Discuss Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm New to this forum and am hoping to obtain some advise if possible please?
I have a situation where a megaflow system is installed in the Attic of a semi detached property.

The Immersion heater switch has been installed by someone in the airing cupboard which sites at the end of the bath tub ( and has been disconnected from the Consumer Unit).

It has been wired with 2.5 T&E up to the isolation switch and then from the switch it is connected via flex cable to the Immersion heater.

This means that the Switch is inside Zone 1 as the bathroom does not extend to 3 meters in length where the switch can be installed.

Where Can I re-allocate the Switch for the Immersion heater?
Can it be installed on the outside of the bathroom above the door besides the extractor fan Isolator switch?

Will I also need to re-route the cabling for the Immersion heater as it is in plastic conduit passing Zone 1 as attached on the picture?

The upstairs lighting is also routed via plastic conduit - will I need to remove all the wiring from this location and reroute it from outside Zone 2 or the bathroom altogether?

Thanks,
K

Attachments

• Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch Immersion-heater-switch1 - EletriciansForums.net
    Immersion-heater-switch1.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 28
It’s only sockets that follow the 3 meter rule from a bath, if its in a cupboard i doubt its in zone 1. To answer your question the new switch should be near the immersion , if that’s not possible it should be marked as immersion isolator .

Zone 1 is the area directly above the bath, and zone 2 only extends to 600mm from the edges of that, so the switch in the airing cupboard is almost certainly acceptable as far as zones are concerned.
There should be a switch adjacent to the cylinder for isolation purposes when working on it, but this doesn't have to be the only switch controlling it. A switch in a more accessible position can be used to switch the heater on an off, and the one in the airing cupboard can be retained for this, although probably not the most convenient position.

If it were me I would put the new switch in the loft somewhere near to the megaflow
Hi, Dustydazzler
Thanks for the reply. I can Install a switch in the Attic but the only problem is if the Boiler ever packed up, I would then need to get a ladder to go into the Attic to turn on the immersion switch and then switch it off again which is an inconvenience.

It’s only sockets that follow the 3 meter rule from a bath, if its in a cupboard i doubt its in zone 1. To answer your question the new switch should be near the immersion , if that’s not possible it should be marked as immersion isolator .
Hi newfutile,
Thanks for the update. I can install the switch in the attic, however the only issue is that I will need to get a loft ladder to go up and down to turn the switch On & OFF when the boiler stops working and when I need to use the immersion heater switch.
As you can see the switch has an LED and is marked up as Water Heater.
Will this be acceptable within the scope of BS7671:2018 or do I need to have a lock installed as well on the cupboard?

Attachments

• Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard-switch - EletriciansForums.net
    Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard-switch.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 19
  • Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard - EletriciansForums.net
    Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 18
Zone 1 is the area directly above the bath, and zone 2 only extends to 600mm from the edges of that, so the switch in the airing cupboard is almost certainly acceptable as far as zones are concerned.
There should be a switch adjacent to the cylinder for isolation purposes when working on it, but this doesn't have to be the only switch controlling it. A switch in a more accessible position can be used to switch the heater on an off, and the one in the airing cupboard can be retained for this, although probably not the most convenient position.
Hi Brianmooore,
Thanks for the update on this subject. Upon measuring this it seems like the switch is less than 600mm from the wall see picture attached - its actually 470mm from the end of the bath tub.
I can factor in adding an isolation switch for servicing purposes.
Are you sure the switch can be retained in the airing cupboard. If I were to move the switch where could I move it to? outside the bathroom above the door?
The switch has a label on it Water Heater as shown.
The flex run is 5 meters from the load side to the immersion mega flow system.

Would it also be possible to comment on the other cables passing through the airing cupboard as well. The lighting feed for the upstairs lights pass through the airing cupboard but this is enclosed in conduit as shown on the picture

Attachments

• Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard - EletriciansForums.net
    Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard-switch - EletriciansForums.net
    Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard-switch.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 15
  • Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard-pipes - EletriciansForums.net
    Immersion-heater-airing-cupboard-pipes.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi Brianmooore,
Thanks for the update on this subject. Upon measuring this it seems like the switch is less than 600mm from the wall see picture attached - its actually 470mm from the end of the bath tub.
That's is, nt how the 600mm for zone 2 is designed to be measured. It, s not how the crow flies. It does, nt go around doors or through walls. Its 600 mm in an outwards unobstructed direction from the edges of Bath or shower.
Secondly, bearing in mind that the perceived danger to switches in the bathroom is from condensation resulting from moist air, I don, t see that arising in the hot press. For those reasons I would leave it where it is.
Are you sure the switch can be retained in the airing cupboard.

I have a 13A socket in my own house which is about 400mm from the edge of the bath, and is within regs.
The corner of the bath comes right up to the door (architrave is carved around it), and immediately outside of the bathroom door, in the passage, is a switch socket.

Hi Brianmooore,
I can factor in adding an isolation switch for servicing purposes.
Are you sure the switch can be retained in the airing cupboard. If I were to move the switch where could I move it to? outside the bathroom above the door?
The switch has a label on it Water Heater as shown.
The flex run is 5 meters from the load side to the immersion mega flow system.

Would it also be possible to comment on the other cables passing through the airing cupboard as well. The lighting feed for the upstairs lights pass through the airing cupboard but this is enclosed in conduit as shown on the picture
The flex cable from the load side to the Megaflow just about reached and its maximum length of 5 meters. Is this the maximum length the flex is meant to be.

That's is, nt how the 600mm for zone 2 is designed to be measured. It, s not how the crow flies. It does, nt go around doors or through walls. Its 600 mm in an outwards unobstructed direction from the edges of Bath or shower.
Secondly, bearing in mind that the perceived danger to switches in the bathroom is from condensation resulting from moist air, I don, t see that arising in the hot press. For those reasons I would leave it where it is.
Thanks for the advice

Reply to Where can I Install an Immersion heater Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock