Discuss When did sockets require RCD protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can someone tell me when it became a requirement for sockets (domestic property, use by ordinary persons) to have RCD protection. Or rather, a flat completed (first sold) in Sep 2007, with no RCD protection for anything - would that have complied at the time.

I don't have any earlier regs. that 17th to check myself.

Also depends on which edition it was designed to.

I can remember as far back to around 2000 but at least one socket capable of being used for an extension lead outside normally by the front / back door needed an RCD , even the first floor flat normally had one by an accessible window likely to have an extension lead strung out ofor at the head of the stairs.
Also for some reason I am sure a combined socket cooker switch needed one as well, but can't for the life of me think why?

was back in 16th, 1991 onwards. so in 2007, 17th, totally non-compliant. even cables in walls <50mm deep needed RCD then.

was back in 16th, 1991 onwards. so in 2007, 17th, totally non-compliant. even cables in walls <50mm deep needed RCD then.
I'm pretty sure that RCD protection was only require on socket outlets to be used outdoors back in 1991 and there was no requirement for RCD protection for cables less than 50mm deep in a wall I'm sure that came much later I think it was when the 17th came out in 2008

cables in walls came in with 17th, think i was incorrect as i thought 17th was 2005.senile dementia starting, need another beer.

As above, the 16th Edition did not require it (other than for socket-outlets which might reasonably be expected to supply equipment outdoors). Often this was an SRCD next to the door. The 17th Edition mandated it for socket-outlets generally (although many already put all socket-outlets on the RCD whilst still on the 16th Edition).

I'm somewhat confused as to the relevance though. We are working to the 18th Edition now.

Thanks for all the replies, I concluded the installation did comply at the time.

I'm somewhat confused as to the relevance though. We are working to the 18th Edition now.

The relevance is the owner is interested to know if what she bought some years ago did comply with the regulations when built; as above, it seems it did.

Can someone tell me when it became a requirement for sockets (domestic property, use by ordinary persons) to have RCD protection. Or rather, a flat completed (first sold) in Sep 2007, with no RCD protection for anything - would that have complied at the time.

I don't have any earlier regs. that 17th to check myself.

Funny this has come up on here today. I was at my old mans and noticed his sockets and outside cabling is on the non rcd side. He said it was done in 1993 so I went searching for when rcd protection was initiated. Hes now aware and is getting it sorted.

My take on this is, if it's a first floor flat or higher it would not have required rcd protection at the time. A ground floor flat would have required rcd protection to all sockets. This is how I worked at the time; any ground floor socket was capable of supplying an item that will be used outside.

Looking at this thread it struck me that a great sticky thread would be a timeline of wiring regs and, more importantly; what editions brought in what changes.

Closest I could find is (I believe) a Wikipedia type page listing release dates but nothing really beyond that.

Reply to When did sockets require RCD protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock