Discuss Whats the best way to add a surge protector to my machine? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi , I have an asphalt testing machine and would like to add a surge protector to it. I have single phase 240 coming into a 40 amp main breaker on my machine. What size of surge protector should I get and how would I wire it to the machine?

It is very much UK-centric but this guide might help:

Many makes of distribution board now offer SPD options, so you really ought to get a professional to look at what can be fitted to your one as that then protects all of your equipment.

If you don't expect high surge energy (no overhead supply lines, no lighting protection on building, etc) then you get "Type 2" SPD that are reasonably priced, in the $100-200 region for single phase. If you do have a risk of high energy impulses then the "Type 1+2" offer around a magnitude more energy capacity but at around 4 times the cost.

When checking specifications of peak current, remember that the 10/350us waveform used for type 1 testing on a direct hit has much more energy than the same current in the 8/20us waveform used for induced surges when testing type 2 SPD.

Reply to Whats the best way to add a surge protector to my machine? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Our farm has a main 200 amp panel in the barn which services the barn, an addition to the barn with an apartment, an herb-gardening facility, and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Grateful for your expertise regarding my confusion on the below. Context: French rural domestic property Single phase supply, TT...
Replies
Views
I have a scenario where there is a three phase DB in a commercial property where there are mixture of three phase and single phase washing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, could someone help with the following please? The scenario is: Domestic property supplied via three phase (with a 3P main DB, NO SPD)...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock