Discuss what's wrong with my megger mft1552? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hackett777

As soon as I turn my mft1552 onto ohms or irt, it constantly bleeps at me and flashes 72v. When turned to rcd test it doesn't bleep but just displays less than 100v.I bought it in January and got it calibrated then. It has only been used once since.Please help as I'm getting nowhere talking to Megger. They just insist on me sending it in at a charge of 289+vat which is a joke. They say until it's looked at they don't know which surely is rubbish. This mustn't be the first time this has happened?!?!?

are you sure it says 72 and not 7.2? if the latter, the batteries ae probably duff. also check the fuse.

1552 doesnt like less than 9v on the batteries Always carry spares specialy when doing IRn R1R2 testing chews batteries up n spits them out

Thankthanks for replies. It defintely says 72v. Changed batteries and it displays 12.6v when first turned on. It only has 500ma 250v fuse but Megger say this is not the problem. It has hardly been used in two years, warranty has just expired. Any other help?

Sounds like something is generating 72V across the red & green terminals, and, given that, the displays are normal.

If something internal has gone awry to generate such a voltage, probably one or more of the internal boards needs replacing and the charge quoted by Megger may simply be their standard charge for this.

It might be interesting to know whether the same happens if you turn it on without the internal fuse in, and if anything changes if you move the shutters over the sockets where the leads plug in.

theres a firm in stafford, think its called calibration services. they do repairs by what is required and how long it takes, rather rhan a blanket quote like megger. could be a lot less.

Forum sponsers 'Test-Meter' appear to do repairs.<br>
Get in touch with them, they might do you a discount as well as you're a Forum member.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have replaced the batteries and it now displays 12.6v Id suggest you have solved your own problem DONOT leave batteries in when not in use BTW

if you have replaced the batteries and it now displays 12.6v Id suggest you have solved your own problem DONOT leave batteries in when not in use BTW

Sorry if I've missed the point... I thought post #5 said that it was still saying 72V after the start up screen saying 12.6v, but I could be wrong.

I read it that it now said 12.6 if tis still reading 76v id try Testmeter or I wonder if MEGGER man stiil frequents the forum ?

Reply to what's wrong with my megger mft1552? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net