Discuss Whats the furthest you've travelled for a simple job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
I have to travel from Bristol to near Edinburgh in Scotland on Monday, all just to look at a motorised satellite dish on a hospitality trailer that is not working......

I would so love it, if I find out its just a loose cable...

Im not so sure on the economics, however as a good employee, I shall do as im told....

A few years ago two of us traveled from just north of Cardiff to Hunteston power station just west of Glasgow. When we got there the scaffolding on the transformer wasn't in the right place so we told the scaffs what to do while we watched. Had two nights in a hotel, two days traveling and one day watching scaffolders do our job.

Probably a 200 mile round trip to straighten up some socket plates

Been mentioned by an old school friend that he needs a spark up in the Orkney Islands re some wiring on an oyster hatchery. Will probably be beyond my competency at the moment but would be good to work on :p

Where near Edinburgh?
I’ll do it for you and we can half the payment.

Biggest distance travelled for a waste of time was a minibus full of trades, sparks, joiners and labourers... plus the manager.... who promptly fell asleep for the duration of the drive.... from leuchars in fife to Glasgow airport. Only a few hours drive... but we did arrive to do the job a whole week early. Thanks to the sleeping manager that couldn’t read a date properly.

Furthest travel to a job. Brother in laws house in New Zealand, I changed a few faceplates and put in led lights under his kitchen cabinets. Does it still count when I was on holiday there anyway?

Peterborough to Inverness to open up a gate.

When I worked on the railway access keys are generally signed out as some areas are restricted access.

The generator company needed access to top the fuel up.

I had the key I was 'closest'

I have to travel from Bristol to near Edinburgh in Scotland on Monday, all just to look at a motorised satellite dish on a hospitality trailer that is not working......

I would so love it, if I find out its just a loose cable...

Im not so sure on the economics, however as a good employee, I shall do as im told....
Penrith to Hull to change a light switch.

Did a point to point data radio survey in Selsey that ended up as 3 trips

Trip 1 couldn't get a line of sight so suggested that a couple of monopole masts might work and that we would need a couple of 17m cherry pickers to prove it

Trip 2 a week later gets to site and find the that the client has hired 2 17ft cherry pickers

Trip 3 a week on client has ordered 17m pickers but we still can't get a viable line of sight

So 1600 miles to prove the job couldn't be done. just glad I wasn't there a couple of weeks later when border force raided the place

Travelled from the UK to Guyana in South America to check emergency lighting and also travelled from the UK to Cape Town South Africa to fix a UPS.

Belfast to Dublin to visit the Chinese Embassy, on non-electrical business.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to drive your car into their yard. Sort of caused a scene.

Travelled from the UK to Guyana in South America to check emergency lighting and also travelled from the UK to Cape Town South Africa to fix a UPS.
Emergency lighting?

That's the height of stupidity, surely there was someone on the continent who was capable of swapping a few 12v 7Ah batteries.

I would see into if it if you were commissioning some high end machinery, but this is just wasteful.

Couple of years ago I travelled to San Raphael to install a single socket in a yacht..
OH and also fitted a connect amp

Not strictly within what you are asking in your original post but the question made me think of it.
I had a job up near Dunstanburgh castle, probably around seven years ago now. Although not that far from me by any stretch, the issue with this job was that the nearest place to park was around half a mile from the property, which was a wooden house set in sand dunes. I had to make three round trips just lugging my gear up to the house. By 9am I felt I had already done a full days graft. On the plus side it was a beautiful setting to work in though...

Earlier this year I made the treacherous journey all the way up that ladder to install a chandelier..
Twice.. 1 on each side

Attachments

• Whats the furthest you've travelled for a simple job? 39B3DB3C-CFC5-48F6-8AA1-EC9393D5E25E - EletriciansForums.net
    39B3DB3C-CFC5-48F6-8AA1-EC9393D5E25E.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Whats the furthest you've travelled for a simple job? FEE5C0BE-C651-44DD-87B9-664536048F3A - EletriciansForums.net
    FEE5C0BE-C651-44DD-87B9-664536048F3A.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 59
To Spain, twice, to fit heater panels...
they didn't arrive, twice...
Weather was sh*t too, the second time. 3 days of torrential rain and twisters that took the pylons down, so no heat, light or water for 3 days while i waited in for the delivery...
Fortunately, the booze cupboard was full...

I had to travel from one end of the country to the other last week, just to drop off some materials... nightmare.
Took the coastal route there and came back the mountain road due to that rule where your return journey has to be different

Attachments

• Whats the furthest you've travelled for a simple job? B7B3CDF5-BBC2-4487-BF5A-FEA31DFE0D4D - EletriciansForums.net
    B7B3CDF5-BBC2-4487-BF5A-FEA31DFE0D4D.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 50

Reply to Whats the furthest you've travelled for a simple job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock