Discuss whats the correct method of connecting broken - cutcable in a ring main socket please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mrgee

Hi, i have a fault on my lounge ring main, it works fine but failed the tests, i have discovered a cable passing through the back of one of the sockets has been cut which was part of the ring, what i need to know is how should this be correctly reconnected, there is enough cable to crimp or run into a connector block (of the correct rating) just didnt know which was the correct method, i am unable to run a new cable due to the plaster and decor, thanks

Re: whats the correct method of connecting broken - cutcable in a ring main socket pl

where will the joint be when done? if it's going to be inaccessible, i would suggest through crimps and heat shrink sleeving. sleeve the conductors, and then over sleeve the sheath.

Re: whats the correct method of connecting broken - cutcable in a ring main socket pl

thanks, the joint will sit in the back of the socket box, enough space for a bloc but wanted to do it exactly how it should be, thanks

Your correct in saying it would require crimping but I would ask myself why it was cut in the first place, they don't do it to themselves. could it be a faulty section that is disconected at the other end.

Hi, i have a fault on my lounge ring main, it works fine but failed the tests,What tests, if it's failed how does it work fine?
i have discovered a cable passing through the back of one of the sockets has been cut which was part of the ring, Do you know who cut it, why it was cut, is it still a ring, is it now 2 radials, was this done during these tests?

what i need to know is how should this be correctly reconnected, thereWas it cut for a reason, what would happen if you reconnect it and it went bang

is enough cable to crimp or run into a connector block (of the correct rating) just didnt know which was the correct method,Think the correct method would be find out as much as you can about why all this as happened, before you do anything else, are you an electrician?
i am unable to run a new cable due to the plaster and decor, thanksFair enough but again you need to know what and why you are doing something

See above

no, it was an error by the junior spark, he thought he was cutting the old cable out and cut the newly installed cable.

thanks very much, whilst your comments and questions are very useful and very important, assuming everything is correct and as it should be and the cable needs to be reconnected, how should it be done ? - thats all i need to know, the long version is its a new install, the ring failed the ring tests, its been discovered that a link between sockets (due to a concrete floor) runs up the back of a socket but was cut by mistake by the junior electrician, when they return they will fix it and it will be fully tested by a competent person before its energized but i just wondered how it would be repaired correctly, thats all..

then your first job is to test your insulation tester at 500volts.......... on the junior spark.

as the joint will be inside the socket back box, no need for sheathing, so crimp and sleeve just the 3 conductors.

I see from your other posts mrgee that your doing your own wiring around the place, may be good for the sparks that is checking it to test it and conect correctly on this one mate. would you be the junior sparks lol. It can happen.

thanks, as i am reasonably capable i will do it and get it checked by the spark, just want to know the correct method, after spending a lot of money for them to send in a kid and then get problems like this and others makes me mad, i will be paying for it to be fully tested and certified, i wont be paying more money for a kid to spend all day running 2 lengths of cable.

There isnt really a correct method of joining wires in an enclosure.....connectors,crimps and wago type connectors are all favoured by different electricians. I've used them all,the only thing I would say is that insulated crimps are a bit hit and miss on solid core wires such as 2.5mm T/E. Crimp it and try wriggling/pulling the wires,chances are you will feel movement,where the wire quickly works loose. Insulated crimps are fine on stranded cores but I've stopped using them on solid cores.I'm now favouring the lever type wago's for this sort of thing...but while standard 30a connectors are frowned upon by many,used with care I would favour them over an insulated crimp on solid cores every time.

I agree with wirepuller but conectors to me so feel so like DIY. and i Recon about 1 in 5 of my crimp attempts fail with a wiggle and i have to redo them. but when they are firm and solid they just feel profesional.. maybe thats just me...

I'd agree with wirepuller and Edd, I don't really trust insulated crimps with solid core wires.

If you want something better than choc block, I use single pole insulated cage clamps. They're particularly useful where you have different wire sizes, or solid and flexible together. Being transparent, you can see that all the cores are in place and they don't damage the cores like a direct screw. Available from RS, various sizes available, eg part no. 315-4942.

They're made by Cembre:Electrical Connectors - Cable Connectors - CEMBRE
Products/Cable Accessories/Terminal Blocks

(first time I've tried uploading a pic to the forums, so may not be the right size)

IMG_2804 - Copy (2).JPG

Last edited:

Several far from happy posts from Mrgee....

No location stated but I'm assuming England/Wales. If so you shouldn't have to be the one fixing the mistakes, the Part P registered firm should. A call to them should suffice. You shouldn't need to fear paying twice for the work.

I'm neither in England or Wales, nor registered with any scheme (you get the choice of 1 in Northern Ireland! Not required by law though). I'd be round to fix any balls up's made by me or any spark who worked for me for free.

Reply to whats the correct method of connecting broken - cutcable in a ring main socket please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net