Discuss When old phase colours are used in socket circuits... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would consider swapping Black for Blue
Maybe in certain circumstances. However I had to remove a section of the ring and re-instate it as the wall was being made thicker with a false wall. It would have meant rewiring the whole ring which I don't think the client would pay for.

Where ever you work in these set of buildings they use the phase colours so you get the old Red Yellow Blue as line in the same unit it can be a bit crazy sometimes. If you went on site any where and started work before that you would hopefully ask for any certs for the area you are going to work in and you would see phase colours are being used in these units. To be honest if you could not figure out what was going on then you should not be working on it. I wonder what people who have only worked with new colours would make of it. I am not completely convinced that a bit of brown dabbed onto the blue would make things clear it may cause more confusion than it clears as you are departing from a pattern on that circuit but of course as you all know I am very open minded.

I don't think it was ever correct to have single phase circuits wired in phase colours? So install was never right. Personally I'd have have sleeved/taped the conductors to current colours in all sockets worked at.

@Risteard will know better but I think it is a requirement in South of Ireland for single phase circuits to be identified in phase colour on a 3 phase install?

I do agree I should have sleeved it actually. And will do so in the future. I am sitting on the bottom step of the stairs (the naughty step) having a steel bottom and playing wow.

What is funny about it
The further level of confusion that brings about as that phase colour (black) is the new yellow. Combine that with brown and blue being the new red and black of the older cables which are in fact blue and black in this instance it begins to sound like that scene in a film where they are talking about the "potion in the lotion" and the "chalice in the palace" and so on. Can't quite remember the film.

There should be clarity on these changes of colours to make all aware of what goes where
I posted this a few years ago :)

In older times,the 3 live conductors were coloured Red ,White, Blue, the Black was neutral and a bare earth
These then changed to Red Yellow Blue,it was much the same but the White had been replaced by Yellow with the Black hanging on to its neutral tag

As we are aware,yet another change means at present, a live may now be Brown, Black or Grey and the Blue neutral (or the neutral could even be a Grey that is over sleeved as Blue)
This Blue has replaced the Black in older systems for single phase, however, it remains as a live for 3 phase with those older systems, not forgetting the Green/Yellow which as superseded the Green

In order not to complicate the matter. but for reference, the bare earth that was Green and is now Green/Yellow, may in fact be Cream if you use a lot of IT eqipment

Other colours are not precluded, as long as coloured identification is used unless its single core which must be green/yellow

So put concisely
The live may be Brown, Red, White, Black, Grey, Yellow or Blue
The neutral may be Black,Blue or even Grey:)

However, colours for central heating control systems may be unfamiliar to some ;)

Be familiar with this information before attempting electrical work :(

I don't think it was ever correct to have single phase circuits wired in phase colours? So install was never right. Personally I'd have have sleeved/taped the conductors to current colours in all sockets worked at.

@Risteard will know better but I think it is a requirement in South of Ireland for single phase circuits to be identified in phase colour on a 3 phase install?
A lot of people think that. Certainly it is permissible to install with phase colours and perhaps generally preferred or seen as good practise. It's easy to achieve if the installation is wired in singles.

If I come across an old red/black or red/yellow/blue switch cable that isn't sleeved I'll use a bit of red sleeving on the black/yellow/blue just to keep it authentic. :)

Reply to When old phase colours are used in socket circuits... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock