Discuss Where can I find a wiring diagram for 3 way switches to control multiple outlets between them. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am wiring 2 outlets in the ceiling to control 2 plug-in florescent shop lights in my garage. The 3 ways are at each side of the garage at the 2 entry doors. The way I have it wired right now, both lights come on at either switch but turn off if either is unplugged. I would like both outlets to work individually if either light is unplugged. Also one of the lights is always dim if all bulbs are installed but they all work individually at another outlet. Not sure if this is related, but I ran out of 14ga wire and ran a small length of 12ga between the two outlets about 12 feet. Could this cause the flickering of the lights? I have installed 3 way switches with lights but not outlets.
This should be very simple if I can find a wiring diagram.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Terry

I am wiring 2 outlets in the ceiling to control 2 plug-in florescent shop lights in my garage. The 3 ways are at each side of the garage at the 2 entry doors. The way I have it wired right now, both lights come on at either switch but turn off if either is unplugged. I would like both outlets to work individually if either light is unplugged. Also one of the lights is always dim if all bulbs are installed but they all work individually at another outlet. Not sure if this is related, but I ran out of 14ga wire and ran a small length of 12ga between the two outlets about 12 feet. Could this cause the flickering of the lights? I have installed 3 way switches with lights but not outlets.
This should be very simple if I can find a wiring diagram.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Terry
My friend you have your receptacles wired wrong and if you unplug a light and your other lights go out then yes you have problems.

Attachments

• FCF47D2D-96CF-48E4-A5C0-FE3FF014E9AF.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 9
My friend you have your receptacles wired wrong and if you unplug a light and your other lights go out then yes you have problems.
I studied my diagram again and realized I had a couple of wires reversed so it now worked as expected. Thank you for pointing that out. I may have had the polarity reversed.

I may have had the polarity reversed.

Your problem seems to have been that the outlets were wires in series instead of parallel. Hence neither outlet received the correct voltage.

Reply to Where can I find a wiring diagram for 3 way switches to control multiple outlets between them. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net