Discuss What’s the best route to becoming an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I’m at a crossroads. I’m 21, and I’ve just applied for a college course but im worried at the end of it I will not be able to get a job as an electricians mate. And I’m worried on how long it will take.

I was looking at the apprenticeship route, but it’ll leave me on £4.15 an hour and because of my age I don’t think anyone will take me on because they won’t get any contributions from the government. and I am also saving for a mortgage, but for the first year I might be okay until I get on the minimum wage.

What do you guys think is the best way to get into it?

joining as an apprentice or going through college and becoming an electricians mate after? Which is the easiest?

If you do an electrician's apprenticeship then you will learn the trade and in a few years you will qualify as an electrician.

If you become an electrician's mate then you'll be a glorified labourer and in a few years you will still be an electrician's mate.

So I’m at a crossroads. I’m 21, and I’ve just applied for a college course but im worried at the end of it I will not be able to get a job as an electricians mate. And I’m worried on how long it will take.

I was looking at the apprenticeship route, but it’ll leave me on £4.15 an hour and because of my age I don’t think anyone will take me on because they won’t get any contributions from the government. and I am also saving for a mortgage, but for the first year I might be okay until I get on the minimum wage.

What do you guys think is the best way to get into it?

joining as an apprentice or going through college and becoming an electricians mate after? Which is the easiest?

The bonus of doing the apprenticeship is you get experience as you learn, which is a great first step when you apply for jobs.

Im 45 & just finishing my apprenticeship so your not too old yet but I did find it hard to get an apprenticeship, just don’t give up.

Regarding the 1st year apprenticeship low wage, if you were to pay a training centre for the C&G 2365 level 2&3 for example your looking at a cost of about £7000 & no experience. But if you did the apprenticeship say at £4.15 x 40 x 52 that comes to £8632 your getting paid plus you haven’t spent £7000 l, if instead you put that £7000 with your 1st year £8632 effectively your wage would £15632 Which gets you through your 1st year & then your money goes up to you for your age or more with the right company.

Personally I Would recommend the apprenticeship route. But whichever route you decide I wish you all the best.

Michael

Edited. Bloody auto correct lol

The bonus of doing the apprenticeship is you get experience as you learn, which is a great first step when you apply for jobs.

Im 45 & just finishing my apprenticeship so your not too old yet but I did find it hard to get an apprenticeship, just don’t give up.

Regarding the 1st year apprenticeship low wage, if you were to pay a training centre for the C&G 2365 level 2&3 for example your looking at a cost of about £7000 & no experience. But if you did the apprenticeship say at £4.15 x 40 x 52 that comes to £8632 your getting paid plus you haven’t spent £7000 l, if instead you put that £7000 with your 1st year £8632 effectively your wage would £15632 Which gets you through your 1st year & then your money goes up to you for your age or more with the right company.

Personally I Would recommend the apprenticeship route. But whichever route you decide I wish you all the best.

Michael

Edited. Bloody auto correct lol
Thanks for the reply.

the only thing I’m worried about is paying rent to my mom £200. My car finance £225,then my phone bill £60 then fuel. And I’ll have to save for my next years insurance and for my age it’s about £2000-£2500

Thanks for the reply.

the only thing I’m worried about is paying rent to my mom £200. My car finance £225,then my phone bill £60 then fuel. And I’ll have to save for my next years insurance and for my age it’s about £2000-£2500
It is hard, there's no doubt about that. But we all had to do it and your lucky that your at home paying 200 rather than having to try and pay a mortgage and for a family. Now is the time to do it while you have no commitments.

A decent apprenticeship With a decent firm is worth its weight in gold , a carp apprenticeship / jobbing as a mate is worth what you can Squeeze out of it...
in 5 years time when you know your stuff depending on where you live will easily be able to earn 40 grand a year.
as a jobbing sparks mate you will be lucky to get 20 grand a year out of it

depends what you want out of it really

Reply to What’s the best route to becoming an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net