Discuss Where to bond water ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee2lee

Hi, i am having a new kitchen and need to get the water bonded.

i have looked at the pipe work, and it is as follows.

comes from the street straight into kitchen where there is a T piece, 1 side goes out to the garage to feed a tap and the other side goes to a stop cock to control the water for the house.
the tap in the garage is straight off the mains and cannot be turned off with the stop cock.

Can it be bonded from the tap pipe in the garage ?

Cheers

you should bond within 600mm of where the water enters the building, before any branch. usually this is after the stop tap, but as you describe it, the garage is tee'd off before the tap. either way, if there is continuity through the stop tap, both the house water and the garage water will be equipotentially bonded, so it doesn't make a lot of difference. personally i would fix the bond on the house side of the tap, ensuring it's accessible for inspection. as you will be introducing an earth potential into the garage, there may be other issues to address.

As tele' says, bond just before T piece in the house.
If there are electrics in the garage, then supplementary bond the tap, or ensure all circuits are RCD protected.
Essentially treat the garge as a bathroom.

I think tele said to bond on the house side of the tap,
I would agree with that, then if anything is changed before the stop tap it isnt a problem, it doesnt become your pipe until after the stoptap. AFAIAA.

Reply to Where to bond water ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net