Discuss What’s this connection called? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shpark

-
Reaction score
Family member has a reading light. Has a 24v supply from a mains socket. The tranny in the plug had gone and looking for a replacement. Anyone know what this is called?C7FCBCD4-02AA-4968-BF15-4BE9D842B0C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, a 2 pin DIN plug aka speaker plug. Used on budget hifi stuff in the 1970s (and by some decent brands who should have known better!).

Now used commonly on ELV lighting.

It seems the 2-pin DIN connectors were popular on christmas lights, and indeed desk lamps etc. years ago, but have fallen out of favour now. Also with the migration away from traditional transformers, there are few 'plug in' replacement options for your family's defunct transformer.

Would this provide enough current? If the lamp has a filament bulb, this may not be beefy enough.
But if I understand correctly, it has the right socket!

(I can't immediately see any source of such things other than ebay as I suspect they're not made any more ?)

Last edited:
You could always buy a standard mains adapter and fit one of these.
Just check that it is the pins are the same size as the original.
What wattage transformer is the original?
Surely the op needs a socket to put on the new transformer, not a plug ?

Last edited:

Reply to What’s this connection called? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hope you're all well . I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I replaced an outdoor electrical socket recently with a 2 gang, BG socket which has LED lights to show when it is switched on. Since then I...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm in the process of getting my qualifications and am taking on some small jobs for family to try and get some experience in. Today I was...
Replies
Views
I am not an electrician but am looking for some advice as to how to fix my sporadic light flickering problem that has come and gone for the year...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock