Discuss What's the best way to become a fully qualified electrician earning a good wage? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As the title says, what's the best way of doing this?

I got a good set of GCSES (2A*s, 10As and 2Bs) however I do not think that I will be able to go to uni. Instead learning a trade is a more likely option. I have decided to go to being an electrician and will probably apply for something next year.

What are the valid routes you can gain the relevant qualifications to becoming an electrician? Is there job security until retirement? Is the pay good? Is it worth it? Etc. Any help would be appreciated to give me an insight into becoming an electrician would be extremely useful.

Thanks

Hi mate,

Best route would be to do an apprenticeship. To keep it short and sweet, you would spend 3 years at college doing your c&g/eal levels 2 and 3, and in your fourth year do your NVQ and AM2S.

Cheers

As the title says, what's the best way of doing this?

I got a good set of GCSES (2A*s, 10As and 2Bs) however I do not think that I will be able to go to uni. Instead learning a trade is a more likely option. I have decided to go to being an electrician and will probably apply for something next year.

What are the valid routes you can gain the relevant qualifications to becoming an electrician? Is there job security until retirement? Is the pay good? Is it worth it? Etc. Any help would be appreciated to give me an insight into becoming an electrician would be extremely useful.

Thanks

is there job security?
No, there are no longer jobs for life available.
however, if your good at what you do and work hard there will always be a job available for you.

Is the pay good?
If you are self employed and put your heart and sole in to it then there is an opportunity to make good money.

If you are employed and willing to work long hours or unsociable hours, again you can do well

if you just want to plod along with a fixed hours job where you do your shift and go home without putting that little bit extra in, you will find life tough and jobs scarce.

if you enjoy working with tools, using your head to find ways around problems then its worth it.
if you don't like getting dirty, forget it.
if you don't like being on your feet all day, forget it.

(I have decided to go to being an electrician and will probably apply for something next year.)

that statement suggests to me that you are not fussed, I might get round to applying for something at some point next year?
attitude is really important, if you want to get a position with a company that will let you train.
you will need to up your game and appear keen, take anything and go the extra mile.
if you are determined to go on the tools, your A*'s mean nothing, your attitude tells us everything.

train to be a dentist. £600 for a single tooth implant. jeez.

...your A*'s mean nothing...
I agree... education has been dumbed down alot over the last 30 years. I'm intrigued how he appears to have 14 GCSEs... in my day you did 8 'O' Levels as standard, with maybe the odd one taken early or an AO tucked in if you were a genius.

I think Tesco were running remedial English/Maths classes for their annual intake to teach them how to read and write ?

Become a gardener...

£25p/h , no scam fees , no retaking exams every 2-3 years , no expensive books and test equipment to keep updating

If m'lord pleases, I'd like to present as evidence, Q. 5 (a) from last years Mathematics GCSE paper....

5. (a) Convert 35cm into mm

...and a question from the last year of 'O' Levels;

If 4x - 5y = 22 and 2x + 3y = 0, solve for x and y

If m'lord pleases, I'd like to present as evidence, Q. 5 (a) from last years Mathematics GCSE paper....

5. (a) Convert 35cm into mm

...and a question from the last year of 'O' Levels;

If 4x - 5y = 22 and 2x + 3y = 0, solve for x and y

Interesting sample size of one from each.

The simultaneous equations are still very much in the curriculum. Taught in year 9 or sometimes sooner, and it's easy enough.

Here's a 'key point' in the 2365 level 2 textbook;

"If something doubles in size it is two times (*2) as large. If it halves it is divided by two (/2)"

Which is one reason I never bothered going down the 2365 route....

Reply to What's the best way to become a fully qualified electrician earning a good wage? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock