Discuss What's your preferred method of feeding several new items in a new Kitchen? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Argos69

I'm after the current best practice advice from you guys about an installation I'm looking at.

I've been out of the trade for quite a while and have just renewed my Part P etc and am getting ready to get stuck in.:gunsmilie:

I've been asked to look at a new Kitchen, where there is a requirement for a couple of ovens, hob, island unit stuff, a few fancy cupboard lights and some electrical odds & ends.
The consumer unit (which is up to date, as is the house Earthing) is probably a good 30m away from the kitchen, so I can see a lot of cable to feed a new ring and the other stuff as separate circuits.
Is it acceptable to run a bigger cable to a subboard, then feed the Kitchen stuff, or should I be looking to run individual cables all back to the main CU, the route involves a lot of fiddling about, so I'd like to minimise the number of cables if possible?
Setting aside volt drop issues etc , what's your preferred way, or is the subboard even a realistic option?

Like I say, it's been a while and I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Completely depends on the ratings of the ovens and hob, and the amount of other appliances used.

Sometimes a single ring will suffice with spurs above hidden sockets and a separate cooker feed.
Sometimes a separate ring is a better option to supply all under counter/built in appliances, and sometimes the cooker can be supplied from this circuit, sometimes not.
There is always the option of a "wiring centre" grid switch instead of spurs/dp switches for hidden sockets.

It really does differ each time for me. Consultation with the client is important on kitchen design as there are that many options to consider for functionality of use and aesthetics.
e.g. under cupboard lights. Do they want to switch them by reaching under or with a wall switch. If a wall switch, do they come on altogether or separately ?

Cheers guys, the Kitchen job is still very much in the "talking about it" stage, it was just the distance back to the CU made me start thinking if there was another way I should give some early consideration to.

If it's at early stages see if you can get some early ideas from customer.

i.e. Do they want a plug in fan oven or a whopping great electric only range ? Do they want a CU in the kitchen on show ? could you hide it ? would it still be accessible ? Is cost a problem, do they want the cheapest way or the best way ?

I'm having trouble believing there is 30m + between the CU and the kitchen. The floor area of this house must be bloody enormous!!.....

I'm having trouble believing there is 30m + between the CU and the kitchen. The floor area of this house must be bloody enormous!!.....

That's a bit of an estimate. I get 25 good paces from the CU (by their front door) all the way through to the new Kitchen extension. Looking at their solid floor, I also guessed I'd end up going overhead, so added 2.5m each end for that. So I reckon I'm roughly about right-ish. Yep, the house is big - I could live in their Garage! And "No" I don't know why their CU is beside the front door, when the've a Garage which would be a great place to put it!

if the garage goes back a fair way, it might be an idea to fit a 10mm 50A sub-main towards the rear of the garage, then feed kitchen from there.

if the garage goes back a fair way, it might be an idea to fit a 10mm 50A sub-main towards the rear of the garage, then feed kitchen from there.

Yes, I like the sound of that, as the Garage/workshop extends most of the way down the side of the house and would make a nice short run for the rest of the cables! Cheers for that.

Is there any method required to feed the new items in a new kitchen!! I think all the items will be placed in the place where they should be kept. Because in kitchen for every accessory the place are finalized previously.

That house must be Huge, a friend of mine in Cyprus has a house that is 15m X 10m (300 sq/m total area excluding garage). If this house has a footprint of say 25m x 10m that's around a 500 sq/m house, excluding any garage!!! lol!!

That house must be Huge, a friend of mine in Cyprus has a house that is 15m X 10m (300 sq/m total area excluding garage). If this house has a footprint of say 25m x 10m that's around a 500 sq/m house, excluding any garage!!! lol!!

Hi Eng54 - Its quite strange that my old man used to work all around the middle east, China, Saudi etc along with my uncle and several of their mates. They also now live in Cyprus (Paphos area) would be a small world if you all knew each other.

The problem with pacing distances out is leg length and stride.

If I paced out a given distance, it will come to say 20 of my paces, but if someone who is about 5ft 10" paces it out then it will be about 25 paces, and if Warwick paced it out, about 40! (He's the Dwarf actor by the way)

It is far better to use an invention called a tape measure...

The problem with pacing distances out is leg length and stride.

If I paced out a given distance, it will come to say 20 of my paces, but if someone who is about 5ft 10" paces it out then it will be about 25 paces, and if Warwick paced it out, about 40! (He's the Dwarf actor by the way)

It is far better to use an invention called a tape measure...

I refer you to Naismith's Rule...
http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/magazine/tscontent/general/naismiths-rule.html :shades_smile:

Hi Eng54 - Its quite strange that my old man used to work all around the middle east, China, Saudi etc along with my uncle and several of their mates. They also now live in Cyprus (Paphos area) would be a small world if you all knew each other.

Doubtful, unless our paths have crossed overseas. Paphos is a good couple of hours drive from Larnaca.

Could never understand why retired British expats chose Paphos, the place is full of quite steep hills. Okay i suppose when you're in late 50's early 60's, but not so clever as you get older. easy enough to get down a hill to collect the morning paper and have a coffee or beer at the local cafe, but getting back up the hill could well kill you!! lol!!!

Doubtful, unless our paths have crossed overseas. Paphos is a good couple of hours drive from Larnaca.

Could never understand why retired British expats chose Paphos, the place is full of quite steep hills. Okay i suppose when you're in late 50's early 60's, but not so clever as you get older. easy enough to get down a hill to collect the morning paper and have a coffee or beer at the local cafe, but getting back up the hill could well kill you!! lol!!!

Your right there although my parents are quite close to the local village square so not to bad for them. I don't visit all that often, as you say to many Brits, and to be honest most of them came from my town here so its not even like going on holiday. Nice weather but prices are high nowadays, and flights are just extortionate.

Your right there although my parents are quite close to the local village square so not to bad for them. I don't visit all that often, as you say to many Brits, and to be honest most of them came from my town here so its not even like going on holiday. Nice weather but prices are high nowadays, and flights are just extortionate.

I noticed that the last time i was over, but i guess it's the same for Europe as whole these day's. You can get cheap fares, (i'm always checking airfares) but they tend to be a lot fewer than in the past. One of the biggest factors there, is the new private company that built and renovated the two airports (Larnaca and Paphos) the landing and departure fee's have more than tripled from what they were.... The crazy thing about the airfares is that for another £50 (and sometimes less) you can get a return flight to Hong Kong!!! Work that one out?? lol!!

I noticed that the last time i was over, but i guess it's the same for Europe as whole these day's. You can get cheap fares, (i'm always checking airfares) but they tend to be a lot fewer than in the past. One of the biggest factors there, is the new private company that built and renovated the two airports (Larnaca and Paphos) the landing and departure fee's have more than tripled from what they were.... The crazy thing about the airfares is that for another £50 (and sometimes less) you can get a return flight to Hong Kong!!! Work that one out?? lol!!

I'm sure I remember the first time I went you had to pay the customs officer £10 or something along them lines to let you in, it was a while back though. I missed a trick with that one, my sister and brother-in-law lived in Hong Kong for 3 years and kept asking me to visit but just never got round to it, wish I had now its meant to very nice, hasn't changed much since it changed over either, apparently.

Reply to What's your preferred method of feeding several new items in a new Kitchen? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock