Discuss When to issue a danger notification? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

n180

-
Reaction score
When working on a site if you see a c1 or c2 condition, can you issue a danger notification? Or is it only for c1 situations?

Reason i'm asking is if you spot something whilst working on site and point it out to the customer, and they don't want to pay to get it fixed, you'd obviously want to cover your own back in writing to show you've pointed it out to them.

Thanks in advance.

I can’t see how a C2 could be that dangerous, that you think a danger notice could apply.

If you need to CYA, then write the details on your invoice ....

Maybe a c2 won't be that dangerous, but it's always safer for the customer to get it rectified. And if they are in 2 minds, something like a danger notification would only encourage them to get it rectified as they'll probably understand better the potential danger with a written "danger notification".

But your're right, I wouldn't really bother with it on a C2, it's probably enough just to put it on the invoice.

I did a danger notification for a ring that was pulling 56A and they were complaining of frequent tripping and the RCBO burning out but did not want to split down the circuit.

I did a danger notification for a ring that was pulling 56A and they were complaining of frequent tripping and the RCBO burning out but did not want to split down the circuit.
what's wrong with a 2" nail for a fuse? :hibiscus::hibiscus::hibiscus:

I would not issue a danger notice to anything that is captured within an EICR. The EICR is clear to what the dangers are for each code.

I would only issue a danger notice if I saw something that I thought the customer should be aware of whilst working like exposed parts.

I would not issue a danger notice to anything that is captured within an EICR. The EICR is clear to what the dangers are for each code.

A sensible answer at last.
Surely putting C1 on an EICR tells the customer how dangerous it as and you are also covered as you have notified them of the dangers.
The customer is allowed to get another electrician in to sort out the problems, if they want.

Obviously if your doing an eicr there's no need for a danger notice.

My question had nothing to do with an eicr though.

I was just generally saying if you're doing some work on a site and you notice a c1 or c2 type condition, unrelated to the job you're doing, and it poses some sort of danger, in that situation would you give a danger notification.

As a competent person you would have a duty of care to bring something like that to the owner (the DUTY Holder under the EAWR). Although the various official publications suggest that a dangerous situation should be left safe, the legal responsibility is on the Duty Holder not the electrician to instruct this work, or even to leave undone.

There have been various heated debates on whether or not a disconnection or other means of making safe should be made, however the decision does not rest with the electrician. All you have to do is to demonstrate that you have brought the issue to the notice of the Duty Holder, hence the danger notice is a very useful tool.

Do not understand the reasons for that process not being implemented under BS7671.

Bs7671makes absolutely no referendum to dangerous notifications

Sounds more like something a business would create to drum up work ?

An immediately dangerous situation as far as bs7671 territory goes is generally going to be exposed live parts readily able to be touched by accident or by someone who doesn't know better,
Or arcing/fire in progress or something of that magnitude.
I'd like to think that any of us wouldn't be reaching for the danger notices on discovering a real immediate danger, instead actually doing something about it at least temporarily.

Or arcing/fire in progress or something of that magnitude.
I'd like to think that any of us wouldn't be reaching for the danger notices on discovering a real immediate danger, instead actually doing something about it at least temporarily.

Like videoing it for YouTube you mean? :)

Reply to When to issue a danger notification? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock