Discuss When installs dont go to plan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I had a job for a friend. Install 6 cctv cameras. I ordered the correct size clips and planned the position of the cameras. The cameras where mounted on JB boxes which meant I could keep the connections away from the elements.

All cables where ran to one corner if the house and then into a Schneider JB. This is where it went wrong.

I didn't realise that all the knock outs where 25mm. I didn't have any 25mm glands so I had to go and get some.

Managed to get some and upon screwing them in it was obvious the moulding on the inside would not allow 2 25mm glands next to each other.

I spent the next 2 hours cutting away at the inside of the box, shaving the glands down.....just trying to.make it work.

It really frustrated me and its a lesson to take more notice of how the install which pan out before attempting to install

In hindsight iv thought of at least 2 ways I could have done it better on the drive home. I agree, it's all a learning curve. I know I wont repeat the same mistakes, although the fact that a box with 25mm knockouts cannot take 25mm glands is something I could have never predicted.

It's been a long day.

had several instances where knockouts on boxes take the appropriate glands, but are too close to the edge to fit locknuts. bad design. a few times i've had to use locking rings ( as with conduit) to get a secure fixing.

I don't understand why a box was needed at all. Cables should just terminate straight into the back of the NVR/DVR?
he's talking about the camera end where the camera has short tails woth plugs on the ends.

I don't understand why a box was needed at all. Cables should just terminate straight into the back of the NVR/DVR?

The box was needed to enable all 6 camera cables to be fed through into the corner room of the property. Cant really just drill a hole and push them through. Plus alot of the access cables could be lost in the box.

Thing with those camera cables is that the ends are quite large. So eventually I'll have 5 cables through and then have to try and get the last through.

It's very rare that I ever use the cables that come with Cctv kits! I usually use shotgun cable or cat5 and put your own ends on, makes life soooo much easier.

Well worth learning, probably essential for systems with more than a couple of cameras. Once you have the stripping and crimping tools it's really easy. I prefer using POE IP cameras as they are so easy to install, but I've yet to convince the company I work for to use them and we are still messing around with HD TVI cameras which are a lot more work to install.

Thankyou. I'll certainly look at this for any further cctv installs I do.

Installing the cameras and routing cables was a doddle. Actually getting those chunky connectors through glands and the doubke skin wall was less friendly

Thankyou. I'll certainly look at this for any further cctv installs I do.

Installing the cameras and routing cables was a doddle. Actually getting those chunky connectors through glands and the doubke skin wall was less friendly
get some coax and some BNCs and have a practice.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTbLfBDZ5ZM

[automerge]1580647670[/automerge]
watching that video, i think he left too much bare conductor behind the centre pin and too little screen under the sleeve. but each has his own method.

Last edited:
It's very rare that I ever use the cables that come with Cctv kits! I usually use shotgun cable or cat5 and put your own ends on, makes life soooo much easier.
I think that's why the post is confusing me because I've always done this also.

It's well worth learning how to do the ends.

It’s only camera cable. Just twist the ends together and wrap in tape. :p

sorry. Wrong forum. I thought this was the “bodge it and scarper” site.;):eek:

Seen that so often its not even funny anymore, I have even seen the bare ends just twisted and left flapping the wind....

This is how we all learn and gain experience mate,and as time goes by snags are overcome with less effort and stress. You might have been better off with an ordinary IP65 adaptable box which can be drilled for your choice of gland size and positions but we all get unexpected problems, I tend to swear quite a lot. :grinning:
Had a camera job with a friend helping,who said mount them on w/p boxes like your method.I said no,too easy to steal,so I screwed them to the walls with boxes at the side.All the cameras got stolen anyway.:rolleyes:

Reply to When installs dont go to plan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net