Discuss where do I stand.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ranger

here goes the cupboard where my DB is is a disgrace to be honest it's not going to kill anyone but i can no longer put up with it! (not done by me BTW)
So it's coming out and I'll re do it as I see fit
No offence to anyone that does domestic installs but it's just not me I don't do them, but i'm begrudged paying someone a job I can quite happily do and is within my comfort zone. I'm fully qualified 2391 passed etc
but here's the hang up as I show little interest in domestic's this means i also show little interest in part P so I'm not part P registered I have no interest in being part P registered.

where do i stand?

kind regards

Ring up your LABC, explain the situation and that you're fully qualified and will send them copies of certs and test results if they want, see what they say. Chances are that unless you get some right jobs-worth then they may not be interested at all and just say to get on and do it.

If you notify Bournemouth LABC you get charged £2000 for a local sparks to come out and have a look at your install. :lol: Silly Silly money. No wonder there a so many c^ap house installs round the BH post code.

if i were you, i would just carry out the work, and then wait for somebody to try and take you to court, at which point you will baffle the judge with electrical principles, and common sense will prevail.
PS, i doubt anybody would be taken to court, even if the council found out.

To be honest, this is a massive failing with part P. Even if you did pay the council, they would ask for a copy of your certs, and that would be it. so there wouldnt be any difference anyway.

if i were you, i would just carry out the work, and then wait for somebody to try and take you to court, at which point you will baffle the judge with electrical principles, and common sense will prevail.
PS, i doubt anybody would be taken to court, even if the council found out.

To be honest, this is a massive failing with part P. Even if you did pay the council, they would ask for a copy of your certs, and that would be it. so there wouldnt be any difference anyway.

To be honest John I had it in my head to go down the 2 fingers route! It's a stupid situation brought upon by stupid people who gave stupid unqualified people more rights than the qualified people

im serious mate. id like to see if the council would ever take me to court for working on my own or families houses. i doubt it. theyd realise im a competent qualified electrician, and think it wasnt worth the bother.
I hope that there is a test case at some point, where a decent spark wins, so that it becomes law, that qualifed tradesmen can work on their own homes.

i always thought if you did work in your own home you didn't have to be anything .

you don't. but technically you should inform LABC beforehand and pay an exhorbitant fee for them to inspect the work.

they should not charge anything according to the part p document. read section 1.26

Last edited:
they should not charge anything according to the part p document.

Please - expand! Am intrigued now. I've only read the thin little highlight copy that we all waive around, not the full thing.

download the document from planning portal. section 1.26 says that the LABC can inspect ( or get 3rd party inspection) at their expense

Cheers for that Tel, some interesting reading that I'd never done!! Of particular interest is this, which I never knew either:

Inspection and testing of non-notifiable work

Non-notifiable electrical installation work must also be carried out in accordance with the requirements of BS 7671:2001 or an equivalent standard. However, it is not necessary for the work to be checked by a building control body or alternatively carried out by an installer registered with a Part P competent person self-certification scheme.

Local authorities, however, can take enforcement action if non-notifiable work – for example electrical work which is part of a wider project – is found to be unsafe and non-compliant.

Those qualified to complete BS 7671 installation certificates who carry out non- notifiable work should issue the appropriate electrical installation certificate for all but the simplest of like-for-like replacements. DIYers may wish to employ a qualified third party to carry out inspection and testing of non-notifiable work to make sure it is safe. The qualified person need not necessarily be registered with a Part P competent person scheme self-certification scheme but, as required by BS 7671, must be qualified in respect of the inspection and testing of an installation.

download the document from planning portal. section 1.26 says that the LABC can inspect ( or get 3rd party inspection) at their expense

Just been looking into that, I think that is only if you have notified up front and payed up.

Reply to where do I stand.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock