Discuss What's the trick in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really dumb question!

Is there a trick to removing these downlights, this feels like it's built into the plaster board, normally I just twist, wiggle and pull down and the springs go back and down drops the light. This one just pulls the plaster down. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_181531.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 66
As above , super strong spring in a 69mm hole instead of a 72mm for example. Try and pull it down evenly and compress one side of the spring with a fine wood chisel or the like whilst tipping it over as you compress it to slide it down. It is hard to get it out without damage though.

as long as you can get some of the spring exposed you can always use a mutli tool to cut the arms free and then put some new ones on.
I have also used a multi tool blade to cut in under the outer rim freeing all the plaster, paint etc, you can then usually get a bit of play on them and twist a bit.

It may not be the spring type, a few have two blades and are secured into the ceiling by twisting clockwise. To remove simply twist it anticlockwise, (I think it's that way round!) if it is that type you'll know because it'll pop out really easily whereas no amount of pulling will drop it.

Reply to What's the trick in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi There Just a quick one, I'm wondering what's everyone's thoughts on this are. A subby has clipped a cable to a plaster board ceiling using 3m...
Replies
Views
I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a client who is developing a plot of land for a single house. Currently, their 100 amp service cut-out is in a cubicle fed by...
Replies
Views
I am never quite sure if I am doing too little or too much when someone has a flood and I am called in. The most recent example is a chap has had...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm in need of some advice. First of all i'm not an electrician but do have an understanding of electrics as i come from an electronics...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock