Discuss where does one stand? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

Been working on a set of flats, fitted DB on wall and we'll cut long story short drill bit went through next doors passage and caused picture in wallpaper. Single skin brick..

Well I've left him with two options..

1) strip all paper and paper
2) strip all paper And reskim and paint.

Guy wants both otherwise he is taking legal action..

Anyone had similar?

Sometimes ---- just happens. If the cost is substantial and the guy is being difficult I'd just throw it at my insurance company and let them sort it out. If the damage is minimal I'd negotiate a satisfactory repair plan with the guy, get his signature to say he's happy with the proposal and then just fix it.

Remain calm and polite in all communications with him

Keep a copy of all communications with the bloke.

You can then prove that you have taken reasonable action to remedy the problem.

Let him take you to court if he wishes, the judge will see that you have been reasonable and that he has threatened you (with legal action) and been unreasonable.

He said it was a single skin wall so it might only be 250mm thick. It didn't really surprise me because I've also had my install teams do similar stunts.

Buy a shelf or a picture to cover the hole lol. To be fair i think you have made very reasonable offers and for him to demand you replaster then wallpaper is absurd. Either one or the other is fair in my opinion. Make him an offer in writing and keep all correspondance, avoid verbal communication to cover your bum

To be fair my wife works for a solicitor so any legal fees etc ain't a problem.. But in this case I'm just trying to be taken to the cleaners.

I'm a firm believer of if I damage something then I fix it but on the other hand I won't be taken to the cleaners either.

And it wasn't that big drill bit just really thin walls for being between flats.

Buy a shelf or a picture to cover the hole lol. To be fair i think you have made very reasonable offers and for him to demand you replaster then wallpaper is absurd. Either one or the other is fair in my opinion. Make him an offer in writing and keep all correspondance, avoid verbal communication to cover your bum

That reminds me when we bought our first house. The wide said her dad was a really good decorator.. Well after he finished the wife tried to cover the bridge job by buying shed loads of pictures

You will have to way up the pros and cons, how much will the repairs cost, if you can keep it amicable on as friendly terms you can the last think you need is going to court. What about your public liability? again paying yourself against how much a claim will cost you in the long term, good luck in ave had similar things

Sometimes ---- just happens. If the cost is substantial and the guy is being difficult I'd just throw it at my insurance company and let them sort it out. If the damage is minimal I'd negotiate a satisfactory repair plan with the guy, get his signature to say he's happy with the proposal and then just fix it.

If it comes to it then it will go on the insurance just prefer to sort it amicably but sometime this ain't possible.. Some people man..

You will have to way up the pros and cons, how much will the repairs cost, if you can keep it amicable on as friendly terms you can the last think you need is going to court. What about your public liability? again paying yourself against how much a claim will cost you in the long term, good luck in ave had similar things

I ain't had a quote bout the area the cost of plastering will be roughly same as papering so if I do both will be double the cost..

Been working on a set of flats, fitted DB on wall and we'll cut long story short drill bit went through next doors passage and caused picture in wallpaper. Single skin brick..

Well I've left him with two options..

1) strip all paper and paper
2) strip all paper And reskim and paint.

Guy wants both otherwise he is taking legal action..

Anyone had similar?
Why don't you select the solution and the decorator then you have control of the costs. I would take loads on photographs which will make him think twice about taking the p.....s .

I would say if the wall has wallpaper on it then a localised plaster repair and new wallpaper would be acceptable. Maybe if the wall had some special plaster finish then he'd be right to expect the entire wall to be redone but this doesn't sound like it is the case.

I'd put you proposed repair plan in in email and insist all correspondence is by return email. If he carries on making unreasonable demands he's going to have a much weaker case if he seeks legal remedy and it eventually goes to court. Also as Decolad suggests photos would also be a good idea.

Sweet talk the idiot, and take him out for a drink, or six. Then once he gets over his hangover, thank him for a great night, and tell him you'll say nothing to his wife ;-)

Reply to where does one stand? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net