Discuss whats the roughest job you would like to own upto in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
mine was when I was training we were working at a industrial unit up on the second perlin
we installed a 25mm conduit then had the pleasure of wiring it with many cables , we tried and tried and tried we could not pull these dam cables inside this tube ,
so we had an idea get the cortina and tie the draw wire to the bumper and that will work , it did
hahahhahahahahaha

working as a subbie once on a private hospital. we were doing the lighting. all trunking and conduit. only conduit on site was 25mm. main contractor says "use the 25mm". so we did. following week we're on socket rings. 4mm singles. only conduit was the 20mm that had just arrived for the lighting. . main contractor says "use the 20mm". so 6 x 4mm cables down 20mm conduit with bends. used about 4lbs of lard from the hospital kitchen. what a bodge.

Late 90s, tight council who shall remain nameless wanted some street lighting extending into an old peoples close but didn't want to pay county council highways prices.
My boss at the time told me and an apprentice to go and extend it from a lamp post nearest the new ones. Mid December piddling down with rain and chilly, set apprentice up with kango and told him to be careful where he breaks as the cable may only just be under the tarmac. Walk away to start laying new cable to first post to turn round and see a big flash and him jumping into a huge puddle. The cable was an inch under the tarmac. Q finding the next post and pulling the cable out to isolate it!
Concentric cable through crimped back together with some heat shrink and put in a clear joint kit. Roughest job I've ever had to do, apparently saved the council near on 10 grand!

Worst bodge I done was in my own house lol. SWMBO wanted the living room made bigger so yours truly knocked down the existing stud wall and built a new wall with door opening at the bottom of the stairs. The living room before my wrecking only had 2 doors so normal 2 way switching. Now with the new entrance I needed to put in an intermediate so late on a Sunday night I lifted a few boards up the stairs and found the strappers got enough length to install a jb and chopped the cable. 2 new twins down to switch position, and switch fitted. Went to look for a jb and couldn’t find one anywhere not even a connector block. So I twisted cores together and taped them separately of course and fixed upstairs floor. This was only temporary of course as I was going to do properly straight away but I’ll be honest temporary was maybe 5 or 6 years lol. I only remembered about it when she wanted new faceplates fitted. :)

I installed some SY cable on an industrial site in the 1980’s (he made me do it). Never forgiven myself, still have sleepless nights now, just thinking about it.

Worst bodge I done was in my own house lol. SWMBO wanted the living room made bigger so yours truly knocked down the existing stud wall and built a new wall with door opening at the bottom of the stairs. The living room before my wrecking only had 2 doors so normal 2 way switching. Now with the new entrance I needed to put in an intermediate so late on a Sunday night I lifted a few boards up the stairs and found the strappers got enough length to install a jb and chopped the cable. 2 new twins down to switch position, and switch fitted. Went to look for a jb and couldn’t find one anywhere not even a connector block. So I twisted cores together and taped them separately of course and fixed upstairs floor. This was only temporary of course as I was going to do properly straight away but I’ll be honest temporary was maybe 5 or 6 years lol. I only remembered about it when she wanted new faceplates fitted. :)
hahahahha bodger hahahha great answer ajust dont tell anyone hahahha

reusing old pipe notches to run new cables is about all as I can think of....
And As above yanking cables through tight tubes using washing up liquid

Reply to whats the roughest job you would like to own upto in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock