Discuss Where do you stand on short notice cancellations? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I'm due to do a job on Wednesday which has now been cancelled. I should be able to get another job arranged by the end of the day, that said I'm tempted to stick in an invoice for maybe half a days labour, just on the principle that I could feasably have nothing else to do on that day and be stuck without a days work. Not to mention the time spent reorganising and taking back some materials I don't need. Thoughts?

haha !!!! Exactly the same as me .Except it happened twice in a row and the customer said all they could do was say sorry . Its all down to us not wanting to be rude and STIPULATING we need to be paid for the time if cancelled within 48 hours of the job. maybe even 24 hours ? . My client was going on about her costs etc as she is moving and wants her buyer to pay for this and that .But in the next breath says "I can only say sorry " !

"sorry" is not a legal signature on a cheque. bill her for the lost day.

Make sure you have it in your T&Cs including their right to cancel. Mine is less than 24 hours full rate, 48 hours half day and 7 days no charge, unless I hate the customer...

So I'm due to do a job on Wednesday which has now been cancelled. I should be able to get another job arranged by the end of the day, that said I'm tempted to stick in an invoice for maybe half a days labour, just on the principle that I could feasably have nothing else to do on that day and be stuck without a days work. Not to mention the time spent reorganising and taking back some materials I don't need. Thoughts?
You need to put in in your quotation so they are aware and you are covered to some degree; I don't personally as the shoe is sometimes on the other foot if you are bogged down and need to rearrange. Each to their own, its a sickner get it loads on EICRs with tenants.

You need to put in in your quotation so they are aware and you are covered to some degree; I don't personally as the shoe is sometimes on the other foot if you are bogged down and need to rearrange. Each to their own, its a sickner get it loads on EICRs with tenants.
Exactly what I've just had, I'll probably let it go. I think if I turned up on the day and got turned away I'd invoice for it.

I have a clause in my Terms and Conditions that basically says I have reserved the right to charge a cancellation fee, especially for short notice. On my quotation it says that accepting the quote means accepting the terms and conditions.

Having said that, I would have to be severely pi$$ed at a customer to actually charge a cancellation fee, as, has been mentioned, it can work both ways and I try to put myself in their position. But it's nice to know I have made it clear that it's an option.

problem arises with the law here. customer has 14 days to cancell any works if the original contract/agreement was made off the contractors premises.

Must be the week for it. Just had similar. Did an Eicr months back on a flat, which needed some remedials done.

Arranged with agent (I don’t normally deal with these parasites, but I didn’t have a lot of choice on this occasion as a good customer of mine had me do the eicr for their parents who had been unhappy with the agents electrician) about a month ago to go in tomorrow as tenants due to vacate over the weekend just gone. Called up today to arrange to pick up the keys and they said tenants not vacating till next week sometime now.

I asked them if they were thinking of letting me know? Slightly heated discussion follows. I really can’t stand letting agents. My client isn’t that impressed with them either. Any ideas how I can make their life difficult/inconvenience them once I have the keys without inconveniencing my customer?!

Do what every other tradesperson does to them, arrange to meet them at the property 10am on Tuesday.

when they phone you up at 10.15 to find our where you are, politely inform the that the arrangement was for NEXT Tuesday.

when next tuesday comes round, be sure to arrive at 10.30 as they will be 20 min late to annoy you!

Any ideas how I can make their life difficult/inconvenience them once I have the keys without inconveniencing my customer?!
As you only finished the work after the office closed you call them up and get them to collect the keys from you alternatively just pass them back to the landlord

Reply to Where do you stand on short notice cancellations? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net