Discuss What's the best 3 Phase Starter to use for a bore hole pump in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hubbs

Hi all,

I currently have a MEM 827 ADS 4KW 415V 3 Phase Starter on my bore hole. It is controlled via the float switch in the reservoir.

It has started becoming unreliable and keeps cutting out. Rather than just replace it with the same unit, I was wondering about upgrading it to a newer model. Can anyone suggest a good reliable one?

Looking about I see that some now have a slow start and stop to prolong the life of the pump and pipes. Are they a good idea and are their likely to be compatibility issues? I don't know the model of the pump as it's been in there for years.

Thanks

Duncan

What's the best 3 Phase Starter to use for a bore hole pump {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

QuantityPrice Each 1£114.40 6£107.54​

cable entry °C –25...40
Protection type IP 65
Degree of protection with push−through
cable entry IP 65
Dissipatable heat loss​
Material characteristics​
Material
Base, Cover Glass−fibre reinforced
polycarbonate
Surface treatment Resistant to corrosion
Colour
Base RAL 9005, black (matt)
Cover Enclosure cover RAL 7035,
light grey (matt)​
Material properties​
Electrical
Creepage resistance to IEC 60112
Base CTI175
Cover CTI175
Surface resistance to IEC 60093 × 10​
13 1
Dielectric strength to IEC 60243−1 kV/mm 30
Thermal
Continuous thermal stability
Enclosures °C −40...120
Gasket °C −40...80
Mechanical
IK code to EN 50102 Please enquire
Weight of components fitted
per mounting rail kg 0,85
with mounting plate kg 0,85
Chemical resistance
Base, Cover
Resistant Acids < 10 %, mineral oil,
petrol, grease, saline solution
Partially resistant Acids > 10 %, alcohol
Not resistant Alkalis, benzol
Atmospheric
Saline spray IEC 60068−2−11

UV resistance Beneath protective shield
RS Stock No.528-7369ManufacturerMoellerManufacturers Part No.XDP4/I(400V50HZ)Catalogue page1 - 666

Have several of these around dont give any problems :)

Andy, that looks like a direct on-line starter. Correct me if im wrong?

Maybe a star-delta starter or an invertor or a motor soft-start are more suitable?

Although both are fairly complicated to install for an amatuer (Im assuming Hubbs is an amatuer?)

How much technical knowledge do you have Hubbs? How much are you looking to spend?

Maybe a star-delta starter or an invertor or a motor soft-start are more suitable?

Although both are fairly complicated to install for an amatuer (Im assuming Hubbs is an amatuer?)

How much technical knowledge do you have Hubbs? How much are you looking to spend?

I beleive that MEM 827 ADS 4KW 415V is a DOL, probaly with the float switched wired across the start button.

If its a more complicated system then perhaps a softstart maybe required. :)

I studied electrical engineering at college, although that was a while back, so have forgotten most of it. I've done a fair bit of domestic rewiring, but not since the new rules came in. I still managed to remember enough to pass my 17th edition wiring a few months back though. So I am a bit more than an amateur, but lack the experience of the more seasoned electrician.

Budget wise I can pick up another Mem for about £80, but am willing to pay a bit more if I get a better system out of it.

Thanks for to all for the feedback so far.

hi there

you say that the existing starter is unreliable because it keeps cutting out? maybe its cutting out on overload and there may be a problem with the pump end causing strain on the motor and therefore cutting out? worked on many borehole systems and seen this a few times, on the other hand if the starter is faulty and if you have the cash a variable speed drive is a good idea because you have less wear and tear on starting. personaly i use telemecanique d.o.l starters and find them very reliable. they are available fron rs. hope this helps.

cheers
Gary

Hi.

You say that the starter keeps cutting out, it could be that your problem is elsewhere and the overload within the starter is simply doing it's job.

Might be worth investigating all avenues before forking out for a new unit.

I've used ABB quite a lot and dont have a problem with them.

Cheers.

Hi.

You say that the starter keeps cutting out, it could be that your problem is elsewhere and the overload within the starter is simply doing it's job.

Might be worth investigating all avenues before forking out for a new unit.

I've used ABB quite a lot and dont have a problem with them.

Cheers.

Agree abb tele are all good. also yes the problem could be else where, but it could be the overload its self they do wear out some times !:)

If it all worked fine orginally i think you only need a replacement and not all the fancy paraphernalia, keep it simple, like me LOL :p

Star delta for motors over 7.5 kw.

You tend to use a Star/Delta Starter on motors rated higher than 5KW.
Using a simple DOL starter and a float dont sound that cleaver.
Dont like the idea of energising the coil (which I assume to be 400v) via a float.
It may be a little bit more expensive to do the job right, but it could save a life.
Transform your float voltage down to a safe value (24v) and use a 24v contactor.
dont forget to use double pole fuse or MCB on the transformers primary (again assuming you
have no neutral). will send you a schematic if it helps.

You tend to use a Star/Delta Starter on motors rated higher than 5KW.
Using a simple DOL starter and a float dont sound that cleaver.
Dont like the idea of energising the coil (which I assume to be 400v) via a float.
It may be a little bit more expensive to do the job right, but it could save a life.
Transform your float voltage down to a safe value (24v) and use a 24v contactor.
dont forget to use double pole fuse or MCB on the transformers primary (again assuming you
have no neutral). will send you a schematic if it helps.

hi agree with your safety ideals and thats what i would do, choice in these units thou is normaly 415 or 240 volts as you say. :)

Reply to What's the best 3 Phase Starter to use for a bore hole pump in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock