Discuss What's this object? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Harry Worth

What's this object? Fuse board - EletriciansForums.net

Hi all - Showing my ignorance/lack of experience here. I presume the main fuse for this system lurks inside the bulbous green box which has a seal on it. I need to pull the fuse to do some work on the system. There appears to be black slime oozing from this contraption. Any advice on how I isolate this system and what am I going to find when I snip the seal (ideally not Alien 5)

Cheers, Harry

It is sealed for a reason. The DNO are the only ones allowed break the seals so contact them, even tell them what you see there and they may send someone round as a emergency.

Don’t touch it, get the DNO in to replace it. That is ancient, it will have porcelain fuse carriers that can disintegrate in your hand.

It looks like an old metal-clad cut-out and the black slime oozing from it will be the pitch from inside.

If it is what I think it is the inside will not be the standard cartridge fuse but a piece of fuse wire wrapped around two posts

Get the DNO out to check the leakage, if it is the old type they will or should change the cut-out and possibly fit you an isolation device

echo above posts. DNO job. don't even look art it funny. it's a right worm can for the unwary.

This must be a record two days running guys knowing their abilities and seeking advice AND by the looks of it ACTING on advice given
What you have is a very old cast metal cutout the fuse carrier will possibly be porcalain and shouldnt be touched due to reasons previouslty posted the black ooooozzzz is pitch and shouldnt be Ooozing this is a sign odf deterioration probably down to load it MAY also contain a small asbestos flash gaurd wadding
CALL the DNO and tell them its smelling and oozing they will come out and replace it correctly with a nice new spangly series 7 cutout and probably an isolator for you to connect your tails to

with some DNOs, if you have an isolator on site, they will fit it free. otherwise they may charge.

Thanks everyone for the information. A big help in explaining to the guy I work with as to why we won't be tackling the job until the DNO has sorted it!

I think this is a first. Everyone's in agreement.

Just to buck the trend and return things back to normal I'm going to suggest you cut the seals forthwith pull out the rubber mat, Ray-Bans and the 10KV gloves and start investigating yourself.

*Joking*

That’s weird! No arguing?

The compound running out can be for a couple of reasons. The usual being heat from loading. The back and front of the cable spreader box used to be sealed with Kearns cement, over the years this dries and falls out.
The oil used in the cable can soften the compound and force it out, this is when it gets dodgy. As the cable dries out due to oil loss it’s IR value falls, it can take years but the bang at the end of it is just as loud.
At one time the old electricity boards tried wax instead of Trinidite compound, I’ve seen the wax bubbling in terminations, not a sight to inspire confidence.

For once I’m saying “DON’T TOUCH”

I think this is a first. Everyone's in agreement.

Just to buck the trend and return things back to normal I'm going to suggest you cut the seals forthwith pull out the rubber mat, Ray-Bans and the 10KV gloves and start investigating yourself.

*Joking*

Beat me to it...

Reply to What's this object? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock