Discuss whats needed to register in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mikey12

hi all been reading posts brilliant stuff one question though could someone please tell me what i need to register with governing body i have done my DEI and are on the point of doing my C+G 17th edition full course once this is completed my C+G 2391 L2 i believe correct me if im wrong is this enough as i want to concentrate on domestic installations your feedback good or bad would be greatly received:D:D

sorry mate im no supervisor i wish to work for myself doing domestic installations and was wondering if the above quals are enough to register with a governing body to carry out domestic work ie:extra sockets ,lighting points concumer unit replacements and rewires in the future,wont be working on own assistance from sparky whos been in game 25yrs:)

Mikey

To be Part P registered you have to be assessed by one of the bodies NIC, NAPIT etc against two recent jobs. Passing a course at college is not being registered as Part P!!

You need to upgrade to 2382 (17th Edition) before July 1st and carry out several installations before you will hvae enough experience to do the Inspection & Testing.
You will also need to be taking the 2392 (17th Edition) suggest after your Part P registered.

The first few jobs will have to be done using (and paying) Building Control to pass them and then NIC / NAPIT can assess you for these jobs to get you registered. You need to be the "supervisor" of the work so you cant work for someone else and use those jobs!

You will have had to trade as "supervisor" for at least six months before applying to register as Part P, and at least two years to apply for approved contractor with NIC.

Everyone has to start the same way - but dont cut corners or omit Building Control or you will fail on first hurdle!!

Good luck

thanks malcg so my next step would be to do my 2382 17th by the 1st july then apply to niceic or other governing body ive done minor works ie:extra sockets or lighting points.So i believe to register with nic they state that you have to show them 2 pieces of work you have done 1 minor and 1 major but to do these i have to notify building control before doing them and after completion so they can inspect first is this correct if so i believe a major job is a consumer unit and minor could be a socket.Just for info what happens if i dont do 17th before 1st july sorry mate about long post trying to get all info right:eek:

thanks malcg so my next step would be to do my 2382 17th by the 1st july then apply to niceic or other governing body ive done minor works ie:extra sockets or lighting points.So i believe to register with nic they state that you have to show them 2 pieces of work you have done 1 minor and 1 major but to do these i have to notify building control before doing them and after completion so they can inspect first is this correct if so i believe a major job is a consumer unit and minor could be a socket.Just for info what happens if i dont do 17th before 1st july sorry mate about long post trying to get all info right:eek:

its not about getting it before 01 Jul, but you WILL have to get it before you join one of the schemes

yes, you quals will be enough to join, but like has already been said, you generally have to be trading for 6 months

the 2392 is a good move if you are not familiar with testing.

If you have done the DEI, you will find 2392 is the about the same level, at least you will have a formal test & inspect qual

You dont NEED 2391 to join a scheme, but you wont be able to do PIR's under the scheme without it

ok thanks shakey so if i now complete my 2382 and you said trade for at least 6 mths before registering with niceic who i wish to go with that seems to be the main one then consider my inspection and test that will be ok . In the meantime can i continue doing minor jobs and one thing i was unsure about when you do your 2 jobs for inspection 1 minor 1 major i inform building control before i start these and upon completion is that correct sorry for going on but i want to get it all right:D:D

ok thanks shakey so if i now complete my 2382 and you said trade for at least 6 mths before registering with niceic who i wish to go with that seems to be the main one then consider my inspection and test that will be ok . In the meantime can i continue doing minor jobs and one thing i was unsure about when you do your 2 jobs for inspection 1 minor 1 major i inform building control before i start these and upon completion is that correct sorry for going on but i want to get it all right:D:D

why can you only do minor jobs?

look at it like this; the work you do (and can do) is exactly the same whether or not you are registered with a competent persons scheme

the work is till carried out, and you still need to test, inspect and certify it

only thing that changes is now you have to pre-notify all notifiable work to the LABC and submit copies of your certificates to them (they may want to inspect depending on the job), and when you join a competen persons scheme, you inform the scheme that you have done the work, but, the point is, the actaul work itself doesnt change, just the notification process

god dont i go on:):)

so i can do full installations ie rewires providing i notify building control once complete so they can inspect it as i know this costs you per inspection i believe ive got it now thanks:cool:

sorry shakey just been reading one of your other posts im repeating the same subject already covered:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
so i can do full installations ie rewires providing i notify building control once complete so they can inspect it as i know this costs you per inspection i believe ive got it now thanks

NO YOU HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD!!

The Owner of you on behalf of the Owner must register with building control BEFORE you start work - not during or after. The amount you pay to Buidling Control is dependant on the real value of the work being done (no false prices!!).

You have to give building control an opportunity to see the installation a) before you start, b) after first fix, and c) on completion with all the test results - BUT BEFORE BEING MADE LIVE for user.

You will also need to show compliance with the various sections of the Buidling Regulations:
B - Fire Safety
C - ... Resistance to Moisture
E - Resistance to the Passage of Sound
F - Ventilation
L - Conservation of Fuel and Power
M - Access to and Use of Buildings
P - Electrical Safety (of course)
BTW: It is a criminal offence to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations, with a maximum fine of £5,000 - the Owner would be liable for this offence!

NO YOU HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD!!

The Owner of you on behalf of the Owner must register with building control BEFORE you start work - not during or after. The amount you pay to Buidling Control is dependant on the real value of the work being done (no false prices!!).

You have to give building control an opportunity to see the installation a) before you start, b) after first fix, and c) on completion with all the test results - BUT BEFORE BEING MADE LIVE for user.

You will also need to show compliance with the various sections of the Buidling Regulations:
B - Fire Safety​

C - ... Resistance to Moisture​

E - Resistance to the Passage of Sound​

F - Ventilation​

L - Conservation of Fuel and Power​

M - Access to and Use of Buildings​

P - Electrical Safety (of course)​
BTW: It is a criminal offence to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations, with a maximum fine of £5,000 - the Owner would be liable for this offence!

I am not aware of a requirement for the LABC to see the job before you start - yes they may want to do a pre-plaster check, and what's this about them seeing it 'before being made live for the user'?

the installation must be powered up to do your tests, so if it passes, and is safe, are you suggesting the user is not allowed to use it until the council come 'round? :confused:

I am both qualified and competent to install and test my own work - and there is not a man alive in this country that can overule or overide my testing of the installation. My decisions as the inspector are final and absolute, and NO-ONe (including the unqualified monkeys at the LABC) has the power to question my decisions

I am not aware of a requirement for the LABC to see the job before you start - yes they may want to do a pre-plaster check, and what's this about them seeing it 'before being made live for the user'?

the installation must be powered up to do your tests, so if it passes, and is safe, are you suggesting the user is not allowed to use it until the council come 'round? :confused:

I am both qualified and competent to install and test my own work - and there is not a man alive in this country that can overule or overide my testing of the installation. My decisions as the inspector are final and absolute, and NO-ONe (including the unqualified monkeys at the LABC) has the power to question my decisions
YOU DONT READ DO YOU

This reply was addressed to a member who is trying to get Part P registration - not one who is registered.

You are also very cockey - Any complaints procedure against your work would involve a senior engineer being able to inspect your work and requiring you to put it right if it is unsafe or not to the current standards. Or did your qualify above everyone else.

Assuming there is a complaints proceedure in place which someone then tries to follow then I take it someone WOULD be entitled to check your work Shakey and even re-test?

And please chaps, can we leave the personal insults for other forums? We don't need to sling words at each other to get our point across do we.

YOU DONT READ DO YOU

This reply was addressed to a member who is trying to get Part P registration - not one who is registered.

You are also very cockey - Any complaints procedure against your work would involve a senior engineer being able to inspect your work and requiring you to put it right if it is unsafe or not to the current standards. Or did your qualify above everyone else.

I presume if he had tested the work ,and checked his results and the work complys,then at whos cost is the work altered ,if its on the say so ,of this "senior inspector" and the electrician who carried out the work looses out financially,then surely it needs to go through some form of litigation,if its then proved the inspector was being vindictive,then surelly you would have a valled claim against him ,the same as builders do against surveyors ,and building inspectors,otherwise all anyone needs to do ,is complain about the work ,bung the inspector ,and get out of paying for the job

And as i understand it ,one has to comply with part p of the building regs ,whats this regerstration ? or have i got that wrong ?

I presume if he had tested the work ,and checked his results and the work complys,then at whos cost is the work altered ,if its on the say so ,of this "senior inspector" and the electrician who carried out the work looses out financially,then surely it needs to go through some form of litigation,if its then proved the inspector was being vindictive,then surelly you would have a valled claim against him ,the same as builders do against surveyors ,and building inspectors,otherwise all anyone needs to do ,is complain about the work ,bung the inspector ,and get out of paying for the job

And as i understand it ,one has to comply with part p of the building regs ,whats this regerstration ? or have i got that wrong ?

Q1. As I am NICEIC registered I give that answer (I think all the others have similar):
  1. If customer decides that they wish to complain for whatever reason about the electrical work, they complete a Complaints Form
  2. A senior engineer from NICEIC is allocated. They will confirm details and visit site to inspect.
  3. If the work is unsafe or not up to standard, the visit will be charged to the Registered electrician. Otherwise NICEIC takes the cost.
  4. The Registered electrician will be given a report, expected to rectify the installation and may be revisited by NICEIC to check his work.
  5. If the electrician is unable to put right (bust or refuses), NICEIC insurance will pay for another electrician to correct installation.
  6. If there is a commercial dispute between Registered electrician and customer the complaint procedure cannot be activated.
It is very difficult to litigate for bad workmanship unless someone's life has been threatened or eliminated by faulty workmanship. E.g. a valid defense is that I am compenent and carried out the work to the best of my ability.

I understand that the industry is setting up a means of reporting bad workmanship so that obvious failures (e.g. bad earthing) can be reported for pursuit. Also the HSE regulations are being strengthened to match the strength of the CORGI regulations. Currently EWR only applies while an electrician is working on site - as soon as work is complete EWR no longer applies (- daft!!)

Q2. If you wish to self-certify work under Part P, the electrician has to be registered with an appropriate body, e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT, etc. Sorry about confussion, this whole thread was started by a guy who wish to work towards getting registered under Part P.

Hope that clears this up!

Q1. As I am NICEIC registered I give that answer (I think all the others have similar):
  1. If customer decides that they wish to complain for whatever reason about the electrical work, they complete a Complaints Form
  2. A senior engineer from NICEIC is allocated. They will confirm details and visit site to inspect.
  3. If the work is unsafe or not up to standard, the visit will be charged to the Registered electrician. Otherwise NICEIC takes the cost.
  4. The Registered electrician will be given a report, expected to rectify the installation and may be revisited by NICEIC to check his work.
  5. If the electrician is unable to put right (bust or refuses), NICEIC insurance will pay for another electrician to correct installation.
  6. If there is a commercial dispute between Registered electrician and customer the complaint procedure cannot be activated.
Q2. If you wish to self-certify work under Part P, the electrician has to be registered with an appropriate body, e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT, etc. Sorry about confussion, this whole thread was started by a guy who wish to work towards getting registered under Part P.

Hope that clears this up!

Hi ,
Yes that clarifies it ,i wasnt thinking you were on about the niceic, that explains it all.:eek:

and as far as question 2, do you have to be regerstered with one of these commercial organisations,to self cirtify you work ,i understood you didnt:confused:

Am I missing something? I thought you could self-certify work as long as if you were not in Napit, NICEIC etc then you pay a fee to LABC. All assuming you are 'competent'.

Am I missing something? I thought you could self-certify work as long as if you were not in Napit, NICEIC etc then you pay a fee to LABC. All assuming you are 'competent'.

Thats what i understood aswell .the niceic ,napit and any of the other growing "schemes" will lead you to belive this is the case ,im not sure but i dont think its got to that yet:mad:

I was led to think that this is the case but that the NIC were simply trying to get as many people on board so if they can alter the way people think so that naturally we all then believe we have got to join them in order to self cert then hey......
I reckon that as long as you are competent and test, inspect and complete paperwork properly whilst informing/paying LABC then there is nothing wrong with that. In the long run joining an approved body will be much cheaper that paying LABC each time.

If you are not registered under Part P with one of the FIVE bodies accredited for this purpose - BRE, BSI, ELECSA, NAPIT or NICEIC - you must use LABC to ensure the certificate is recorded at LABC.

If you are Part P registered, you can self-certify by using your bodies online system for entering broad details of the work carried out - this is then transmitted to LABC.

The fact a certificate has been issued is then "searchable" in legal terms - e.g. when a house is about to be purchased (this will become part of HIP in due course).

The Part P Approved document confirms this and more (pages 11 to 13) - link here

Reply to whats needed to register in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock