Discuss When connected to the fan voltage at connectors is 20v when disconnect from fan voltage is 220v. This down to the capacitor? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm struggling to make sense of that - could you re word it a bit.

It's most likely that you are measuring a ghost voltage an dthere is in fact no voltage there at all, what tester are you using?

It's most likely that you are measuring a ghost voltage an dthere is in fact no voltage there at all, what tester are you using?
I did think this however, i used my fluke mft and my normal martindale voltage tester, with proving unit. It was certainly live.
[automerge]1578158479[/automerge]
I'm struggling to make sense of that - could you re word it a bit.
So i was called to a fan not working, it was an inline fan. I could easily access it so I just tested if there was voltage. In the exsiting connections i tested it and it read 20v AC. I thought it was strange thought the 20v might be off the capacitor (its an old fan) so i disconnected the feed and retested it, expecting 0v but actually had 220v AC. Ive recommended changing the fan in question but wonder if its something else

So i was called to a fan not working, it was an inline fan. I could easily access it so I just tested if there was voltage. In the exsiting connections i tested it and it read 20v AC. I thought it was strange thought the 20v might be off the capacitor (its an old fan) so i disconnected the feed and retested it, expecting 0v but actually had 220v AC. Ive recommended changing the fan in question but wonder if its something else

How would you get 20VAC from a capacitor?
Why did you recommend changing the fan? Nothing you've told us suggests that the fan is faulty as far as I can see.

A voltage which is present when there is no load but disappears as soon as a load is applied suggests that you have a problem with the supply, not the load.
I would suspect a loose connection somewhere in the supply circuit.

How would you get 20VAC from a capacitor?
Why did you recommend changing the fan? Nothing you've told us suggests that the fan is faulty as far as I can see.

A voltage which is present when there is no load but disappears as soon as a load is applied suggests that you have a problem with the supply, not the load.
I would suspect a loose connection somewhere in the supply circuit.
But us immediately rectified once disconnection from the device?

But us immediately rectified once disconnection from the device?

No it isn't rectified once the load is disconnected, you are just reading the open circuit voltage with the load disconnected.
With the fan connected you have a series circuit of the what I suspect is a high resistance connection and the load. So if the open circuit voltage is 220V and the closed circuit voltage across the fan is 20V then voltage across the high reisistance connection is 200V.

No it isn't rectified once the load is disconnected, you are just reading the open circuit voltage with the load disconnected.
With the fan connected you have a series circuit of the what I suspect is a high resistance connection and the load. So if the open circuit voltage is 220V and the closed circuit voltage across the fan is 20V then voltage across the high reisistance connection is 200V.
Nice one, il take the fan but check all connections as they are accessible. Thanks

as davesparkssays. a poor connection will give you volts on no load as there is no voltage drop. once load is connected and tries to draw current, the VD across the high resistance connection will reduce the voltage at the load. a low impedance meter liks a AVO 8 might show the low voltage on no load.

i would be tracing the live and N back through each of the joints and switches.
best guess is that it is the fan isolator switch.

measure the voltage across each switch pole i.e. live in to live out then N in to N out. whilst the fan is connected.
i expect you will find your missing 200v hiding in a switch somewhere!!

Reply to When connected to the fan voltage at connectors is 20v when disconnect from fan voltage is 220v. This down to the capacitor? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock