Discuss Whats the difference between Domestic , Commercial and Industrial.? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

When it comes to Electrical work.

Usually domestic is households ( but not always), commercial is shops,ind. estate factories, schools, hospitals prisons etc, industrial is petro chem., oil rigs, ship building, sub-station HV works.
Domestic is covered by 17th wiring regs. and sometimes JIB/NICEIC/NAPIT, but not always??? Commercial is covered by 17th wiring regs. under JIB/SJIB National Agreements, industrial sometimes comes under 17th wiring regs. sometimes under JIB/SJIB but more usually NAECI Agreement and also sometimes under client Agreements.
Confusing isn't it? But you can see why there has to be more emphasis on proper training of apprentices/adult trainees because potentially a newly "qualified electrician" could work in all sectors and in my case I have!!!

Usually domestic is households ( but not always), commercial is shops,ind. estate factories, schools, hospitals prisons etc, industrial is petro chem., oil rigs, ship building, sub-station HV works.
Domestic is covered by 17th wiring regs. and sometimes JIB/NICEIC/NAPIT, but not always??? Commercial is covered by 17th wiring regs. under JIB/SJIB National Agreements, industrial sometimes comes under 17th wiring regs. sometimes under JIB/SJIB but more usually NAECI Agreement and also sometimes under client Agreements.
Confusing isn't it? But you can see why there has to be more emphasis on proper training of apprentices/adult trainees because potentially a newly "qualified electrician" could work in all sectors and in my case I have!!!

Seeing as your the only one out of the rest of us retrobates that gave a sensible answer you do seserve a like

commercial and industrial pay more for LESS work and its easier!!

If you honestly believe that daft comment , you have obviously never worked in a Real commercial or Real Industrial environment!!!

One thing to remember here, ...You can take an industrial electrician and and drop him in a domestic environment and with a few pointers here and there would be quite capable of undertaking any work in that category. Try doing that with a domestic electrician and dropping him in a heavy commercial, or industrial surrounding, and see what happens!!!

I would have said that generally speaking it's down to how you can run the cables:

Domestic they go in the walls behind capping and plaster and along/through the joists
Commercial they go above an accessible ceiling in trunking/conduit/basket/tie anchors/slung across the ceiling grid
Industrial would be more likely SWA on tray, busbar, steel trunking & conduit.

With commercial work you'd probably come across 3 phase work so you'd need to consider balancing phases; something you'd certainly have to do with industrial.

Domestic is often considered to be 'easier' because to a certain extent you can do it 'parrot fashion' - "this goes here like this, that goes there like that. Why? Because that's how it's done to make it all work." On the other hand you're more likely to come across ingenious little DIY innovations, like a plugtop with the flex tacked to the skirting board and disappearing off somewhere, sockets which you can only use specific equipment on them because running them from the lighting circuit was cheaper/neater/easier or because they're wired in coax/bell wire.

Balancing loads is always a fun one. Open a dis board and you will find red jammed full, blue not far behind it. Yellow must have the plague, hardly anything on it. I know from the first plants I worked on the old boards had bare bus-bars so the lads avoided yellow as the dodgy one to get at, but it carried on with the new fully insulated boards?
Sorry for using the old colours, I don’t like these new (dangerous) colours.

Sorry for using the old colours, I don’t like these new (dangerous) colours.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

another good reason to get out of europe. but it's same with our trade. why is it that only the british workers let any tom dick or harry with a suit and a clipboard walk all over us. we should do like the frogs do. .... block the roads, petrol stations, council offices, and any more you can think of, untill someting is done about it.

Domestic= You get cups of tea from the lady of the house, you wear jeans and trainers.

Commercial = Take a flask, wear dickies pants with knee pads.

Industrial = Canteen on site and you wear a boiler suit and rigger boots.

Industrial = Canteen on site and you wear a boiler suit and rigger boots.

You must be thinking of the good old days mate. We dont have a canteen now, cost cutting....

WOT? you telling me there are sites where you still get a lunch break? how much of the £6/hour do the agencies dock for it?

WOT? you telling me there are sites where you still get a lunch break? how much of the £6/hour do the agencies dock for it?

Wherever I’ve worked we got paid lunch breaks for the simple reason you couldn’t rely on getting a break. Get a break down and your working through. The up side was you took a break any time you could.

Reply to Whats the difference between Domestic , Commercial and Industrial.? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net