Discuss Where should sockets be fixed for integrated fridge and freezer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DRM

-
Reaction score
Happy new year anyone reading this! First thing on the agenda this year is a new kitchen which is being fit by ikea. Part of it is a free standing breakfast bar that has integrated fridge and freezer and I'm wondering where the sockets will need to be mounted for them because there's no wall? Years ago sockets used to just be loose on the floor behind the plinths but I can't imagine that's acceptable nowa days!

Happy new year anyone reading this! First thing on the agenda this year is a new kitchen which is being fit by ikea. Part of it is a free standing breakfast bar that has integrated fridge and freezer and I'm wondering where the sockets will need to be mounted for them because there's no wall? Years ago sockets used to just be loose on the floor behind the plinths but I can't imagine that's acceptable nowa days!

Sockets laid underneath plinths? Are you sure? I would suggest that was crap way of doing things, even in those days!

Sockets laid underneath plinths? Are you sure? I would suggest that was crap way of doing things, even in those days!
yeah I remember sparks doing it, to be honest it was practical because you could get to the plug without touching the appliance and socket could be turned towards you if needed replacing

I have never done it, but I suppose if they are secured in position, not just left flopping around and the plinth is easily removed then it could be ok. Some form of labelling at the consumer unit, stating where they are positioned would also prove useful.

Has the free standing breakfast bar, floor units?
Yeah one side of it has the fridge, freezer and a draw unit, and the other side is an overlapping worktop for the breakfast bar.
[automerge]1578040317[/automerge]
I have never done it, but I suppose if they are secured in position, not just left flopping around and the plinth is easily removed then it could be ok. Some form of labelling at the consumer unit, stating where they are positioned would also prove useful.
I'm just worried the ikea fitters will refuse to build the units over sockets that are fixed to the floor

Last edited:
The way I have done it in the past is put the single socket behind the built in fridge freezer, with a switch fuse connector close by, they way you are able to turn the fridge off should there be a problem. Label the switch up with what it dose. it has never been a problem with any of the one I have fitted, the socket is not likely to get damaged, and how Often do fridges break and need replacing, you have your point of isolation.

Reply to Where should sockets be fixed for integrated fridge and freezer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net