Discuss Where is the most dangerous environment you have worked in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HMS Hermes during the Falklands conflict, and i once had to go and do a job in Moss Side in Manchester, so take your pick, probably Moss Side.

Cheers..................Howard

As the title says really

I only ask As this week I'm working in Rampton and I tell you what, I'm
Not easily scared but even I'm
On edge all day!

Worked very near there at a really isolated spot, I used to stay over night a couple of days, pitch black at night and all the other trades would wind me up about the patients escaping not easily scared at all but it did make me think.

At sea passing the coast of Somalia. Hard to tell if the skiffs are full of fishermen or pirates! Got a bit of a kick out of it. This was before I watched Captain Phillips!

We did a lot of work in the lets say homes for the mentally disturbed and unhinged of a higher category... watching you back every tool and any movements is a must ..... crapped myself regular from a bloke barging passed me butt naked to headbutt his favourite stone wall (his skull was 2" think at the front they told me as its thickens over the years)..... to seeing one fairly slim built lass fling for staff off her when she went off on one... adrenaline can make even the small one very dangerous indeed... panicked like mad when i couldn't find my stanley -- they locked down but luckily found it in the van in the footwell :shocked3:.

Did a home for abused and battered women ..we were the first male contact some of them had had in years and trying to nice and saying hello didn't go down well for one as she started screaming and shouting all manor of accusations .......we were gobsmacked but sigh of relieve when they said she does that to any male she has a deep fear of any man.... took a while for some of them to feel relaxed while we were there and to be honest its a shame they have had to endure what they have.

Beeston in LEEDS . awful place .

Ill second that ...had a big black dude wave a gun in my face cos I stopped his 12yr old pinching my tools off sight.. didn't lay a finger on him just chased him off.

Beeston and Chappletown .. we had a 2yr contract and walked away after 6months with all the hassle we got.

We did a lot of work in the lets say homes for the mentally disturbed and unhinged of a higher category... watching you back every tool and any movements is a must ..... crapped myself regular from a bloke barging passed me butt naked to headbutt his favourite stone wall (his skull was 2" think at the front they told me as its thickens over the years)..... to seeing one fairly slim built lass fling for staff off her when she went off on one... adrenaline can make even the small one very dangerous indeed... panicked like mad when i couldn't find my stanley -- they locked down but luckily found it in the van in the footwell :shocked3:.

Did a home for abused and battered women ..we were the first male contact some of them had had in years and trying to nice and saying hello didn't go down well for one as she started screaming and shouting all manor of accusations .......we were gobsmacked but sigh of relieve when they said she does that to any male she has a deep fear of any man.... took a while for some of them to feel relaxed while we were there and to be honest its a shame they have had to endure what they have.

I'm working on the peaks ward!, it's the last remaining dangerous persons unit in existence outside of a prison. I've seen sights this week that would freak anyone out

Ive worked in various nursing homes, day care centres etc etc, when you go home you are thankful that you are ok.

I also work for a west midlands councils day care centre where a man would scream at you and like someone said he would head but walls.

also, Manchester in a van with Leeds Solar sign writing on it can provoke some interesting reactions from the Man U fans (the odd few who actually live there)

Oh yeah having to drive passed all the 'ethnics' gangs in Bradford at the height of the rioting among the muslim community many years ago when they destroyed property in the millions through then see a 20 strong gang of them start chasing my van with big sticks and a few half charlies really did see my --- biting the seat. Had buttock cramp for sure when I got home.

Its a weird feeling been persecuted for been white and does give an insight as to what some people feel when victims of racism.

I'm working on the peaks ward!, it's the last remaining dangerous persons unit in existence outside of a prison. I've seen sights this week that would freak anyone out

The place i was referring to was many years ago and that same night a bloke escaped through a window climbed over a fence and was spotted running down the local train-track luckily no trains a 3am.... when they got him he had fainted from loss of blood... and the cringing part was they found half his mans dangly bag parts hanging on the barb wire still on the fence..... seriously disturbing.

Last edited:
Driving down the Falls Road many years ago when times were particularly volatile, UK plates on the van and the company I worked for's logo on the side - PAF Systems (although it didn't stand for Protestant Action Force!)....we were up in Springfield ind est and every time the building's lights flickered the local lads thought it was amusing to shout "get down!" :D

Worked in a few homes of dementia patients, the people themselves were all very polite nice people but that is a terrifying disease

As for actual locations, another one for the 'homes' of drug addicts.....and they were all storage heater jobs as well just to make things worse

Now Im in decommissioning of nuclear power stations, much better than the above (and having stood on top of the reactor* and received no dose it's almost disappointing)

*Well, after about 12ft of concrete anyway

Reply to Where is the most dangerous environment you have worked in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net