Discuss What’s this? Is it a? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The property its at...any communal lighting. I work in social housing and round various blocks of flats etc someones meter cupboard has one of these in and its a CU for rhe communal lightning. Slowly replacing them though

Am I right in thinking that the out going tails at the top are some sort of mineral insulated cable? They look about 16mm and are on roughly a 7m run to the main DB in the house which has a 100A main switch.

I recall installing those things (not that particular one) when I started circa 1970’s. You know, when there was Austin Maxis and Hillman Imps.

Am I right in thinking that the out going tails at the top are some sort of mineral insulated cable? They look about 16mm and are on roughly a 7m run to the main DB in the house which has a 100A main switch.

They could be, but the round copper sheath cable will be the clincher.

Tis a shame it is so badly butchered and poorly wired as those old switch gear were superbly made...

funny, just rewired one similar. the wylex version. builder got no power as was dissed, so fed a couple of tails to the 60A switch fuse then a double socket for temp. power so he can brew up and use his 110V toys. OK it's over fused but plugs have 13A fuses.

Yes that's mineral insulated cable, imperial size by the looks of it.
If you need to alter/reterminate it and are unsure of how to go about it I'm in the area and happy to lend a hand.

Cheers Dave. Must admit I’d like to have a play with some MIC at some point. May well post some more picks on this job. It’s an old 2 up 2 down 16 century cottage, not listed, and the wiring is a real mish mash.

That is approximately 14.52mm²

Fixed that for you. But it's exactly 0.0225 sq. ins. FWIW that was a popular size for PILC service cables.

So yes, imperial MICC. In this case, the sleeves have the imperial cable size on, but even without that, the fact that they are headed sleeves that disappear through a tufnol disc, and that the compound is green, point to the imperial era.

I agree that the earth connection using a female bush is not well done, it should have either a coupling and bush, or at least a lockring. And, of course not be completely inaccessible!

The property its at...any communal lighting. I work in social housing and round various blocks of flats etc someones meter cupboard has one of these in and its a CU for rhe communal lightning. Slowly replacing them though
Nope. Private semi detached cottage. Overhead supply to this intake which is on side of garage.

Reply to What’s this? Is it a? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock