who think if they have some nice red and yellow tools, and do a bit of electrical work, then they are Electricians.

I also disagree about the comment regarding we were the same and Old hands would always moan at the younger guys, maybe true in some respects, but if the youngster don't listen and spend all day texting or whatever they do on their devices, they should expect nothing else from the Old hands they are working with.

Maybe I was an exception, although I didn't have a " Device" when I was an Apprentice, and if I handed my Mentor the wrong bit or what ever he wanted, my ears never stopped burning from the clout I got as well as the verbals I received, of course this sort of thing can't happen today.

Personally I think ( there will be doubters I'm sure) the problems is far to many youngsters don't know what they want from life, don't care enough about what they want to do with their life, think Mum and Dad will make it right what ever happens.

I have met may from all walks of life that think they are owed a living, and are rude, obnoxious little so and sos, one Lad I had as an Apprentice ( he was an Asian Lad) not that this should make should make any difference, listened, took an interest, was polite, switched his phone OFF at starting time, if I was still working it was quite evident that He would have been my supervisor.
Rant over sorry to all the good keen youngsters out there, good luck to you all.
The Asian youth sounds like he would be a keeper but Pete999 you know how the younger generation are with no goals no plans for the future. Hell they don’t even have a good plan for the future and as we both know that now is the time to get there crap together and start planning for their retirement or they won’t have a pot to ---- in. Have a great day my friend

The Asian youth sounds like he would be a keeper but Pete999 you know how the younger generation are with no goals no plans for the future. Hell they don’t even have a good plan for the future and as we both know that now is the time to get there crap together and start planning for their retirement or they won’t have a pot to ---- in. Have a great day my friend
Funnily enough MaTE I met him at a Colleague's Funeral they other day, along with is Wife and Kids, turned out to be a great Bloke, couldn't stop mentioning how good I had trained him, made me quite proud in fact.

Funnily enough MaTE I met him at a Colleague's Funeral they other day, along with is Wife and Kids, turned out to be a great Bloke, couldn't stop mentioning how good I had trained him, made me quite proud in fact.
Well Pete you know how good you are at electrical and how’s he doing now. I’ve noticed that most electricians don’t want to teach the younger generation and I always looked at it as the more I can teach them the less I have to do

I am forever arguing with my father in law about my kids with their devices.
It’s just progress.
If today’s youth are distracted by their phones, yesterday’s youths were skiving off for a smoke.
(as in a cigarette)

The particular problem you have @GMES is that the parents of those kids haven’t instilled respect into their little cherubs.
If you accept a job, then go through with it. If you find another job in the meantime, then let people know. It’s just common decency.

It’s just progress.
If today’s youth are distracted by their phones, yesterday’s youths were skiving off for a smoke.
(as in a cigarette)

The particular problem you have @GMES is that the parents of those kids haven’t instilled respect into their little cherubs.
If you accept a job, then go through with it. If you find another job in the meantime, then let people know. It’s just common decency.
I totally agree with you @littltspark. In this trade you won’t last long by not doing what you say your going to do.

I hear what you're saying and for the most part agree but; youth of today are products of yesterday's planning.

What I mean is that decisions made by older generations shaped the behave we have now;

Examples; Smacking, now all but policed by older generatons decisions/laws and as a result a complete loss of respect or manners

Attitudes to work; Because the likes of wages and worker protection hasn't moved with the time we now have zero-hour contracts resulting in no stability to plan for the future, we have employers with the power (in spite of the various worker protections - ZH jobs are perfect for businesses and nightmares for workers.

Wages not reflecting the value of the job being done; push a broom in a supermarket: minimum wage, study and get a trade; minimum wage. It seems even when you take time to better yourself there is little to no financial benefit to do so either because the qualifications are meaningless (how many have degrees and no job?) or that the market is so saturated with the same qualifications that they are worthless.

Crime; Once again those in power (majority older generations) have done little to maintain the "back on my day" behaviours (manners, respect for the law etc) that they say are lacking today.

While I agree with most about the behaviour s and attitudes of youth today, I'm not suprised.

Well Pete you know how good you are at electrical and how’s he doing now. I’ve noticed that most electricians don’t want to teach the younger generation and I always looked at it as the more I can teach them the less I have to do
He has been overseas for the last 10 years, so he is doing something right, he was a nice lad, difficult to see him in any other way, even his Parents were interested in his education and quite often contacted me to see how he was doing, and they were both Old School Immigrants, learnt to enjoy and cook a proper Curry from their Hospitaity
It’s just progress.
(as in a cigarette)

There were 8 Electricians working for the Firm I started with, 6 were Oafs and bullies but there were two that were Gents and good Sparks to boot.
You never knew, who you were going to work with, from day to day, maybe it was self preservation , but when ever I was paired with 1 of the 2 better Guys I always made sure to be on time best behaviour, and importantly listened to the instructions they issued, it worked, not that this was the main reason they taught me a great de, and I'm thankful, both gone to the great Electricians workplace in the Sky sadly, 2 very nice Men.

All joking apart it's gone badly wrong since discipline was removed. Even in the animal world mothers discipline there pups etc.

I'm not on about caning and thick ears etc (though some kids certainly do need that) I'm on about discipline to build respect.
In a lot of ways fear is needed to keep us safe, the problem we have now is the kids think they are invincible because they sit playing computer games where for most of the time they are hero's saving the world in one format or another.

Consequences have near enough been removed. There are no consequences anymore. You try and discipline a kid today and they go straight home and tell there mum. The next thing you know there's a 25 stone woman screaming at you on your doorstep.
God knows what would happen if another war ever broke out and everybody was called up to fight. I guess the war would only be fought between 10:30am - 1:30pm three days a week cuz they would be to busy doing something else any other time, and even then they would only attend if you promise to give them a hundred quid a day and promise them they wont get there new Nike Air's dirty.

I know there are some out there who are keen and want to learn stuff, and more than likely they are the ones reading this forum because they are keen on learning.

Reply to Whats happening with youngsters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net