Discuss Whats the furthest you've travelled for a simple job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

Regular EF Member
I have to travel from Bristol to near Edinburgh in Scotland on Monday, all just to look at a motorised satellite dish on a hospitality trailer that is not working......

I would so love it, if I find out its just a loose cable...

Im not so sure on the economics, however as a good employee, I shall do as im told....

Moley

Baaaa!!!
A few years ago two of us traveled from just north of Cardiff to Hunteston power station just west of Glasgow. When we got there the scaffolding on the transformer wasn't in the right place so we told the scaffs what to do while we watched. Had two nights in a hotel, two days traveling and one day watching scaffolders do our job.

Reactions: DPG

FatAlan

Trainee
Trainee Access
Been mentioned by an old school friend that he needs a spark up in the Orkney Islands re some wiring on an oyster hatchery. Will probably be beyond my competency at the moment but would be good to work on :p

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
Where near Edinburgh?
I’ll do it for you and we can half the payment.

Biggest distance travelled for a waste of time was a minibus full of trades, sparks, joiners and labourers... plus the manager.... who promptly fell asleep for the duration of the drive.... from leuchars in fife to Glasgow airport. Only a few hours drive... but we did arrive to do the job a whole week early. Thanks to the sleeping manager that couldn’t read a date properly.

Furthest travel to a job. Brother in laws house in New Zealand, I changed a few faceplates and put in led lights under his kitchen cabinets. Does it still count when I was on holiday there anyway?

DT1991

Regular EF Member
Peterborough to Inverness to open up a gate.

When I worked on the railway access keys are generally signed out as some areas are restricted access.

The generator company needed access to top the fuel up.

I had the key I was 'closest'

GBDamo

Subscribed Member
I have to travel from Bristol to near Edinburgh in Scotland on Monday, all just to look at a motorised satellite dish on a hospitality trailer that is not working......

Im not so sure on the economics, however as a good employee, I shall do as im told....
Penrith to Hull to change a light switch.

UNG

Forum Mentor
Did a point to point data radio survey in Selsey that ended up as 3 trips

Trip 1 couldn't get a line of sight so suggested that a couple of monopole masts might work and that we would need a couple of 17m cherry pickers to prove it

Trip 2 a week later gets to site and find the that the client has hired 2 17ft cherry pickers

Trip 3 a week on client has ordered 17m pickers but we still can't get a viable line of sight

So 1600 miles to prove the job couldn't be done. just glad I wasn't there a couple of weeks later when border force raided the place

Sintra

The Innkeeper
Staff member
Admin
Travelled from the UK to Guyana in South America to check emergency lighting and also travelled from the UK to Cape Town South Africa to fix a UPS.

rapparee

Electrician's Arms
Belfast to Dublin to visit the Chinese Embassy, on non-electrical business.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to drive your car into their yard. Sort of caused a scene.

rapparee

Electrician's Arms
Travelled from the UK to Guyana in South America to check emergency lighting and also travelled from the UK to Cape Town South Africa to fix a UPS.
Emergency lighting?

That's the height of stupidity, surely there was someone on the continent who was capable of swapping a few 12v 7Ah batteries.

I would see into if it if you were commissioning some high end machinery, but this is just wasteful.

NDG Elecs

Electrician's Arms
Not strictly within what you are asking in your original post but the question made me think of it.
I had a job up near Dunstanburgh castle, probably around seven years ago now. Although not that far from me by any stretch, the issue with this job was that the nearest place to park was around half a mile from the property, which was a wooden house set in sand dunes. I had to make three round trips just lugging my gear up to the house. By 9am I felt I had already done a full days graft. On the plus side it was a beautiful setting to work in though...

geordie

Electrician's Arms
Teesside to London to press and test button or a rcbo to prove the circuit had rcd protection onsite 10 minutes

pirate

Regular EF Member
To Spain, twice, to fit heater panels...
they didn't arrive, twice...
Weather was sh*t too, the second time. 3 days of torrential rain and twisters that took the pylons down, so no heat, light or water for 3 days while i waited in for the delivery...
Fortunately, the booze cupboard was full...

Sintra

The Innkeeper
Staff member
Admin
Emergency lighting?

That's the height of stupidity, surely there was someone on the continent who was capable of swapping a few 12v 7Ah batteries.

I would see into if it if you were commissioning some high end machinery, but this is just wasteful.
It was only to do a 3 hour duration test lol.

KennyKen

Electrician's Arms
Got to have a licence to wipe ur ass out here. You must have a verification of competency to turn a light switch off

Pete999

Forum Mentor

Was the trip worth it financially? or was it a mates job?

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
I had to do some work in the next village, it was at the bottom of the vale. House was at the end of the road, and I had to pass a deep hole next to a tree; there was a owl in the hole. What was I thinking, my wife my children. I could of been stuck down that hole, with the owl till the middle of the night.

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
@Charlie_ , I don’t think the IOM is a country.... unless you’re trying to go independent like Scotland.

Next stop. Entry at the European song contest!
Really, don’t be coming over here saying that to the locals, they will have you up ‘ango hill’
Friday was a bank holiday here in the iom.. the reason? Tynwald Day, the day of our National Assembly...

Shoei

Regular EF Member
10538 miles, Melbourne, machine temperature control failure. Pointed out the line in the manual saying "protect from direct sunlight" drew the blinds, two hours to confirm it was OK and back home. Didn't even have to cycle the power.:rolleyes:

OP
M

-Matt

Regular EF Member
Was the trip worth it financially? or was it a mates job?
No way, its more a case of keeping a major sports entity happy, for when a big job (involving 100's of thousands of £) comes along.

I worked out it would have cost easily £700 for me to be sent, just to take a look!

Anyway, I got there on Monday and decided it was toast! Water ingress into the circuit board.

And now today have the lovely job of driving up to Northern Ireland (where the trailer now is) today with a brand new dish to fit tomorrow!

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Had to fly to Texas due to one of our engineers leaving some test code in a PLC and forgot to remove it before leaving site.

20 hours travelling there, 20min on site. Steak dinner, back on the plane home the next day.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.