Discuss Where do I start in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

greatguy781

I have decided on a change of career and have looked with serious consideration at www.tradeskills4u.com as a way of starting my way of becoming an electrician.
Is there any advice or are there any books i can read in order to give myself a head start please. I have no electrical knowledge. I can change a plug and thats about it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello,
I've just embarked on a similar route, so here's some advice:
Make absolutely clear it is the route for you.
The courses wherever they are are expensive if you are paying with your own money.
I have done 2381 and the 2391 courses. These seem to be the most recognised/valued qualifications. To be honest you can get by without the tuition for 2381. It helps focus on what you need to know - which is a good knowledge of the 7671 16th edition wiring regulations. This is changing in the new year. I would say that it is possible to pass
this without tuition. The tuition helps by having other people alongside you who you can learn off and ask questions of. The 2391 testing and inspection exam is mouch tougher and recommended for experienced people only. I agree with that because if you are doing testing regularly, you remember the ways of doing all of the tests. That is only half of the knowledge needed though, so you really do need to know and understand the basics very well. My observations on publications are as follows.
BS 7671 16th edtition wiring regulations - to be replaced in January

Hi Before you splash out on training, why not try to get employment as an electricians mate, you'll learn more by working with an experienced sparks on real jobs, than in a metre square cubicle at a training centre only working with pvc twin and gaining a pretty worthless limited scope level 2 (only level 3 is recognised within the industry) Once in work then investigate qualifications like 2382 (replacement next year for 2381).

I don't know what your area of expertise is at present maybe IT or Paperwork? most sparkies hate this aspect, If you are strong in these areas, you could offer to take some of the hassle away from him in return for his knowledge and experience......just a thought

Hello,
I've just embarked on a similar route, so here's some advice:
Make absolutely clear it is the route for you.
The courses wherever they are are expensive if you are paying with your own money.
I have done 2381 and the 2391 courses. These seem to be the most recognised/valued qualifications. To be honest you can get by without the tuition for 2381. It helps focus on what you need to know - which is a good knowledge of the 7671 16th edition wiring regulations. This is changing in the new year. I would say that it is possible to pass
this without tuition. The tuition helps by having other people alongside you who you can learn off and ask questions of. The 2391 testing and inspection exam is mouch tougher and recommended for experienced people only. I agree with that because if you are doing testing regularly, you remember the ways of doing all of the tests. That is only half of the knowledge needed though, so you really do need to know and understand the basics very well. My observations on publications are as follows.
BS 7671 16th edtition wiring regulations - to be replaced in January

Thanks for your reply, Where did you do your 2381 & 2391 courses? I have no knowledge whatsoever of electrics so I couldn't do anythign without tuition or knowledge first. I work in an office, mainly accounts and admin, have never worked outside...a penpusher! Are there courses or books i can download or buy as a starter?

Hi Before you splash out on training, why not try to get employment as an electricians mate, you'll learn more by working with an experienced sparks on real jobs, than in a metre square cubicle at a training centre only working with pvc twin and gaining a pretty worthless limited scope level 2 (only level 3 is recognised within the industry) Once in work then investigate qualifications like 2382 (replacement next year for 2381).

I don't know what your area of expertise is at present maybe IT or Paperwork? most sparkies hate this aspect, If you are strong in these areas, you could offer to take some of the hassle away from him in return for his knowledge and experience......just a thought

Hi, again thankyou for your reply. The thing I am hoping for is to learn while working.. I work for the council as a payroll assistant and want to learn a trade while working so still earning money every month...are there any books i can read and then take exams without going the practical route? although I understand I have to do some practical stuff sooner or later. whats your adice on learning at home and what would you advise please?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
hiya, I did a course at technique training in chesterfield. Honestly I don't think you can learn the stuff what goes-on onsite any where but being onsite. Sitting down in a college is great for theory, which is good stuff, but all the pratical stuff will come when your doing it. I'm still very new to it, only 5 months experience, did my course last april n took a while to get someone to take me on.
Thinking I knew more than I did from being on the course, it came to me as a shock. Cudda learned all the stuff whilst working, instead paid £4000 for 6 weeks, it did get me 2381 2377 eal domestic and 2391 (need to sit the exam tho , not yet booked)

I tried to do what andyM said, just an electricians mate, would have prefered to do it that way, couldnt find anyone to take me on though, sent about 150 letters out.

books - get the new 17th bs7671 when it comes out in january
trevor linsley - basic electrical installation work

how this helps greatguy781

regards Luke

Electricians with a reasonable knowledge of BS7671 should have no trouble passing the 2381/2382 exam with flying colours without doing the course.Particularly if they're au fait with the 16th edition.Very few colleges offer the option of solely taking the exam as an external student and avoid the unnecessary money and time involved in doing the course.Obviously the colleges have a financial incentive to force competent electricians to attend their courses to learn things they already either know or can learn through applying themseves to the BS7671 book possibly accompanied by a good study aid.

What I forgot to mention was that Guildford College at its Stoke Park campus does allow external students to take the 17th edition exams.Those having done the 16th within the past 5 years or whenever can send a copy of their certificate to enable them to do the 30 question upgrade.

No timitds I didn't notice.While any electrician should pass the 17th edition exam I know that having these papers does not compensate for a lack of hands on experience.Possessing the 17th does not make one an electrician.An electrician who can't pass this exam should,I feel,change career however.

Reply to Where do I start in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net