Discuss RCD Tripping out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Do you mean R1+R2, or the ring end-end r1, r2, rN sort of thing?

Sound like you still have loads on the circuit, so L-E link for your R1+R2 test is also linking N-E and tripping a common RCD?

"on linking out the circuit breaker for the circuit to earth to do the test "

Why are you linking the breaker? I advise against it.

Remove all conductors for that circuit prior to testing and usually you`ll have 6 conductors on a plain ring or 9 conductors if a spur is at the origin.
Then you can perform r1 + r2 to calculate R1 + R2 (of the ring itself) and do the "fig 8" test if appropriate too to find bridges and spurs to correct R1 + R2 values.

Hope that helps

confused. do you mean r1,r2, etc., or R1,R2, etc., and if so why attempting with circuits energised. these are dead tests.

OP has been back, but not replied.

He might be using my last resort method if the board is a complete rats nest. Taking live out of breaker, putting it in earth bar. Then measuring R1+R2 the other end. Any loads can then trip rcd via the still connected neutral, so taking N out is important.
This method doesn't prove cpc continuity as parallel earth paths may exist.
In short, as said above, removing all conductors is best.

"on linking out the circuit breaker for the circuit to earth to do the test "

Why are you linking the breaker? I advise against it.

Remove all conductors for that circuit prior to testing and usually you`ll have 6 conductors on a plain ring or 9 conductors if a spur is at the origin.
Then you can perform r1 + r2 to calculate R1 + R2 (of the ring itself) and do the "fig 8" test if appropriate too to find bridges and spurs to correct R1 + R2 values.

Hope that helps
Sorry its not as
Do you mean R1+R2, or the ring end-end r1, r2, rN sort of thing?

Sound like you still have loads on the circuit, so L-E link for your R1+R2 test is also linking N-E and tripping
He might be using my last resort method if the board is a complete rats nest. Taking live out of breaker, putting it in earth bar. Then measuring R1+R2 the other end. Any loads can then trip rcd via the still connected neutral, so taking N out is important.
This method doesn't prove cpc continuity as parallel earth paths may exist.
In short, as said above, removing all conductors is best.
It's a lighting circuit

Sorry it's a new lighting circuit

Not live circuit breaker down just linking out at the breaker so I can do a r1 r2 continuity test at the light fittings
No worries.
To get any more help (if you still need any) you need to describe exactly where you had all three conductors connected in the consumer unit.
Was it live and earth in the top of the breaker, and neutral connected to the neutral bar.
Or a link from the top of the breaker to the earthing bar?

I personally prefer testing the circuit before connecting anything to the consumer unit - I can keep a clearer mind that way!

No worries.
To get any more help (if you still need any) you need to describe exactly where you had all three conductors connected in the consumer unit.
Was it live and earth in the top of the breaker, and neutral connected to the neutral bar.
Or a link from the top of the breaker to the earthing bar?

I personally prefer testing the circuit before connecting anything to the consumer unit - I can keep a clearer mind that way!
Thanks was a link from the earth bar to the circuit breaker but the neutral was still connected do the same method for all other radial circuits example smoke alarms radial sockets cooker etc. And never have a problem? Thanks again

Thanks was a link from the earth bar to the circuit breaker but the neutral was still connected do the same method for all other radial circuits example smoke alarms radial sockets cooker etc. And never have a problem? Thanks again
I think @pc1966 nailed it in the very first reply. Basically there must be something connected in the circuit.
If you do a continuity test between L and N and it isn't infinity then that will prove it.
There is then a path from the consumer unit, down the Neutral conductor, through the lamp, back down the live, to the earthing bar.
That will cause an RCD to trip as not all of the return current from other circuits is passing back through the RCD so it sees an imbalance.

When testing other types of circuits you probably have sockets turned off, cooker turned off, maybe smoke heads removed, basically no Live to Neutral path.

In general I don't like this test method as it's better to ensure you are only testing one earth, and therefore verifying earth continuity, and not getting a false result from any other earth paths (e.g. gas bonding on a boiler, or supplementary bonding in a bathroom etc.). So I prefer to remove the earth from the earthing bar for the test.
Hope that helps a bit.

I think @pc1966 nailed it in the very first reply. Basically there must be something connected in the circuit.
If you do a continuity test between L and N and it isn't infinity then that will prove it.
There is then a path from the consumer unit, down the Neutral conductor, through the lamp, back down the live, to the earthing bar.
That will cause an RCD to trip as not all of the return current from other circuits is passing back through the RCD so it sees an imbalance.

When testing other types of circuits you probably have sockets turned off, cooker turned off, maybe smoke heads removed, basically no Live to Neutral path.

In general I don't like this test method as it's better to ensure you are only testing one earth, and therefore verifying earth continuity, and not getting a false result from any other earth paths (e.g. gas bonding on a boiler, or supplementary bonding in a bathroom etc.). So I prefer to remove the earth from the earthing bar for the test.
Hope that helps a bit.
That's great thanks very much for your quick reply ?

That's great thanks very much for your quick reply ?
Seems I`m in error.
Looks like I took the Mention of R1 + R2 and assumed a ring wheras it was a radial. Silly me.
However, ring or radial, you must completely disconnect to test properly. However if you want to keep the cpc in the earth bar and temporary park the L conductor there too then, so long as there are no para earths skewing the readings, then fine. I think easier to have them all disconnected for these tests though and just link them with chock blocks or wagos etc to to the test measurements

Seems I`m in error.
Looks like I took the Mention of R1 + R2 and assumed a ring wheras it was a radial. Silly me.
However, ring or radial, you must completely disconnect to test properly. However if you want to keep the cpc in the earth bar and temporary park the L conductor there too then, so long as there are no para earths skewing the readings, then fine. I think easier to have them all disconnected for these tests though and just link them with chock blocks or wagos etc to to the test measurements
Thanks very much for the advice very much appreciated ?

Reply to RCD Tripping out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock